Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

what do you guys think about this exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Maicca
Originally Posted by joe52985
i have gabes axleback but i figured id go all the way with it, i went to a muffler shop and had them run 2.25 from the cat back no resonator to the axleback and it sounds awesome, loud...but awesome, it pops, snarls, growls and buzzes, not a civic buzz but oh so sweet. i can def. feel a little more power too and i set off car alarms with ease

you will get a low smooth sound from most any axleback cause you still have your resonator and small mid pipe.

ANYWAY, i would personally stay away from no name mufflers, titanium or not. magnaflow is really nice qualtity and proven performance

Hmmmm...... 2.25" pipe from the cat converter back, replacing the resonator and installing an aftermarket muffler. It's not illegal to take out the resonator? Or is that just the Cat?

I like burbling......popping.......snarling...............sounds like a plan!!!
I have a 2.25 inch custom system from the O2 sensor/cat all the way back. Sounds nice, has a low growl to it, and its actual cost was cheaper than most think for a full custom system. The mid-pipe is actually 2 inch diameter, and from the OEM resonator back, its choked down to 1.75 inch diameter.

Some systems are cheaper and LOUDER, because some shops use 14 inch glasspack mufflers as resonators.

One problem w/ that besides the noise level, that will prolly attract cops at least here in CA, is the interior cabin resonance. You can't hear yourself talk! I have a Magnaflow resonator, and they come in 3 different lengths.

I'm no an expert, and just giving you the 411 on what works for me and what I have seen, heard, and experienced.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, those little round ones will drive you bonkers at freeway speeds. Forget talking, you can't hear yourself think. I would recommend an oval style...
Old 05-07-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

i dont know what everyone is talking about with problems at highway speeds, even with no resonator and a round muffler, i can hear my intake on the highway more than my exhaust. if i jump on it, its pretty loud but otherwise just a low hum cruising 65- 75
around town its damned loud from 2 to 3.5k rpm, but thats how i like it, its all a matter of preference. from driving around it seems the cops really dont care and ive actually gotton some compliments on it from cops around my town
Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, i didn't go the custom route and i went with the JIC Spartan set up. Without the silencer, its pretty loud. Its not your, "average civic exhaust" sound. Its surprisingly deep coming out of a 1.5, and its pretty loud. Cops do look my way occasionally but no problems as far as fix it tickets or anything. Power gains with the JIC are impressive with a axle back, i must say im highly pleased. However, if you want to go custom it all depends on the pipe size. A great size to go is 2.25''.

By the way, exhaust notes:
from a stand still, JIC puts out a very powerful note.
Between 50-60mph exhaust sort of tones down.
Between 60-75mph exhaust comes back; pretty damn loud too. But still not the bumble bee in peas can sound. lol!
80mph + mellows out, but still can hear it.

Of course, this is combined with the rest of my mods. The list is under my posts. Anyway, i'd go for it. However, if you have the money i would recommend JIC. I think they have a unit out for the Xa, but not too sure. I haven't seen much out for the Xa.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know the wieght of the stock exhaust catback?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Xbilly
Anyone know the wieght of the stock exhaust catback?
The stock axleback exhaust is around 12-15lbs I think. This is just an estimate made going by the shipping weight of my aftermarket axleback. Which was about 15lbs.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the shipping wieght of my borla is 41lbs I hope it adds at least enough power to offset the extra weight. should be in tommorow, but I pobably won't have time to intsall it for about 2 weeks
Old 05-11-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xbilly
the shipping wieght of my borla is 41lbs I hope it adds at least enough power to offset the extra weight. should be in tommorow, but I pobably won't have time to intsall it for about 2 weeks
If its the borla axle back, then im sorry but it won't add hardly anything. IMO its one of the worst designed axle backs. Their cat back i dont know too well so i can't judge. This is my opinion though, i know for a fact your not going to be looking at power gains to justify the weight. I used to own a borla until i sold it for JIC. The borla is more novel than anything.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its the catback thats why its so heavy. If I add 20lbs but gain 1 horse it pretty much evens out.
What did you dislike about the borla axleback, killer?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's crap
Old 05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ballinbox
it's crap
Thataway to back up your bold statements with educated comments.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

dude just get it my boy put one on his cavi and its still there and lasting no problems i know thats fake ___ titanium go back to ebay and get stainless but all in all his is still great he just got a full cat set up at a local shop no probs yet like couple years old or so
Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im gettin that same muffler for my box on ebay as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are enough exhaust systems out for this car now... and more coming...

just spend a little more and have no problems down the line...
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

how would a muffler give you problems? all the "systems" are axle backs. yeah I know i def wanna spend out the anus for a muffler with some (no meaning or importance ) brand name on the tip and then say 6-12 inches of pipe? not my fav way to waste money. i'd rather visit a gentlemans club or waste lots and lots of money by buying cd;s. that's just me tho. a muffler is a muffler as long as the welds are good. every one of the 20+ ebay muffler's i've bought , sold , used have been of good quality , yet the 4 mufflers that i've had that came apart were arospeed , thrush(2) , and ansa. hmmmm...... name brand store bought ones fell apart , yet no name/off brand ebay mufflers work perfectly fine . hmmmm maybe just MY personal experience but all of my customers loved theirs and have had no problems. there are always people who are label ****** and will buy whatever no matter the price just cuz it's the "good" brand or the "cool" brand , but I can't afford that and brands dont matter much to me when you can get a similar look and same performance for ALOT cheaper.

sorry for the rant, agree , disagree this is just my opinion