Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NOLOGY hotwires any good? can U feel the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
i have been in the automotive repair and tuning scene for almost 10 years and have never seen a wire or plug make power...unless there was something terribly wrong with the part it replaced!!
The 1NZ-FE has a coil on plug design that is the most efficient setup for almost any engine
deviating from this will not only void your warranty(if u care)
it will cause your coils to work so much harder to overcome the capacitor and cylinder pressure vs. just cylinder pressure
I cannot say these are not worth the money or not

but I will say that those who spend...are gonna defend
no one wants to be the guinea pig-moron

I turned wrenches for 20 years before I went back to school for Engineering and I have to agree. Over the years lots of companies have tried lots of tricks and the bottom line is that you can't beat a carbon core resistor wire hooked to a resistor plug.

The so called "Capicitor effect" of shielded wires screws with the timing causing misfire and LOSS of power. I have to admit that if you are building a car for liiks and these will show they look the best. Moot point here as you can't see the wires on a Scion.

Copper core wires will give you a longer life, but if they are close anything feris (stuff with iron in it) they lose energy to inductive capicatence. I don't think anyone even makes these any more I believe Accell was the last company that made them and even they said they sucked.

Carbon Core wires tend to wear out over time, and should be handled as little as possable and should NEVER be bent at sharp angles. Take them out of the box, lay them out and install them then don't touch then until you replace them with the new plugs.

Never use "Build them yourself" wires of any kind unless you have the proper equipment to crimp the ends on, a hydraulic or pneumatic crimper and a proper spark plug wire stripping tool.

When you do install new plugs and wires don't forget to use the silicone sealer that came with them, if you didn't get sealer go back to the store and buy some. If you drive your car on this planet you have to seal the plug boots. The only exception is if you are doing heavy duty drag racing you may not want to seal the boots, if you are drag racing and need to "vent" your boots you will know after your first pass untill then seal the boots.

There is a reason carbon core wires have been around for almost 100 years and all this other crap comes and goes. It is crap that is why.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

seal the boots? whats the poing. unless you have massive oil leaks through your valve cover...

on honduhs they produce power. dyno proven on a buddies prelude. but honduhs have a distributer and you aren't adding length of wire between the coil(s) and the plug like the nology scion kits do.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bblhed,TXboxdriver, you guys are right on the money! At last we find some intelligence on this forum. I would put Nology wires right behind the Turbonator on my must-have list, yet I see so many people come on here and post how great they are. Then some other young fellow asks where he can buy a set too! Not unlike the " I put in irridium plugs and my car runs so much better!!!" To tune a car properly you first must be very objective and learn how to test and evaluate what you have done. The best racers can do this well and some have exceptional mechanics that can do it for them if they cannot. I have a Toyota scan-tool that helps me be very objective and quantify results in real time. I have yet to see any ignition product of any kind out perform the stock setup. If you went back in time 30 years ago, sure ignition systems could be inproved. But todays federally regulated emissions standards for system monitoring allow for 0% missfire PERIOD. If your car misfired 1 single time it would be recorded in the misfire data list and could be reviewed in freeze-frame. If you have a stock ignition system that NEVER EVER misfires (not even once!), how exactly do you improve on that???? If some fuel was being left unburned, the A/F sensor and sub O2 sensor would detect this and this info would be revealed in long and short fuel trim numbers. I only wish more people could understand how these engines actually work and see how foolish some of these claims seem to those that do know better. When someone posts asking if something works or not and the responses are somewhat divided, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and educate yourself to the point that YOU can make a sound decision. Want more power? How about a turbo? Have you ever seen someone post that turbos don't increase HP? Maybe that's because turbos indeed DO increase power and it's fairly easy to evaluate after you install one. If you have to strain yourself to tell if your new mod increased power, it probably wasn't so worthwhile in the first place. Don't fall for hype, hold out for results.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

still ssay it worked great on my heavily modded eclipse gsx...
Old 09-07-2005, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Scott17
bblhed,TXboxdriver, you guys are right on the money! At last we find some intelligence on this forum. I would put Nology wires right behind the Turbonator on my must-have list, yet I see so many people come on here and post how great they are. Then some other young fellow asks where he can buy a set too! Not unlike the " I put in irridium plugs and my car runs so much better!!!" To tune a car properly you first must be very objective and learn how to test and evaluate what you have done. The best racers can do this well and some have exceptional mechanics that can do it for them if they cannot. I have a Toyota scan-tool that helps me be very objective and quantify results in real time. I have yet to see any ignition product of any kind out perform the stock setup. If you went back in time 30 years ago, sure ignition systems could be inproved. But todays federally regulated emissions standards for system monitoring allow for 0% missfire PERIOD. If your car misfired 1 single time it would be recorded in the misfire data list and could be reviewed in freeze-frame. If you have a stock ignition system that NEVER EVER misfires (not even once!), how exactly do you improve on that???? If some fuel was being left unburned, the A/F sensor and sub O2 sensor would detect this and this info would be revealed in long and short fuel trim numbers. I only wish more people could understand how these engines actually work and see how foolish some of these claims seem to those that do know better. When someone posts asking if something works or not and the responses are somewhat divided, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and educate yourself to the point that YOU can make a sound decision. Want more power? How about a turbo? Have you ever seen someone post that turbos don't increase HP? Maybe that's because turbos indeed DO increase power and it's fairly easy to evaluate after you install one. If you have to strain yourself to tell if your new mod increased power, it probably wasn't so worthwhile in the first place. Don't fall for hype, hold out for results.
yeah untill the turbo blows this crappy motor to bits. or you de-tune it to be safe and u just got hosed out of 2+thousand dollars for less than 40 hp gain.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
seal the boots? whats the poing. unless you have massive oil leaks through your valve cover...
Point is that if you don't seal the boots the will eventualy leach water up into the boot causing misfire, and carbon tracing along the side again causing misfire. Do you realy think all those plug wire companies would spend the money and add the cost of silicone sealer if it didn't work? If you don't believe me look in the boots of any 10 quality sets of plug wires, you will find a glob of silicone in there. Silicone sealer is probably the only improvement to plug wires made in the last 75 years besides better jacketing (also silicone) that has made a diffrence.

