Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What do you think -- 400-500 hp possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love the way people hope and pray that 1 different engine fitting is going to solve all the power problems with this car

let us not forget that the chassis rigidity is good for a 108hp motor
lets try to imagine what the torsional load of 300-400lb/ft of torque is going to do to whatever you end up bolting the motor mounts to.......RRRRIIIIPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

so if this were to ever exist, it would have to be a full tube chassis with a xB body
and at that piont, you can make the drivetrain out of whatever you want FF FR AWD MR

i am still waitng for someone to import the AWD parts
i want a 4wd xB-----oohh, that is a license plate i would have
Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

this chassis can probably take like 250
Old 07-03-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1nz-fe 400-500whp?

i'd say it would be possible to break in the 250-300whp range with some serious $$, but i personally think 400-500whp for our 1.5 is a little extreme. Try it.

Cya
Old 07-04-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just so everyone knows the motor in that tc drag car is the 2.7 or 2.4 liter tacoma motor!!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Ed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
just so everyone knows the motor in that tc drag car is the 2.7 or 2.4 liter tacoma motor!!
and the previous body on that chassis was a Celica...this car belongs to Chris Rado of World Racing.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ding ding ding. correct. chris is a cool dude. i've met him twice.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member

Obviously there are issues (or we wouldn't have this thread), but I'm sure the proper internal upgrades should make it possible. If D series Hondas (notice I didn't even say B or K series) can make 500+hp, our little powerplants should be able to make some crazy numbers too. I just hope that we get more aftermarket support, not ony for us xA/xB owners, but for the poor Echo tuners too.

I also don't see how people figure that the car can only handle such a limited about of torque? Until somebody drops their engine on a launch, I don't think you can make an accurate guess as to what kind of power our little Scions can take. I do wonder how the rest of the drivetrain will hold up as horsepower numbers climb.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

quad throttle bodies anyone? :D

-jon
Old 07-06-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

You people make me sick. Where is the love?

I also bought the scion for good fuel economy, my other car is the race car, but the XA would make a great plat form for the “SFWD class” might give those Hondas a run for their money, hell, you might be able to walk away with a Wally or two! - If you don’t know what that is don’t bother replying.

Just because most of you are more interested in what rims, body kits, and amps to install doesn't mean that kind of power isn't achievable with the 1.5-liter. Yes you'd have to have the motor built, a big turbo, lots of custom work; I think the biggest hurdle would be tuning the _____. I haven’t looked into it, but I don’t think piggy-backs would take you very far. I think you'd need a stand-alone and I'm not sure anyone makes one for the scion.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member

Can not be done on stock motor. The crank is offset to help reduce friction on the pistons. While this is good for gas milage, it is bad if you want alot of horsepower. To much mods will put to much load on the rods and they will break. You would have to swap motors, and if you are going to do that you might as well buy a new car.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by trdecho1
Can not be done on stock motor. The crank is offset to help reduce friction on the pistons. While this is good for gas milage, it is bad if you want alot of horsepower. To much mods will put to much load on the rods and they will break. You would have to swap motors, and if you are going to do that you might as well buy a new car.
Ever hear of forged pinstons/rods? 500hp isn't all that much. Motor work would be a must, but I think it could be done.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by trdecho1
I agree with trdecho1. Try comparing the output of other engines that have an offset crankshaft for economy, are there even others?. Comparing them to other engines isn't really valid, IMO. There's not some hard and fast rules that say you can get "x" amount more out of a stock motor. Each design has its strengths and weaknesses. ELP has done a good job of exposing this engine's weakness. I doubt that forged internals will help get to these kinda numbers anyway, at least not something you could drive without worry...
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I hope someone proves you people wrong, I'd be your man to do it if I wasn't already penny less due to my other money pit.

BTW my other car is a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST making 450hp on the stock block. No one thought you could pull that off without building the motor, but I and others since proved the DSM community wrong. You never know until you try.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stuff i would do to make a 1.5 go really fast.

1.trade in car
2.buy faster car
3.make faster car run low 11's
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member

read el prototypes article on the problems they are having with the engine and the turbo. They say that even with forged pistons and rods they have to run low boost to be reliable.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Who cares if you have 400 or 500 hp if you can't use it? I'm sure the owners of Mk1 VW GTIs weren't complaining about having only 112hp, and I bet Peugeot 205 GTi owners weren't complaining about having only 115hp. The xB weighs what, 2500 lbs? And it handles pretty well straight from the factory. You don't need ridiculous amounts of power to have fun. Sure, you can build some 500hp, tube framed, fiberglass bodied, drag queen, and maybe you'll have some money left over to buy a car you can actually drive, while your 500hp xB sits in a trailer.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything is possible.

1. BIG TURBO!!!
2. BIGGER TURBO!!!!
3. REBUILD!!

With that much power I bet you get 1000 miles on the engine tops.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

500? I'm not even at 500 and my blower has more displacement than the xA/xB motor. You'r looking big $ besides if you even got 200 to 250 hp in a xA/xB you'd have a quick friggin car. You could break 400 pretty easy with a 350hp shot of NOS, you'd break it for about 1/4 second before it came apart but you could say you did it. Some people think Imports are the Mighty Mouses of the world, because some guy on the Fast and Frizolous goes really fast in a movie car with a turbo anyone can. They can, to a point, you'd spend 5 times the amount you did on the xA or xB to get it over 400, and it wouldn't even be one anymore. Check out the $25k xA and see what they are putting down, you'd get an idea of how much power is possible. It'll take more than a CamCon and ebay turbo.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don't foget the OP's other guidelines... Street legal and NO NOS...

My question is WHY do you need 4-500 hp? Are you in a bragging contest with someone? I've never understood this need to put down numbers that don't really directly relate to reality. Who cares what the dyno says, how often does someone roll up on you, flash their dyno sheets and you just bow your head in homage? I've never seen it. Most people would say "So what, let's run 'em"...

I could understand it more if people wanted a "12-second car" for example or xxx top speed. There's a goal to achieve, but HP numbers are just one part of the formula.

It's like when people say "I'm getting 20's, which ones do you guys think I should get?" They aren't as interested in the look but the bragging numbers or cuz they heard about "rollin on dubs" in a rap song. (NewsFlash: They're rolling on 24's now, BTW. Good luck getting that on your Scion...)
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRDECHO1

thank you for re-inforcing my beliefs
Toyota DESIGNS engines for specific purposes
most are fuel efficient, some make power

you cannot change inherent design
crank angle and valve angle/position just don't jive for power on FE engines

If you have a CNC machine and feel like making a Billet Block
then you can decide where the crank sits
while you are at it, make a Billet head so you can choose the valve angle and spark plug position
that would probably hold up, then you gotta find a tranny/axles that'll hold

one more thing
STOP MENTIONING HONDA MOTORS
it is a well established fact that Honda over-builds most of their engines
that is why a stock block civic(D16) can run 11's with a turbo kit and slicks
and the fact that we have had almost 20 years with the Honda engines and develping parts/tuning for them

when is the last time you saw an echo at the drag strip???
or the autocross???
well??

Quick Reply: What do you think -- 400-500 hp possible ?