Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Over heating

I live in the central valley with the heat here I'm worried about it over heating. Has anyone had theirs over heat yet. I think if the overheat light is on it is to late and some engine damage has been done. Any body else worry obout overheating?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it doesn't matter how hot it is, as long as ur cooling system is in tact it will be fine. intact being that ur hoses don't leak, ur radiator holds pressure, and ur water pump is doing its job. as hot as it is here in cali, i don't think it is even close to arizona or the southern part of nevada. i.e. the desert. even the ppl there should be fine wif overheating issues if the car is in tip top shape. unless u got a beater from the 80's i wouldn't worry about overheating issues.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

you're worried about Fresno heat?

There are people in AZ where it's 115+, and people in TX where it's 100+ and humid.

No overheating issues whatsoever. These are new cars, and if there ever was an issue, it'd be dealt with by the dealer.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anything can happen. Check out this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...379&highlight=
Old 07-30-2006, 06:25 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fan kicks in at around little bit above 180 degres with the a/c on

and it kicks on at 210 degress with the a/c off...

tested mine today and thats when it turned on...
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hayalex6

There are people in AZ where it's 115+, and people in TX where it's 100+ and humid.

No overheating issues whatsoever. These are new cars, and if there ever was an issue, it'd be dealt with by the dealer.

It has been 112 with extreme humidity in CA over the last week or so. The worst I remember in 54 years of living here............
Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Ouch, didn't know about that. Very abnormal (I grew up in So. Cal and I don't remember it EVER being that hot)

At least it's just a freak thing for you guys though, it's been over 100 here for the past couple of months.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

We hit 118 last week but it was a dry heat! As far as overheating I haven't had any issues...I do notice that the fan is always kicking on...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
Originally Posted by hayalex6

It has been 112 with extreme humidity in CA over the last week or so. The worst I remember in 54 years of living here............

yea i dont remember cali being this hot ever. its even hot a midnight.

i just drove through vegas in 122 degree weather no problems over heating. less than a week later i past through fresno, no problem, then i drove into Yosemite and up and down those high grade hills with the AC on, even though there were signs that said, "turn ac off". car is still alive.

one more thing, my xB was full loaded with camping gear during the hill climb
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand the original poster's concern. But I don't think the heat in Fresno is an issue for the xB. Even with the recent heat wave. My wife's xB did just fine driving in the heat with no ill affects.

Heat can do some pretty funny things to cars. My Prelude wouldn't start for a little while due to heat. After checking all of the normal stuff, all I could really find was a little corrosion on the battery connections. Talking to a couple people, they only thing we could all figure was extreme heat causing some sort of vapor lock in the fuel pump. And again this was on my '98 Prelude, NOT the wife's '05 xB.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coupla tips for anybody concerned with possible overheating-

Check the oil every time you fill up. Low oil will lead to overheating just as much as low coolant. If it's an auto, check the trans fluid...

Check the coolant level in the reservoir at the same time, even check the level in the radiator itself when the engine is at its coldest, like after it's been sitting overnight...

Blast out the a/c condenser and radiator when you wash the car...

Listen for the fan to kick on shortly after the car is shut off on a hot day, run for awhile, and then shutoff... engine temp actually rises for a brief time when the engine is shutoff, so exploit that to check fan operation...

Never put your fingers anywhere near the fan on a hot engine...

If the car ever overheats, shut it off as soon as possible, and do not start it back up until you're absolutely certain the reason has been remedied... That doesn't mean the next exit or the next town, it means shut it off when you can get on the shoulder of the road...
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I wish we had a real temp gauge! It use to help to turn on the heater if you started to overheat in order to disapate some of the heat. With only the idiot light Jhhnn offers the best policy............
Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
I wish we had a real temp gauge! It use to help to turn on the heater if you started to overheat in order to disapate some of the heat. With only the idiot light Jhhnn offers the best policy............
cranking the heater on full blast still helps!!! and burn you out of your car thats the only draw back too that