Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

well i took the xb to get the clutch chatter checked out and

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default well i took the xb to get the clutch chatter checked out and

i took it to my local dealer today and after about 7 hours i get a call and they say that they ordered my new clutch covered under warranty. Not very many details onto what exactly is wrong but can't complain with free.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:32 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet!!!

good deal!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you please find out what was wrong and how it was that they repaired it under warranty? There have been many posts on this site regarding clutch problems and dealers not covering clutch problems under warranty.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd be smart to offer to pay the parts price difference between the stock unit and the TRD performance upgrade- see if they'll go for it, I would...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure that is actually such a great idea. I have seen posts that the only difference between the stock and the TRD unit are the springs.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

trd is still much better than stock.

good luck my dealer wouldn't cover my clutch when it started slipping uncontrollably at about 30k miles. the clutch disc was still good wen removed but the press plate just couldn't hold it tight enough to not slip...
Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I'm not sure that is actually such a great idea. I have seen posts that the only difference between the stock and the TRD unit are the springs."

Not true. Entirely different disk and pressure plate-

http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/d_clutch.html
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 32xxx and still going on the stock clutch w/ no problems
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he already ordered teh clutch so i can't get the trd. Oh well can't complain with free.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How long have you had it and how many miles? Did it chatter always or just occasionaly? Mine seems to be improving but every once in a while it reminds me how awfull chatter can be.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the clutch chatter isn't too bad. It has been quieter lately. The car has about 20k on it and the chatter is a recent thing as in about a month .
Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
"I'm not sure that is actually such a great idea. I have seen posts that the only difference between the stock and the TRD unit are the springs."

Not true. Entirely different disk and pressure plate-

http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/d_clutch.html
not on usdm trd kit. funny it's trd.jp cause bB is auto only in japan.

the usdm kit is stock disc upgraded pressure plate.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh- I get conflicting information as to whether or not the trd clutch kit uses the stock disk or not....

But it doesn't really matter- the real issue is with the pressure plate, anyway- your own experience shows that, hotbox05.

And I can't fathom the stupidity of your particular dealership in not replacing the pressure plate under warranty. Or maybe it's just greed- they'll get paid at a lower rate for warranty work than they charge the customer. I'd have raised Hell clear to Toyota's North American headquarters before I'd have taken the shaft over a defective pressure plate.

Abused clutches don't present themselves to the mechanic as you describe- they're toasted, twisted off, broken hub springs, popped rivets- there's always some evidence they've been pounded.... You can't hurt the pressure plate other than having it wear too thin over the life of several clutch disks, grinding on a worn out disk, or damaged by exploding disk parts. And I know, having done a fair amount of drag racing in some pretty fast machines years ago...
Old 06-27-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tis true about the pressure plate being the problem.

they wouldn't warranty it stating regular wear and tear. and i didn't wanna pay 400+ to get it checked out and then still not be covered. anyways i've got a SPEC stage 2+ in now and it hooks much better than the trd setup does so i'm pretty happy i spose. only about 600 or so installed so i'd call it a good **** deal.

it's not a DEFECTIVE pressure plate just one meant for the echo which weighs more than 200 pounds less , as less aggressive gearing , and they are much less likely to be modded.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the pressure plate won't clamp the clutch properly at a mere 30K miles, it's defective. If it's only a few in a given series or model, it's a QC issue. If it's endemic to a given fleet, then it's a recall issue, and if it's because it was the wrong pressure plate in the first place, then it's faulty engineering. A pressure plate should last a minimum of 100K miles without any issues whatsoever.

Defective is a term that applies on a lot of different levels.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is chatter? ive noticed that if im rolling in netural and i let off th eclutch like a CM or two ill feel just a berily noticeable vibration? is that a symptom of a faling part??
Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
If the pressure plate won't clamp the clutch properly at a mere 30K miles, it's defective. If it's only a few in a given series or model, it's a QC issue. If it's endemic to a given fleet, then it's a recall issue, and if it's because it was the wrong pressure plate in the first place, then it's faulty engineering. A pressure plate should last a minimum of 100K miles without any issues whatsoever.

Defective is a term that applies on a lot of different levels.
well in that case faulty engineering is the culprit
Old 10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm almost at 20k miles and getting a ton of chatter and grabbing gears is getting to be difficult and even more "clunky" I drive 80 miles roundrip to and from work everyday, most of the time in traffic, so I'm assuming I need a new clutch. Will the dealer charge just to check it out/diagnose it?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i notice when i get above like 4 grand or so i can feel the clutch "slipping" like the pedel vibrates than aroudn 3500 it stops and its like normal is that normal for the xA?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by george_da_2nd
i notice when i get above like 4 grand or so i can feel the clutch "slipping" like the pedel vibrates than aroudn 3500 it stops and its like normal is that normal for the xA?
Clutch slip is first noticed under full throttle at high RPMs in top gear. The RPMs will rise with no change in MPH.
When it has happened to me in cars and bikes, it has been a smooth slip with no vibration or chatter, and has meant a worn or weak clutch.
I have also felt clutch chatter, in clutches that are supposedly OK, like my new xB the first few hundred miles, and my Mazda truck sometimes when starting off cold. This is an engagement phenomenon, not a slippage.

Quick Reply: well i took the xb to get the clutch chatter checked out and