Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Perrin Coolant hoses/inline water temp sender unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Perrin Coolant hoses/inline water temp sender unit

Hey guys and gals. So when I first got my box I stuck Perrin's aftermarket hoses on because the OEM ones were frail and starting to crack. I just got a gauge pod and was going to install a temp gauge and wanted to know if anyone knew the size of the hoses so I can get a proper inline sender unit. I didn't want to get one too small or large, I know it'll be a snug fit anyway and clamped in, but I'm overly cautious I guess.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edward -- I've never seen a sender unit installed in the manner that you stated. Every sender I've seen was installed into the engine block or cylinder head. Are you planning on cutting one of the water hoses and adding a "T" fitting?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Yes I plan on cutting the upper most hose. That's the only way I've seen it done with our scions, both on this forum, xbtalk and clubxb. Everyone got an inline sender unit because of the complexity of installing one directly into the block. I'd like to have done it that way for a cleaner look and to avoid cutting my new-ish hose but everyone else stated it was the best way to be done.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doing a Google search wasn't much help. Couldn't find any specs for their products. Saw a bunch of stuff for subarus but not much for anything else. You may have to call a online vendor and get the specs that way. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM

Thanks, because it had taken anyone a length of time to post on here I already went ahead and got the 30mm one. Our stock hoses are 28mm so I just went based on that. I'll be making the cut this week (after this storm blows over). It's supposed to be low 60's come Friday so we'll see!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't see your post until today. I don't come over here as often as I used to. I'll be looking forward to your write up. And stay safe.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran an inline temp sender for a while, but never could get consistant temp readings. I have since switched to an Autometer sending unit. I placed it in the engine block drain as seen here http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43833 Its just above and to the right of the exhaust manifold. The sending unit is a direct replacement for the drain plug, and will thread right in. It has given consistant readings for 2 years now with no hiccups. Note you only have to remove the screw in the drain plug!!! Not the whole plug assy. if you are using the Autometer sending unit.
I seen that you had already ordered an inline unit. If that isnt what you need, Mishimoto makes universal ones in a few different sizes and colors.
http://search.mishimoto.com/search?c...apters&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Where did you get your autometer sending unit from? The unit came with my gauges, would that fit in the block? I have no clue what the thread size is on it.

If the inline doesn't work well or I'm displeased with the looks I'll just get a new hose and attempt the block method. I was just tired of searching for the easy way that I went with this style. Especially because it was an expensive hose to be cutting into, kinda ____ed but oh well right? Lol!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats kinda why I suggested going the block route, as I know those hoses are not cheap by any means, and cutting into them would make me unhappy too.

I got my sending unit from Summit Racing. I think it ran me $30, and it comes with I believe 3 different thread sizes that the sending unit itself threads into for obvious universal applications. Nevermind after thinking about it, Im all but positive the sending unit itself threads right into the port where the screw you removed goes. Im 99% sure this is the one I got. But as it states it's for use only with short sweep gauges. Not 100% it will work with non Autometer gauges. Only $13 + shipping. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2258/overview/
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Microimageonline.com has them in the Yaris area, if they aren't in the XB part of the online store.