Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pics of project 1NZ-FE engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pics of project 1NZ-FE engine

Not for the squeamish... this is what happens when you have a (VERY VERY) incompetent delivery person trying to unload your project engine from a truck:
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/van/broken_1nzfe
Old 11-01-2003, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ouch. That looks like it hurt. Hopefully the delivery guy has some insurance to pay for that.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how do you possibly manage to cause all that unloading it. was he unloading it at the top of hill, did it roll all the way down? that some intense damage. poor thing
Old 11-01-2003, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i hope the engine looks better than him after you handle this....that is if you havent already :x
Old 11-01-2003, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude Van, I'm so sorry... well you know you have some boys there to help you take care of the engine, but if you just need some brute force for the deliver guy you know there's strength in numbers

either way, so what's the next step now? is it insured or what have the delivery people said will happen?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

man that sucks... looks like you got some sr20 motors in the back =o)
Old 11-02-2003, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That is the ugliest thing i have ever seen. were you there when he droped it off?
i would have killed him.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Van, that really sucked.... I was looking forward to seeing that motor on a stand with a turbo kit on it by Dec or Jan this year.

Is that mean the bolt-on turbo kit project is on hold until further notice....
Old 11-03-2003, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

sorry to hear about that hope everthings work out for u
Old 11-03-2003, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

van, that is definitely sad, however we both know that that engine is totally buildable. that is, if that was what you were planning to do. the internals are fine and you can use the valve cover, thermostat, etc from the other engine, or just have whoever shipped it replace those parts. it's less than $100 in parts.

anyway, even if you're not building the engine up (which would be a shame), it's cool that someone is at least doing something with the 1NZ-FE. everyone keeps making excuses why they haven't finished their engine builds or their turbo kits yet.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the abridged version of the story for you guys: super incompetent delivery dude who had just started working for the company (uh oh) was having the hardest time trying to maneuver the pallet the engine was sitting on on to the lift gate to get it down from the truck. So this thing was a good almost 5' above ground. I stood back and watched as he was rocking the thing, and I was about to go, "um, can you stop doing that?" as everything then happened in slow motion. The engine sorta rocked a little too far over to the side, it tumbled out of the little mini crate it was sitting in on the pallet, rolled off the liftgate, fell to the asphalt with a thud on its head, and then tumbled a little bit more. Put a nice gouge in my street and spilled a little of its lifeblood out too. I just shook my head and was like... alright, you guys are paying for this one! (I was also still feeling bad that the dude almost lost his finger minutes earlier when he got it trapped in the liftgate trying to raise it...but after he dropped my engine I didn't feel too bad anymore.. >HAHA< )

But Eric's right, the important parts (the block and head) are fine. It is a shame that the oil pan is jacked though, cuz that's sort of a large component... parts like the intake manifold and water pump etc. are all pretty extraneous and cheap/easy to replace. The oil pan will be a bit more $$. And oh yah Roger, turbo project is still underway. :)
Old 11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh man that sucks, van. and to see it all happen, too! that's the worst. no way he can blame you for that one, though. i'd get a new engine in that situation. it's not like they are that expensive, right?

i didn't know oil pans were that expensive. but it is an important piece, and if it leaks you are in trouble. how much are they? they're so small on the 1NZ-FE.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes!, turbo project is still on it's way... would be nice Christmas gift for myself...
Old 11-05-2003, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member

Wrong job for that guy! I know what you are talking about when it comes to operating a forklift{or any machine for that matter}. I have seen the worst and also a few who had a special gift for it. Once saw a guy move a fork lift loaded with a milling machine on a pallet through a corner not much bigger than the forklift itself. He had to lift the fork up higher as he went around and then lower just to get past and he did it on the move! Then he loaded the mess into a U-Haul box trailer that was only a tiny bit bigger than the pallet and load. On the other hand there was a stupid guy who used a forklift as a scaffold by putting a pallet on it and then lifting to the max. He was trying to get an item off a rack 30'+ up. He stepped out to the edge of the pallet and it tipped forward. Needless to say he ended up killing himself and injuring another guy on the ground{the rack and the item on it went with him! I will note one thing - was there no strap on the engine to hold it to the pallet or did it brake loose?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

risen: you're right, I've seen some really bad ___ forklift action before, and I've also seen some super bone-headed manuevers. Nothing so bad as to result in a death though! Now that's tragic!!
And unfortunately, the engine was not strapped down! I was a little disappointed at that.. but it was nestled in a mini crate that encased most of the engine, and was affixed to the pallet, so it still did take some doing to knock it over. But yeah, I didn't mention anything about the lack of strapping just in case the delivery company wanted to use that as an excuse to get out of reimbursing me. Looks like I'm going to be keeping this one to tear down for an analysis, and getting another 1NZ soon :)

rampage: you've got the keen eyes, my friend! The engine in the background of some of those pics is an S15 SR20DET motor.