Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Plasticy

Ive also encountered a plastic piston in a brake caliper! Can you believe that!?! I think it was on some nissan. There was a recall on these things because they kept crakin due to extreme heat! Guess the designers didnt kno that there would be initial D freaks on the road heating the brakes to the point of no return. Im down for plastic in certain places of the car like meybe the body and the dash, i mean Saftly vs. repairability right? But on ____ like a caliper piston sheesh.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member

You would be surprised what they can make out of plastic these days...my father makes stuff out of plastic...a plastic guru so to speak.

they have plastic stronger, lighter and more durable than many metals...some plastics are tolerant for high heat, others for stress, others for damage resisitance, or solar resistance.

There is an entire engine made out of plastic that was made in the late 90's by a german company. The pistons, rings and cylinder sleeves and valves were steel, as were the bearings; but the case, the crank, the rods, the manifolds, the heads....ALL PLASTIC...It was only a concept motor and may never hit the production line....but who knows, some day...plastic is cheaper than steel.

this engine weighed about half that of a comparible motor made of steel and produced slightly better HP and torque. Who know how long it would last.

A pulley made of plastic is not fiction, but FACT....the use of plastic for drivetrains will only continue to grow and grow.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default plastic parts

cant remember what car or manufacture it was but did they make a plastic raditatorwas it chevy i dunno any body know

chad
Old 01-04-2004, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Besk one
anyone here ever worked on a motor before?

there is NO WAY the crank pulley is made of plastic!

there is way to much stress and strain and even if you could get stong enough plastic, it would give, and having a crank pulley that had a streching effect would serriously screw up the timing of your motor.

it's not made of plastic, there are no cars that have a plastic crank pulley (maybe a model car, but no street cars, i'm sure)

and do you think that a chunk of steel stamped out would be MORE expensice than a injection molded peice of plastic? of course not!
I would have said exactly the same thing about intake manifolds until I bought my Scion...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Honda / GMC

I had a plastic radiaator on one of my old Honda. Prelude I got about 1978 or 79. You can't acid wash them to get rid of the gunk ... just get a new one. My GMC Jimmy came with one with a plastic sides and a metal core. The side split one day and had to get an gnu all metal one.