Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Starting issues after new Battery install..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 06:40 PM
SL Member

Default Starting issues after new Battery install..

Just got a new battery put into my xB yesterday and now I'm having issues starting the vehicle.
The fuses all seem fine but the engine won't crank until the battery starts to get low.

Any ideas?

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

_____
​​

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-04-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 PM
SL Member

Did it work before you replaced the battery?

I don't understand the till it gets low part. You fully charged it, it wouldnt crank the car, and then you discharged the battery an amount and then the starter would work?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:26 PM
SL Member

Yes it did work before I replaced the battery but the battery was bad, it desperately needed a replacement.

Basically once the battery starts to die, or becomes very low power the car starts trying to crank.

I was able to get it started but I basically had to keep trying to start it until the battery was essentially dead, then I drove it around and the battery charged up perfectly again.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-04-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:06 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Studious
Yes it did work before I replaced the battery but the battery was bad, it desperately needed a replacement.

Basically once the battery starts to die, or becomes very low power the car starts trying to crank.

I was able to get it started but I basically had to keep trying to start it until the battery was essentially dead, then I drove it around and the battery charged up perfectly again.

____
Interesting... Does it make any noise when you turn the key and it doesn't start. Did you check the starter relay also? Is it happening every time? like lets say you start it and then shut it off will it act up?

How are the cables themselves? there is a ground wire that goes right from the negative terminal to the driver side transmission mount if that is disconnected the starter wont work so check that one too.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:16 AM
SL Member

It makes noise like the starter is trying but it just simply won't crank,
I had the negative cable replaced when I got the new battery put

but not the positive as it's a Toyota specific head on the positive side.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:13 AM
SL Member

It makes noise like the starter is trying but it just simply won't crank,
I had the negative cable replaced when I got the new battery put

but not the positive as it's a Toyota specific head on the positive side.

____
Cool at least something is making noise. Is is like a whirring sound? Like the starter is spinning but isn't engaging with the ring gear. Or like a clicking and no starter movement?

Anyways Im thinking your starter is going out. I have a feeling you're trying to start it repeatedly and it'll just catch randomly and really doesn't have much to do with the battery. It could be either the bendix or brushes in the starter depending on the sound its making.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

AutoZone will test your alternator for no charge.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:20 PM
SL Member

the alternator is fine, after looking into it i'm pretty sure it's the starter at this point.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:22 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrrcom
Cool at least something is making noise. Is is like a whirring sound? Like the starter is spinning but isn't engaging with the ring gear. Or like a clicking and no starter movement?

Anyways Im thinking your starter is going out. I have a feeling you're trying to start it repeatedly and it'll just catch randomly and really doesn't have much to do with the battery. It could be either the bendix or brushes in the starter depending on the sound its making.
The starter sounds normal compared to what it used to sound like before it stopped cranking the engine, do you think that the new battery could have overloaded it somehow? I'm gonna look at all the fuses later today to see if any of those blew with the new battery as well.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:18 PM
SL Member

The starter sounds normal compared to what it used to sound like before it stopped cranking the engine, do you think that the new battery could have overloaded it somehow? I'm gonna look at all the fuses later today to see if any of those blew with the new battery as well.
Yeah check the fuses and relays. Check the battery with a voltmeter, your starter is probably it.