Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My Problems with the Fuel Rail...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks for the write up super!

unlmtdndeavor... try a different toyota dealership... some dealerships are lazier then others...

when i had to buy oem honda parts, i used to drive close to an hour to sloane honda, just to get parts... they were super fast and super cheap and were really friendly...

try different toyota parts deptartments in your area and see which one works the best, or which one is actually willing to work for you...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

have you put your car on the dyno since the fuel rail? I'd like to see if it actually does function properly. I just got my car off the dyno the other day and my air/fuel ratio is not what i'd like it to be.

-duey
Old 02-24-2005, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no dyno yet....still have 200 mile to properly break in the clutch (done at the same time...)
Old 02-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Hmm, sounds like maybe David has a 1st gen fuel rail or the wrong fuel rail if Adam is saying nothing hits in the install. How about Perrin sending David a fuel rail to see if its the same one he has installed?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
Hmm, sounds like maybe David has a 1st gen fuel rail or the wrong fuel rail if Adam is saying nothing hits in the install. How about Perrin sending David a fuel rail to see if its the same one he has installed?
We all know that's not gonna happen squirrel . Lokwhat happened to me .
Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Munch
We all know that's not gonna happen squirrel . Lokwhat happened to me .
Ya, I know. I was hoping for the best!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default Well........

Munch: I don't know what happened to you. I have personally spoken to you on several occasions and you never expressed to me that you had an ongoing problem. However, if something has happened or something that wasn't previously addressed by me or the staff here, please just let me know.

Back to the issue of the fuel rails.

I had an opportunity to get our test mule back over here to the shop. The rail that is installed on that vehicle does not have the stainless braided line and also used a different fitting/coupler at the rail itself. As I mentioned before ours did not hit.

I personally removed the prototype part and installed a production version fresh out of the box. The stainless line/clamp/fitting prevented proper fit without modifcation to the opening in the valve cover. WE agree that the easiest way to solve the interference is to remove a portion of the valve cover. This can be done to a lesser extreme than shown in the photos above. Or (this is the recommended way) is to relieve a portion of metal with a dremel type tool. The hoop is placed there by the factory to protect the fuel supply line . The removal of it completely is not recommended.

Our apologies for any inconvenience to any affected customers. If a consumer has received the part and is unwilling to make the modification, please return it to the retailer for a refund. If the retailer has any issue with the return please have them contact me directly.

Finally, an installation note will accompany the current shipments to make the customer aware of the steps necessary to properly fit the product.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have always wondered what the intended purpose of this particular item is? Is it designed as a dress-up item only or do you purport some type of power increase? Are you under the impression that there is something lacking in the stock fuel rail? I'm very curious about this product.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the pupose of a fuel rail is to supply fuel to the injectors....(i know...duh)
if you need to supply a larger amount of fuel to the motor (from boosting or N2O) it helps to increase the delivery capacity of the fuel system.
this will ensure you don't lean out (not have enought fuel delivered). too lean and the motor could blow up...
the chances of leaning out are slim (only at prolonged high revs...)
Old 02-24-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dremel would work (i confess, i did the extreme route...)

overall the product is great, just the unknown installation hiccups worried me....
now that the instructions are enhanced, future customers will be fine...
Old 02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hello....

The part is designed both as a dress up item as well as an insurance policy for vehicles that are adding extra HP. The rail has a larger ID to allow a larger volume of fuel to be available behind the injector. Without this rail some vehicles will experience lean conditions on the cylinder farthest away from the input source.

As always let us know if we can help further!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

i installed the perrin fuel rails on an 02 WRX.. what a headache.. i would NEVER want to repeat that performance..

perrin doesn't really make PERFECT FITTING parts.. .. but they are PRETTY lol..
Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Hello....

Originally Posted by PERRIN ADAM
The part is designed both as a dress up item as well as an insurance policy for vehicles that are adding extra HP. The rail has a larger ID to allow a larger volume of fuel to be available behind the injector. Without this rail some vehicles will experience lean conditions on the cylinder farthest away from the input source.

As always let us know if we can help further!
As a dress-up item it looks real sweet under that engine cover! Would "some vehicles" include any XBs, since you sell them for XBs? If anyone has an XB that requires more fuel than the stock rail can supply without "experiencing lean conditions on the cylinder farthest away from the input source" I would be most interested in hearing from you! In the meantime I would have to surmize thyat this product is totally useless.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

when your forced induction like myself and dgHotLava you'll need a fuel system upgrade for sure. Under full boost my car dips dangerously lean. I'll be picking up this fuel rail soon along with other stuff to get my air/fuel mixture back to a safe level.

On a stock motor it'll never get to the point where it is going to lean out to a dangerous condition.

dgHotLava,

You plan on dyno'ing anytime soon? I'd like to compare our sheets when you do. I love your setup compared to mines but i'm a turbo addict. Your engine bay looks SOOO much better than mines.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

too be honest, i missed yours....i wanted to talk, but got swamped...
if you make the next meet, i'll get to see you set up better(not 100 feet away...)

yes, i plan on taking it to the dyno... need to finish breaking in the clutch and take a day off to do it....

i still think my engine bay looks like an un-made bed...it's kinda messy. but the mess is hidden so it doesn't jump right out at you....
waiting till it warms up to finish...(damn, it snowed again!)
Old 02-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Dave, sounds like you have a faulty Toyota engine/injector fitment! And Munch has a faulty crank shaft!

Sorry, just trying to brighten things up.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dave, sounds like you have a faulty Toyota engine/injector fitment! And Munch has a faulty crank shaft!

and i have a busted engine
Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

seems like perrin fessed up to this one too...
i emailed them asking if the test fit the item i have...they said yes...
next day they said they took off the prototype part and tried putting on the production part....guess what....it did not fit!!!

I don’t really mind…as my efforts make the car more of me…

I am happy tho, all my external engine mods are done. Now I get to work on the transmission mods…
Every little bit brings me closer to my biggest challenge, internal engine mods…
(i need to talk to someone...but they might not help me out...letting things cool down before i ask...)
Old 02-27-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who else has done injectors besides me? Anyhow, the fuel rail on the 1nz is almost identical to the one on the 2zz... the dimensions are very similar, therefore I would say that this fuel rail upgrade is useless. 2zz's have 310cc injectors, and I don't see them leaning out any cylinders from the factory lol.

Money is better spent in larger injectors and some proper tuning.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i like it when a company can admit it screwed up and takes the proper steps to correct things..

and i like that perrin is making things for the box no one is...

but .. i wonder what's going on over there at perrin... this is the second prototype to production mishap so far ... by my count that's 2 for 3... i only only hope for them no one finds problems with the oil catch can...

Quick Reply: My Problems with the Fuel Rail...