Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

SCION EXHAUST DYNO SHOOTOUT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jackmott
Originally Posted by TheRedBox
Originally Posted by SPAWN
how about an exaust cut-out, it is illegal, but i plan on doing it. if it works i garrantee more hp than any other exaust system, it will be cut out right past the headers, before the CAT. NO RESTRICTION AT ALL, FREE flow straight pipe. when i get it i will dyno it and post the results.
For NA Cars not making Gobs of power, Im a firm believer in back pressure. For cars with forced induction you are going to want no restrictions at all. With our motors being as small as they are (and making as much power as they do), I believe an open exhaust like that would do more harm than good, but please post results. :D
dyno and track testing disagrees with you.
they may disagree, but niether mean a damn thing in daily driving, do they?
I agree with RedBox.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, doing a cutout would lose any torque these engines make. You might gain HP but you will lose torque. You will be faster up top but for daily driving it will hurt more since you are down low all the time were torque is needed not hp.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly, I put on an exhaust for a few days. I took it off and sold it for that exact reason.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SPAWN
they may disagree, but niether mean a damn thing in daily driving, do they?
I agree with RedBox.

um, yes they do.

when I want to go fast I floor it and let the rpms rise. When I don't want to go fast im nowhere near 100% throttle so I dont care if I have lose 5% power at low rpms.

moreover, you can look at the dyno graph and see if the power or torque drop off at lower rpms with a more open exauhst.

I challenege you here and now to provide me an example of a modern fuel injected engine that loses significant power anywhere on the dyno chart with an open exauhst.

this whole issue is especially moot on engines with variable cam timing.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my point is that when you pull away from a stop or go around a corner in normal driving, you DO want that 5% of power that even you admit will be lost by putting on an open exhaust. The dyno is just a way to see hp and torque numbers, that don't usually have much to do with NORMAL real world driving. Peak hp is of little to no use in the real world on the street as a daily driver. Racing yes, daily driving, no........it's all about torque in daily driving.

Most people on this website are just normal, everyday people who drive their cars normally, not flooring their cars all the time....we can't drive like that here in California.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionaraxb
my point is that when you pull away from a stop or go around a corner in normal driving, you DO want that 5% of power that even you admit will be lost by putting on an open exhaust. The dyno is just a way to see hp and torque numbers, that don't usually have much to do with NORMAL real world driving. Peak hp is of little to no use in the real world on the street as a daily driver. Racing yes, daily driving, no........it's all about torque in daily driving.

Most people on this website are just normal, everyday people who drive their cars normally, not flooring their cars all the time....we can't drive like that here in California.
No, I admit nothing of the sort! I was merely making the point that even if hypothetically you did lose 5% power at low rpms, since like you just said, you aren't flooring the car anywhere, you can just apply 5% more throttle and tool around as usual. nothing lost.

Dynos show the entire power curve, not just peak numbers.

somebody show me a graph of the 1.5L toyota engine with open exauhst
and lets compare it to a stock one. I could be wrong, id be happy to learn.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jackmott
somebody show me a graph of the 1.5L toyota engine with open exauhst
and lets compare it to a stock one. I could be wrong, id be happy to learn.
I agree, I'd like to see and compare too........I too, could be wrong and would be happy to learn too.
(edit: and some seat of the pants driving too!)
Old 01-28-2004, 10:17 PM

ok , there is a gain on open exhaust ,BUT you lose low end power. Look at those funny cars that have massive power and no exhaust. But they are good for 1/4 mile runs ONLY. Not for the race track, and Import tuner did a dyno of exhaust systems for a 2001 ecilpsce. On those dynos they usedmany exhaust systems and then for fun installed a motorcycle muffler to the down pipe on one run. Freakin peaked like crazy with HP, but they also mentioned after a certain point it lost low end power right away. The same goes with our system, espcially since our trannys are geared so low.

Stylis's 2 cents

P.S.
Could you add the new precisionmuffler.com axel back to the shoot out?
(Another shameless plug for www.precisionmuffler.com ) :D

Old 01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member

which of those systems are cat backs and which are axle backs... i just got the magnaflow cat-back and will be putting it on the dyno here hopefully friday so i just wanted to know so that we could compare some numbers.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

f1 cars and nascar and every other racecar I can think of also has open exauhst.

how about we refrain from repeatinig the same thing and someone actually post some dyno charts from our cars?

Originally Posted by Stylis
ok , there is a gain on open exhaust ,BUT you lose low end power. Look at those funny cars that have massive power and no exhaust. But they are good for 1/4 mile runs ONLY. Not for the race track, and Import tuner did a dyno of exhaust systems for a 2001 ecilpsce. On those dynos they usedmany exhaust systems and then for fun installed a motorcycle muffler to the down pipe on one run. Freakin peaked like crazy with HP, but they also mentioned after a certain point it lost low end power right away. The same goes with our system, espcially since our trannys are geared so low.

Stylis's 2 cents

P.S.
Could you add the new precisionmuffler.com axel back to the shoot out?
(Another shameless plug for www.precisionmuffler.com ) :D
Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 AM

I got one of the stylis manifold back here.

Also aLL STaR gene what are the components of the magna flow cat back?

Old 01-29-2004, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice, are those dyno runs with no other mods besides the exauhst?
where can you buy that?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Also aLL STaR gene what are the components of the magna flow cat back?
the system includes full 2.25 inch piping, a resonator, and a muffler. i will try and get pics of the system, as well as try and get it on the dyno by tomorrow and have that stuff posted here for you guys.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:17 PM

that dyno is for the manifold back system I have and it is available for sale. Not the one I have on my car, you would get a new system. Also I have an axel back for sale at www.precisionmuffler.com PM me for more details.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fess up Stylis... it ain't just the exhaust man!! he also has a mocked up version of the Injen Intake on his xB, but beyond that just riding on heavy ___ 18"? rims too...
Old 01-30-2004, 04:27 AM

not the best intake in the world I would have been better off with a real INjen. Oh, well. Maybe next run! :D

Old 01-30-2004, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

hey guys just got the xB off the dyno and with the magnaflow cat back we got a +5 hp and a +7 ft lbs of torque. i also have a sound clip that i will try and post here monday as well as some pics of the system...