Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What does an oil catch can do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scott17 Posted: 5/11/06 9:47AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Injen and K&N DID goof! Very poor design. I don't think an oil catch can is really good for anything. They are made for racecars to keep the track clean. But of course if racecars use them, then by the communitive property, our Xbs will benifit immensely from their install! By all means!
You're right, but when I open my hood and look at it I feel all warm and cozy inside...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as not to really flame you mensa folks on here, I still stand by my explanation of what an oil catch can does, since that is what was asked.

if injen and K&N goofed, oh well many people have no problems that exist, if a problem isn't there , why fix it or do anything about it ( scott17's logic)

and dghotlava, your logic is flawed, being incorrect some of the time does not make it true all the time. if it does since you have been wrong once, it makes you wrong all the time?
by your logic, you are incorrect.(wrong)
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"commutative property" :D
Old 05-12-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here's my simplified logic; I have replaced more than a few MAF sensors just among my friends in the DFW area and what do you think the common denominator was? If you think putting the input pipe for the crankcase vent upstream of the MAF sensor is good engineering, then we will have to agree to disagree. I am a mechanic by trade, and like a surgeon, my motto is "do no harm". Mods are great and fun and all, but if you aren't improving anything, and are actually reducing performance, drivability or longevity, what's the point? Some mods don't do much, but also don't do any harm, so I say if you can afford a useless mod and are happy with it then by all means! But modding for the sake of modding, when something has to be compromised is not how I do things. This is merely my opinion, but it has served me well so far...................
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Tomas
"commutative property" :D
touche'
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by frogbox
and dghotlava, your logic is flawed, being incorrect some of the time does not make it true all the time. if it does since you have been wrong once, it makes you wrong all the time?
by your logic, you are incorrect.(wrong)
you say i have been wrong, i don't see it.

and if you are gonna change my words, then your entire first statement is incorrect because one part of it had flawed logic. (wrong once, wrong all the time...right??? not!)

thats like saying, the speed limit on the road by my house is 35, but it is wrong because on the highway it is 65.

the statement of 'it will protect the MAF from getting fouled' means that everyone would benefit from it.
i still say it is incorrect. (and examples of the incorrectness has been given)
for most people, the MAF will not get any protection because the threat is past the MAF...and this is why i said part a is incorrect. (i know it will not help protect my setup)
Old 06-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Banned
SL Member

I am waiting on this oil catch can made custom for th xB-

http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCmisc...r_vehicle.html
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does one of these affect the warrantee?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

Nah.

A lot of people here say it doesn't even affect the engine

I am still waiting on this thing.

I honestly don't think the new Scion weapon R oil catch cans are even in North America anywhere yet!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The main reason for the fumes to be diverted back into the intake, is to be burned again in order to get better gas mileage, plus a little bit about emissions. I just went out and purchased a small k&n filter for the pcv valve, and a cap for the intake tube. The k&n needs to be cleaned quite a bit depending on where you purchase gas, due to all the contaminates that aren't burned the first time around.

Anyway, to answer your question, yeah you can do it, but I would check emissions shops or local repair shops in the area to see if it will affect your emissions, if you do in fact have to get them done.

I will tell you this, you should notice a better idle from doing this, because you aren't burning off all the ____ that was recycled in the first place. Try it out, screw what everyone thinks. lol
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks

Quick tech question on this - would you ideally want the hose connectors on the catch tank to be the same diameter as on the engine?

Looking at some of the DIY approaches, you can use an air compressor filter (which sounds good to me in theory since it has a filter). These look like they use 1/4" connectors though.

What I'm concerned about though is; would be using smaller diameter connectors and a restrictive filter alter the pressure? I wouldn't want to increase the crankcase pressure by overly restricting the PCV system. Or is it so low pressure anyway that it's not an issue?

Thanks!

:edit: oops, I found this thread through the search. I'd be installing this on a tC not that I imagine it makes much difference.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What does an oil catch can do?

Originally Posted by itsme
does anyone have any info on what a(n) oil catch can does......anyone?
"Scion engines are prone to the accumulation of an oil sludge mixture inside the intake tract. Oil vapor is forced out of the cylinder head and directed through vacuum hose into the intake system to meet clean air regulations. The added oil within the intake system can lower the octane rating of your fuel and create a carbon, oil sludge build-up in your intake system. Oil vapor condenses onto all surfaces within your intercooler and intake system lowering the thermal efficiency of your intercooler... (An) oil catch can will remove and hold this oily by product prior to the intake air stream. Eliminating the engines current requirement to try and reburn this relatively non-combustible oil will increase horsepower and performance."
http://www.precisionmuffler.com/id69_oil_catch_can.htm

Or, you can simply vent the oil vapor to atmosphere. But it is drippy, so you want to get it away from the engine, like with a long hose extended down below the engine.