Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

pulstar plug = waste of money

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by masafina
$24.95 each
no way$100 for 4 plugs
mine has ngk$2.50 each and goes point A to point B pretty well jajajajajajaja
Copper Plugs make more power. Iridium plugs make less power but do not foul as quickly as Copper.

Unless you have modded your motor, I say go copper!

Im sticking with my $1,99 coppers and swapping in new ones at least once a year.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

Copper Plugs make more power. Iridium plugs make less power but do not foul as quickly as Copper.
Dude, you are so wrong! Please refrain from spreading false information? If you want to run plain old copper plugs, go for it. Don't tell lies to others. They may believe you DA.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER

Dude, you are so wrong! Please refrain from spreading false information? If you want to run plain old copper plugs, go for it. Don't tell lies to others. They may believe you DA.
QFT
Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you believe that iridium plugs give more power than coppers?

Whatever helps get you through the night.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

So you believe that iridium plugs give more power than coppers?
What was your first clue? I'ts not just me either. Do your homework, copper plugs are old technology.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Before any more posts, someone post data proving that either one provides more HP.
You can't.

Copper will "wear out" faster, and it's not what Scion puts in the car, so why in the hell would you put $1.99 copper plugs in your tC?

Iridiums last 100k miles.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What was your first clue? I'ts not just me either. Do your homework, copper plugs are old technology.
Ive done the homework. Platinum and iridium spark plugs are for longevity only. They were invented for cars that have impossible to reach plugs and lets people feel all bling bling IMO.

Plugs are a bit of a hype thing, they have one task and I havent seen any science to prove why another plug would preform better.

As far as old technology goes, the gasoline engine is old technology, yet we continue to manufacture them. And if new technology is so great, why arnt you running those Pulstar plugs? Its new technology man!!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

... yeah, but they keep getting better.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
Before any more posts, someone post data proving that either one provides more HP.
You can't..
Yes, I would love to see some independent testing that shows either provide more power than the standard copper plug.

Copper will "wear out" faster, and it's not what Scion puts in the car, so why in the hell would you put $1.99 copper plugs in your tC? Iridiums last 100k miles.
That is what Scion puts in the xB. Hence the reason why I am posting this in the Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power section.

You are correct, copper will wear out faster. I replace mine every year, and so far wear has not been a factor. Sure, irids will "last" 100K miles, but many plugs will "last" that long. Hell, mototr oil can "last" 100K miles in a motor, but would you really leave it in there that long? Even if they "last" that long, you still have to pull them out to clean them. If Im going to invest the time to pull plugs, I am going to replace them. A new copper plug is just as good as any iridium plug after 7-10K miles and only 1/3 the price.

Additionally, it does not mean it is best for ignition. Many car manufactures dont recommend changing out the fluid in a manual trans since it is a "lifetime fluid". Same goes with PS fluid. But you know what? Your car will perform better and last longer if you ignore claims of "lifetime" and change them out on a regular basis.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My personal experience:
I have run both NGK copper and NGK platniums in my engine (only mod was to remove the snorkle, which would have no effect on compression). I am not talking about boosted and/or high compression engines, just what Scion gives you from the factory. Plugs were gapped @ .030.

Changed the stock plugs out @ 15K miles w/ the platniums. MPGs went down on the first tank by almost 2. No noticable change in initial startup and/or acceleration. At about 3800 rpm, I noticed a bit of 'hesitation' until I hit 4K. Maybe hesitation is the wrong word here - slight stumble might be more accurate, but the effect was noticable at that rpm range. I kept those bad boys in there for 3K miles, then pulled them to take a look - a lot of soot for such a short mileage interval.

Put my old plugs back in (the ones with 15K miles on 'em) and MPGs went back up to where it was before.

Next oil change I put in brand new NGK v-power coppers and got another 1.1 MPG increase over the stock plugs that had 15K on 'em. Car seemed…"crisper" during acceleration, but that had a lot to do with the fact the previous plugs were used. No hesistation at the 3800-4000 rpm range anymore.

No matter what plug it is, I wouldnt go more than 30K miles on 'em. Iridium, platnium….whatever. I have not personally tried the iridiums in my xB though, and for the price, I have no plans on trying them anytime soon. Even if I choose to run 'em, I wouldnt do so for more then 30K and I wouldnt run them until I say some independent evidence that they offer some kind of benefit other than longevity. Plug removal on the xB is easier than any other car I have owned IMO.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You should try the NGK irridiums gapped at the proper .044. When they are only gapped at .030 they are not allowed to do what they do best. Make a hotter more efficient spark!
That's where the more power and better mpgs come from.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should try the NGK irridiums gapped at the proper .044. When they are only gapped at .030 they are not allowed to do what they do best. Make a hotter more efficient spark!
That's where the more power and better mpgs come from.
That is NOT what Scion recommends as a correct gap. Im sticking with '30' to be consistant between the different plug types Im currently experimenting with.

More power by changing the gap alone? No way. More reliable ignition of fuel? Thats possible, but you have to weight that aganist the possible cost of the engine missing at higher rpms.

I am not looking to drive my box like a sports car, I am looking for maximum reliability and maximum mpgs. I must say I am interested in seeing what happens if I increase my gap, but I need to finish the results of my first testing phase first.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

My bad - wasn't even paying attention too the forum this was in!
Sorry.
My other thoughts stand though
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bad - wasn't even paying attention too the forum this was in!
Sorry.
My other thoughts stand though
No worries man. Debate is good, regardless of who is right or wrong at the end of the day. Knowledge is power. Hype is ignorance.

Im just trying to cut through the marketing to get down to whats real.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Me too.
I have to keep an eye on things better - some of my posts have just been dopey lately.

While these plugs in my tC are good for 100k, I'm going to change at 50k.
Old dog, I am.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iridium, and Injen stickers on your sideskirt - delivers another 15+ HP!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Sorry, I've got Iridium plugs and a baller ciggy lighter - 15WHP!

FTW
Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I am one cheap S.O.B I replaced my plugs with what the owners manual recomends, cost me six bucks, Car runs great and I average 33 mpg with light bolt on mods (I/H/E)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

truth of this spark plug

The day after I saw an advert for this new plug someone posted on the 1.8T forum: Apparently everyone of his coils were blown within a day.

(and no, coils don't blow for no reason, the stress from these plugs caused the failure)
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am happy with the NGK v-powers. Iridium plugs from my understandign will last longer, but performance is on par with OEM.

Am I mistaken?

Quick Reply: pulstar plug = waste of money