Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TURBO KITS: Greddy vs. Turbo-Kits.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default TURBO KITS: Greddy vs. Turbo-Kits.com

Im looking to turbocharge my Xa and ive wondered has anybody used either on these kits with success? Or do you recommend a custom turbo build-up or go supercharged. Let me know what you guys think... But definately has to be forced induction... Natural Aspiration is NOT going to get you mcuh in this car, unless you dump a WHOLE bunch of money...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

are you refering to the turbo speacialties kit on turbo-kits.com? If so i had a turbo speacialties (TSI) kit on my turbo civic. Decent kit, but the fuel system was unreliable. I would suggest going with the greddy kit simply because of E-manage
Old 10-24-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Greddy kit is not gonna be reliable cause it is tuned for the JDM boxes...higher octane gas over there than here. I had the TSI kit on my xB, and as protoytpe stated, Fuel setup is junk but I never even used their setup cause I knew this in advance. I did my own fuel setup and it was still a pain in the a$$ to get the thing to be reilable which took a lot of research and hard work and still only got to 90% reliability. What you can try is doing the same setup as mine, but using the Emanage instead of the Power Enterprise Camcon. Im still not a fan of emange but I hear that it does alright on a lot of other cars. I suggest you do a lot of research before you go and slap on a turbo on these cars...it can be a great big headache that you may or may not be ready for.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

I have the TSI kit for my xb, what's wrong with the Injector control unit. I'm a big fan of two external injectors just before my throttle body.. It's unfortunate tho that they didn't send any instructions for the control unit...with the vacuum control actuator I don't understand the downfall, (keep in mind I haven't installed it yet either..)
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

/\/\ there are so many downfalls to the system. In theory, yes, its ingenious, but in practice it's flawed. The biggest problem is the tuning. You say you haven't installed it yet? Well, when you do, tuning without a wideband AFR system is like trying to ____ in a cup in the dark. I tuned using an Innovate wideband AFR system, and even after tuning to the best of the systems abilitys the Lambda AFR was so spuratic you couldn't run a consecutive AFR. instead of running an 11.1 AFR all day long, you would run anywhere between say 10.5 to 12.9 AFR. Plus the system on some days FOR NO APPARENT REASON loved to reset itself! Nothing like one day undergoing boost and boggling around with at 20+ AFR, and being like, "NOT AGAIN!". Secondly spool up is delayed with this system. Instead of advanced mapping, you're just programing the injectors (in miliseconds) how long you want them to stay open under each boost level.

Also this is what i LOVED (can you feel the sarcasm?). Here in NC the weather during any season changes dramatically in tempurature during night and day. Sometimes up to 20 degrees F. So say you were running just right during the day, but then that night when the tempurature dropped, ur burning LEAN as hell! So also with this kit, expect to be tuning and making changes on the fly everyday.

It does do it's job though:

dynoed 196whp and 170ish wtq on 11lbs on a ball bearing T25 on the civic. 14.1 1/4 on heavy 17s and street tires. But given what other setups there are out there, this one is low end POS in my books:

I would strongly suggest using this, and Innovate Wideband Lambda AFR kit. www.Tunerschoice.com

Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member

Haveing received this kit at no charge I don't feel I'm out anything at this point. I have every intention on gathering as much info as possible prior to installation cause frankly I don't like doing things twice...I appreciate your info on this, now if I understand correctly you got away with using the Lambda piece and the TSI piece together but still wasn't happy with the results? Any Emanage Ultimate experience? My background is several years with 1G DSM's where we had dataloggers to help us keep an eye on things...and enough support out there where you could get yourself out of any jam...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

must be nice to get stuff for free when everyone else has to work their **** off.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

Don't worry, I've already gone down the "work my **** off road" this is just a lucky break that I don't wanna screw up. If anyone has any advice about using a 14b instead of a T25 I'd be glad to hear your opinions....