If you can't remember having to cary a can of WD-40 in case it rains, or don't know why you would want to cary it or how you would use in the rain, thank silicone jacketd plug wires, and boot seal.

And just how many miles were on that Honda when the wires were swaped? 80K + on the original wires? I don't see anyone saying that they swaped brand new carbon core wires for this crap and saw an improvement. There is a reason for that.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

what parts are siliconed together? cuz i've installed many many wire sets and never noticed any and never had mis fires.

and he had 2 or 3 month old 8 mm wires on then swapped to nology wires.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you look up in the boot on a new set of wires you will see a little white glob in there, that is the silicone that seals the boot to the plug. They are nice enough to put it in there for you at the factory because they know you need it.

The stuff is like silicone you use on your tires, only thicker, NOT "form-a-gasket"!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what parts are siliconed together? cuz i've installed many many wire sets and never noticed any and never had mis fires.

The silicone is dielectric grease and seals out moisture, prevents the boot from seizing to the plug body, and keeps spark form trying to get out of the boot. And you say he had"2 or 3 month old 8mm wires". Were these some aftermarket crap too? The real test would be to try a new set of stock wires and then the Nology, to see the difference then. Did you see the post where I tried to emphasize the importance of RELEVANT, logical testing, and the ability to understand what it tells you? I find it amusing that some of the more vocal "experts" on this subject would not know the most basic of topics such as dielectric grease and its function. Rule #1: educate yourself before trying to educate others.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find it amusing that some of the more vocal "experts" on this subject would not know the most basic of topics such as dielectric grease and its function. Rule #1: educate yourself before trying to educate others.
Spoken like a man that knows why you used to cary WD-40 and how to use it
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hell yeah! My first car was a whipped 69 Nova SS396. Hit a puddle at speed and car would conk out! Wash the engine and it would take quite a while to get running again. WD-40 was a life-saver!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

The silicone is dielectric grease and seals out moisture, prevents the boot from seizing to the plug body, and keeps spark form trying to get out of the boot. And you say he had"2 or 3 month old 8mm wires". Were these some aftermarket crap too? The real test would be to try a new set of stock wires and then the Nology, to see the difference then. Did you see the post where I tried to emphasize the importance of RELEVANT, logical testing, and the ability to understand what it tells you? I find it amusing that some of the more vocal "experts" on this subject would not know the most basic of topics such as dielectric grease and its function. Rule #1: educate yourself before trying to educate others.
ah well dielectric grease is a helluva lot different than silicone. at least in my book.

and the wires were 8mm accel spiral core wires. very common in the hot rod/performance car market. not cheap crap capacitor wires as so most of you think.
yes i did see your post about relevent testing. and dyno tuning would be relevent to me. he used to work at a shop with virtually unlimited dyno access
and in case you were implying i was an expert. never have i said such a thing.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Um, dielectric grease is pure silicone to be exact. Relevant testing would be back to back dyno tests with the Accel wires, Nology wires and new stock wires, and then repeat about 5 times or so and average your findings. It would be highly unlikely that the Nology wires would prove to be an improvement. I was not referring to just you on the other comment. I have be "enlightened"by many "experts"on this forum.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

when i think silicone i think the caulking type.
no way to test stock wires , to accel to nology he has since sold the car.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You wouldn't want ***** filled with caulk would you? Silicone is a viscous fluid. Thickened, it is the consistency of grease. Silicone sealants have polymers, plasticisers, and hardeners added so it will cure to a rubbery state. Silicone by itself will never dry or harden. (Luckily for many voluptious women!)
Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ha ha ha . lol. true. but fake ones suck 90% of the time anyways. ha ha i'll just look for a naturally vuluptious woman. lol
Old 09-08-2005, 12:32 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back some time ago I went in for the spark plug wire stuff, and I tried them all. Believe me I tried just about every wire set you could imagine. For my money, and I did spend a lot of it on wires you just can't beat a good set of wires from the parts store or even the ones from the dealer.

Even if you do see a few horses from a set of gimic wires, they just wear out too quickly for me. Now I drive 60 miles a day for work, and I'm just not willing to risk sitting on the side of the road. Too many of those so called good plug wires let me down at dark thirty for me to ever trust them again. I would maybe use Accel carbon core basic fitted wires but that is mostly for looks, and I would cary a spair set just in case.

Save your money. and use it for something else that will give you more bang for the buck. Even colored flex loom for the underhood wiring is a better investment. at least you will be able to see it.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

eww flex tubing is hideous. lol