Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

nology wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default nology wires

they are for show and do not deliver any gains. in fact as a static disharge wire if they ever fail they can cause sever eletrical damge or fire under the hood just a heads up.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is an extensive write up by some guy on scion tech about the wires go read he disected them it's interesting what he found I'm not going to spoil the suprise I mean gimmick.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You got a link?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just checked scion-tech couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got it.. scion-tech web site...

http://scion-tech.com/zerothread?id=881
Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seriously hate you Oldmanatee. Providing that link so I would even attempt to read those horrible postings. Some paragraphs would have been nice. It really did become just too hard to read. Besides the fact that it went from a thread that might have had some worth while information to a total _____ fest.

Either way, I stand by the statement I have always made. Any plug wires (Nology or other brand) are not worth installing on a coil on plug ignition system until the plug wire manufacturer can show irrefutable empirical evidence that they improve either efficiency or performance.

I know people are holding out for that holy grail that MSD is supposed to be developing. (Mentioned in that thread.) But I'd bet dollars to donuts the difference between it and the stock system will be inconsequential in terms of efficiency and performance. In other words, not worth the money.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I kinda hate me for that too......But if I had to try to read that diatribe, I wanted to spread the joy....

Even if the companies did get the situation figured out, what real benefit would it give? An extra 1 mpg? You can get that by taking your spare out. Will they make your 1/4 mile times the envy of John Force??? If you are making your living dragging an xA, that aint living..... You better have alreay put a magneto in there.......

I admit, I didn't read the entire thread..I started nodding off....
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
Hey, I kinda hate me for that too......But if I had to try to read that diatribe, I wanted to spread the joy....

Even if the companies did get the situation figured out, what real benefit would it give? An extra 1 mpg? You can get that by taking your spare out. Will they make your 1/4 mile times the envy of John Force??? If you are making your living dragging an xA, that aint living..... You better have alreay put a magneto in there.......

I admit, I didn't read the entire thread..I started nodding off....
Yeah man that was a novel on the net. It was really interesting at first then the next thing I know it's you said this so I say this arguement. They look nice, but what happens when it's time to change out the wires. I'll stick to the coil over plug and the 15 minute tune up. Sure beats having to do a tune up on GM's quad 4 engine. Who needs wires anyway. . .lol
Old 07-07-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am ready to embrace the coil on plug technology...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it's great until you have a problem with the coil. . . then it's expensive. . .lol. . . just keep up the maintenence.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the maintenance required???? I am ignorant of anything that can be done to the coils....
Old 07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member

just go for ngk iridium plugs for $40.00. They give you hotter spark, better fuel efficiency, and more power. I've installed them you can feel the difference, I think it's worth it. $40.00 is better than $180.00 and I think they do the same thing.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Already runnin 'em!! And they'd be worth twice the price!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

30k miles change the plugs unless you're running iridium or platinum. I'm not sure what the maintenance on those are. Probably around 60k-120k depending on the plug. There really isn't any maintenance on the coils, just don't go too long without replaceing the plugs. Basically the plugs when worn out will put more stress on the coil in turn causing them to go bad. Happens to the General motors DIS system all the time. It's rare on Toyota's but I've seen it happen.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

fwiw, I bought the wires off of that guy, and he hadn't disected them.

That dood really isn't the brightest light on the tree.

The bottom line is - I have the nology wires, and I don't think they improve performance *at all*. They just look good. I was just looking for soemthing that hadn't been completely played out in my area, that would look good at shows.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cherrybox....I will give you that... they are different and they do look good! I'm sure the red wires in the engine bay of that black cherry really stands out!! But, I thought he had sent one to Associated Press, who was very interested in doing an expose' on such blatant fraud...
So, the important question is, while you say there is NO improvement, is there any loss of performance?

And thank you Ghost 1 and xbjoker, I have learned a lot from each of you today.....

from spark-plug.co.uk
Service life of some OEM Iridium spark plugs can be as much as 120000 miles with very little degrading of performance in that lifespan. NGK Iridium IX types have a centre electrode tipped with Iridium alloy with a 0.6mm diameter. NGK believe this gives the optimum balance between performance and service life. Service life estimates can be up to 60000 miles for normally aspirated car engines and up to 20000 miles for motorcycles - this is extremely subjective though, a high revving motorcycle or extremely modified car engine will most likely wear plugs out in a few thousand miles.

I think I can afford $40 before 60,000 miles....
Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

associated press? yeah, they care about an aftermarket part for our cars.

like i said, gotta take that guy with a grain of salt. The beauty of this guy was that he was so upset with the wires that I was able to relieve him of his burden fairly cheaply, so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

I don't see any noticeable diff on the butt-dyno, but I only stick em in once in a while. To directly answer the question, no, I do not see a performance loss.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.....and, hey, you can't pass up a good deal, right?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

more like *instigate* a great deal...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to start a big debate or anything, but Iridium plugs do nothing more than provide a longer service life. And I know that is why you bought the oldmanatee.

The reality is, you can get better spark and a smoother idle from standard copper plugs than you can platinums or iridiums. The drawback again is service life. Dollar wise it is probably a wash. Copper is cheaper, but you have to change more often. The only real savings is labor time/cost. For some that is worth the cost. For others, they would rather spend the extra time to swap plugs more often for the slight performance benefit of copper.

Quick Reply: nology wires