Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pic: TWE oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pic: TWE oil catch can

I installed my TWE oil catch can today, nothing special.. I had to use some of my own hose to reach where I mounted it, but all in all, its cool..

and under the cover plumbing..

Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

I'm sorry for my ignorance but what is the purpose? Is it supposed to be a solution to engine blow by? I've always thought that only high milage vehicles have blow by problems.Clean engine by the way.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by black_sand_box
I'm sorry for my ignorance but what is the purpose? Is it supposed to be a solution to engine blow by? I've always thought that only high milage vehicles have blow by problems.Clean engine by the way.
I was just about to ask the same question.. I have no idea what they're for..
Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It catches the oil blow by in the PCv system, before it enters the intake.. Will take roughly 60 thousand miles to see the difference it makes..
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

WTF? You're telling me that these motors have blow by problems at 60K? It doesn't say much for the motors that we have!If that's true that is.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not a blow by problem, it is a natural occurance in the
PCV, positive crankcase ventilation system, cars at 60k
miles or more develop deposits in the manifold, like all cars
with a pcv system, these deposits after time create poor
performance and valve deposits.. the catch can, helps reduce
that... its not piston blow by like i think you are refering.

"Oil Catch Tanks collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas
that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system
and engine to keep them clean even under the hardest driving
conditions."
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

p.s. its not at 60k that it starts, its just around then, the small deposits made by the system have collected into heavy deposits, that deplete intake performance.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for like $6 at any GM dealership they will sell you a "top engine / cyl cleaner" for use while de-carboning it.....

way cheaper than a catch can.....
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use that top engine cleaner "crap" on a daily basis at the shop,gets 10-20% out, if your lucky, and for the $24 this cost me, its worth never getting sludged up to begin with..
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by streetlethalxb
I use that top engine cleaner "crap" on a daily basis at the shop,gets 10-20% out, if your lucky, and for the $24 this cost me, its worth never getting sludged up to begin with..
ok so my xB has 88,500 miles on it how can I "clean" the engine? And looks like I should get me one of these. Where did you get yours?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey Goth, you can try seafoam, or the older method of putting 1/2 qt #2 deisel in the crankcase, let it run for a little while, don't drive it,don't rev it, just let it idel and then do an oil change. USE THESE METHODS AT YOUR OWN RISK AS I ASSUME NO RESPONSABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU DO TO YOUR OWN CAR.!!!!!

seafoam here.......http://www.seafoamsales.com/
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

what is this "seafoam" stuff?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gothbox
ok so my xB has 88,500 miles on it how can I "clean" the engine? And looks like I should get me one of these. Where did you get yours?
Thats the thing, cleaning that stuff out can be difficult, the can, for the most part, takes it out of the picture. The best thing you can do, is get some top engine cleaner, and you will need a hose from the bottle, to the brake booster vacuum line, idle the engine untill it sucks it all down via the vacuum line, shut it off for 20-30 minutes, then start it back up, it will bellow smoke and misfire, but thats all the crap coming out. Feather the gas to keep it running, until it will idle on its own, when the smoke stops, go rip it around the block, and thats it.. repeat as neccessary, the manifold is one thing, but getting the buildup off your intake valves may require several treatments..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...spagenameZWDVW
ok, so they are $32 and not $24.. oops
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

ive been looking to do this for a while, what all was involved in your instalation?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Gothbox
Thats the thing, cleaning that stuff out can be difficult, the can, for the most part, takes it out of the picture. The best thing you can do, is get some top engine cleaner, and you will need a hose from the bottle, to the brake booster vacuum line, idle the engine untill it sucks it all down via the vacuum line, shut it off for 20-30 minutes, then start it back up, it will bellow smoke and misfire, but thats all the crap coming out. Feather the gas to keep it running, until it will idle on its own, when the smoke stops, go rip it around the block, and thats it.. repeat as neccessary, the manifold is one thing, but getting the buildup off your intake valves may require several treatments..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...spagenameZWDVW
ok, so they are $32 and not $24.. oops
So I can get this top engine cleaner at the local Auto Zone? is there anyway that you can point out what vacuum line you are talking about?

Thank you for all the info.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres a pic of where to hook it up, tomarrow at work I will get one of the hoses we use to attch the bottle of cleaner to the line, and as far as what to buy, let me post that tomarrow too.. I have only used Wynns, and dealer specific stuff.. I will say the dealer stuff is the strongest i've used.. whatever manufacturer. But, i'll post that tomarrow. Also, usually you would dump a can of throttle body cleaner through the TB, at the same time, making sure to completley clean the throttle plate and where it seats to the TB..

Hope this helps Gothbox!!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
ive been looking to do this for a while, what all was involved in your instalation?
It took all of 15 minutes, I removed the engine cover, and I had to use some hose I had lying around to make it reach where I mounted it, I didnt even have to drill any holes to mount the can, there was a small hole on the inner fender I used to send a self tapping screw through.. and i needed a large vacuum line coupling to attach the stock line to the blue line (which i also had lying around).. was easy and is worth it.. I had originally wanted to build my own catch can, but copped out when i got an ebay gift certificate for my birthday, and just bought one..
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey streetlethalxb that blue hose is gonna collapse under regular engine bay temps...especially running that close to the valve cover. you should swap it out for what you used on the other line, which i'm guessing is regular old school "NON" EFI fuel line.

by the way how often would you need to dump it on a NA set up? i have a TC by the way...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="streetlethalxb"]Heres a pic of where to hook it up, tomarrow at work I will get one of the hoses we use to attch the bottle of cleaner to the line, and as far as what to buy, let me post that tomarrow too.. I have only used Wynns, and dealer specific stuff.. I will say the dealer stuff is the strongest i've used.. whatever manufacturer. But, i'll post that tomorrow. Also, usually you would dump a can of throttle body cleaner through the TB, at the same time, making sure to completley clean the throttle plate and where it seats to the TB..

Hope this helps Gothbox!!

Yes this helps alot and sums it up.
Thank you, and I will be looking for the other info as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mugetsu
Hey streetlethalxb that blue hose is gonna collapse under regular engine bay temps...especially running that close to the valve cover. you should swap it out for what you used on the other line, which i'm guessing is regular old school "NON" EFI fuel line.

by the way how often would you need to dump it on a NA set up? i have a TC by the way...
Yeah, i was wondering about that line, but I ran it on the intake side of the head for that reason, it seemed a little more stout than the silicon line I have also running off the valve cover.. I most likely will switch to the fuel line (yes old school, left over from a 75 Stingray project), I also have a few rolls of braiding in the garage, when I do switch, I think I will also braid it all, with the blue hose clamp covers..

Edit: I just noticed yours (looks good BTW) is sideways, so I would check it sooner, seeing as how it has less to go before it drains back into the line, just pop off the low line every now and again and check it for oil drain back..
shouldn't be drained too often, its not like the old school PCV systems that would fill 'em quick.. I'm honestly guessing 60k miles from the install.. we'll see

Quick Reply: Pic: TWE oil catch can