Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MMW Ignition EQ Review part II (No bashing plz)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MMW Ignition EQ Review part II (No bashing plz)

foreword: if you want the substance of this post, skip the following 4 paragraphs:

I'm probably going to get slammed by a mod for this.

But I had actually written out a lengthly reply for the MMW Ignition EQ review. Unfortunately, by the time I finished my post, the topic was locked and the thread was dead (and I wasted like 15 minutes writing something... its annoying how many times this has actually happened to me)

I'm somewhat concerned b/c the review of the MMW Ignition EQ could be in some ways viewed as an ad. I realize that sponsorship is the way things work in the aftermarket industry, so I don't fault Evildave promoting his sponsor's products. But I felt for it to be a proper review, there should be some more discussion as to the merits of the piece. I was saddened that circumstances forced him to lock the thread before anything of the sort could be discussed.

The reason I asked whether the MMW Ignition EQ differed from the Weapon-R Ignition EQ was b/c I remember when the Weapon-R piece was first released, it was slammed as being a waste of money. I found it somewhat interesting that it received a much warmer reception this time around (except by, of course, the Weapon-R haters).

The conventional wisdom back then was that the ignition EQ piece does exactly the same thing a ground wire kit would do. Except a ground wire kit is much much cheaper (especially when you make it yourself)

Given that the performance effects of a ground wire kit are already dubious to some, the only thing left the weapon-R piece had going for it was looks. However, since the piece goes under the engine cover, that was of dubious value as well. Thus there was very little with which the piece could justify its $100+ price tag.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slam this product or the company. I simply wish to know, given the info above, why should I (and by extension, anyone) buy this product? That is the one question I think any review of the product should definately answer. So I guess I'm kinda putting Weapon-R/MMW guys on the spot on this, but I think if you can answer the question, you'd get a lot more customers for the piece. Otherwise I think this is one of those things I'd only get if I really had the money to burn.

-Chimmy

P.S. All those still bearing grudges against Weapon-R, please leave this thread alone, unless you truly have something of substance to add. I think we all know how you guys feel by now, you can always air the "why" in a thread of your own creation if you feel it necessary to do so.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

well wriiten..well put..opinions and questions are what a forum tick
Old 11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Nice points raised!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

copy and paste well, copy before you post just in case since it's happened to you so many times anyways.

anywho, seriously, can someone answer this question? cause i have noooo idea what the piece in question does. thanks for the answers guys.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im just curious to see peoples input on this product that actually own it, not what people think about MMW or Weapon R. I have personally never owned any of their products so I have nothing good, nor bad to say at this point.
Side note, Brad happy bday btw and also I see it says coming to SC Mar 06...is that So Cal or So Carolina?? If its the Carolinas which I highly doubt then Welcome to our side buddy!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very good point ..i was one of the guys who got dave a little mad but iwasnt trying to bash him or the prouduct ,just trying to say what you were saying we want to hear from people who arnt sponsered ...sorry if you took me wrong dave..id like to see some numbers or a facts... you probely know im not a big weapon-r fan but im not a band wagoner ...i have my reasons but were not going to talk about that..i d like to see what they have to offer.....
Old 11-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Im just curious to see peoples input on this product that actually own it, not what people think about MMW or Weapon R. I have personally never owned any of their products so I have nothing good, nor bad to say at this point.
Side note, Brad happy bday btw and also I see it says coming to SC Mar 06...is that So Cal or So Carolina?? If its the Carolinas which I highly doubt then Welcome to our side buddy!!!
Vito, THANKS! Its Ft Jackson SC, if I re-up in May. Depends on my right arm.

I would like to see what others who have this installed think also. I know its works on other cars, and would like to see what others have to say.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Originally Posted by 05_camo_boxb
very good point ..i was one of the guys who got dave a little mad but iwasnt trying to bash him or the prouduct ,just trying to say what you were saying we want to hear from people who arnt sponsered ...sorry if you took me wrong dave..id like to see some numbers or a facts... you probely know im not a big weapon-r fan but im not a band wagoner ...i have my reasons but were not going to talk about that..i d like to see what they have to offer.....
It's no big deal! I just got bent that the whole sponsorship thing got brought up.Trust me I've told a few of my sponsors "Hell No I'm not putting that thing on my car !!!" they don't really like it much when you do that but I don't care. I have a lot of sponsors but I'm very picky when it comes to whom I will accept and I've turned down just as many as I've taken on. I know Weapon-R had a bad rep in the past but they have really turn everything around the quality of the new products from MMW or Weapon-R are really going to raise the bar. If anyone runs into me at a meet or just hanging out I'll let you drive my car ( I'll be in the pass seat though) So no hard feelings about any of this, It's all good.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should change your name to SUPER DAVE ...lol...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorta off topic sorry lol

some points ive been thinking about a little bit the last few days myself, on how people may not like something so they see a thread talking about what they dont like...so they have to post and say why....which is OK if someone says "lookin for OPINIONS" then its ok...

what i am doing myself is forcing myself NOT to post in threads where im tempted to say the opposite, not that its always bad..but whats the point? why not let the people who are into that subject just enjoy it

my 2 cents

on topic: interesting, ive been reading some of these topics for this part also and have been curious. My thought is it actually does help, the problem is how people who promote it word it. Like if you say a ground wire kit "adds some hp" that just seems kinda weird and peoples first reaction is going to be....uhhh yeah ok, like 1/4 of a hp??..instead what it really does is just make things more consistant, and less varied..that result makes the car perform better based on smoothness and consistancy

omg if that makes any sense lol
Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Originally Posted by elusivedragon
on topic: what it really does is just make things more consistant, and less varied..that result makes the car perform better based on smoothness and consistancy

omg if that makes any sense lol
The answer is yes. I like the easy questions it makes life soo much easier.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for finding out what this actually does....for us not in the know....
Old 11-19-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very well put. I too am curious as to price and functionality.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, for those wondering what it does...
It basically grounds the coil packs.

As for how (or if) grounding actually helps performance...
I would suggest searching, the topic has been debated many times before.

Most people will agree that grounding does have an effect (smoother idles, smoother revs, etc.), but whether that translates into any performance gains is another question entirely.

I don't doubt that this piece helps in grounding the coil packs and probably does it really really well. My question is more of a ... in what way is this piece worth the price it costs?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as much as some of us spend on "goodies" i dont think its a big deal honestly...its another thing you CAN do

i would say though that it really may not be worth the actual value...but what really is? is an exhaust REALLy worth 300.00? even 200? is an intake worth 150.00? for how much gain??

if an intake gives you 2hp is it really worth 150.00?? maybe not but i spent the cash lol and its how it goes along with everything else that makes the difference. if you add exhaust...intake...then add headers now your making a overall difference...then add plugs....ground wire kit....its all of these things that add up to the whole package i think that makes the difference

this is just my impression!!

i could be wrong of course, sorta just chatting about it in general too, im still learning