Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

I own a 2006 xB w/ automatic and I would like to add the most possible horsepower to it however I read or heard from someone that CAI would make the accelaration of an automatic xB even slower. Is this true? If it is then what's the best and inexpensive mod (bold-on) I could do to my automatic xB that would provide the most hp? Combination of intake & exhaust? What should I get?

Thanks guys,
Dan
Old 12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most possible horsepower= turbo charged
Old 12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

Originally Posted by dbnacpil
I own a 2006 xB w/ automatic and I would like to add the most possible horsepower to it however I read or heard from someone that CAI would make the accelaration of an automatic xB even slower. Is this true? If it is then what's the best and inexpensive mod (bold-on) I could do to my automatic xB that would provide the most hp? Combination of intake & exhaust? What should I get?

Thanks guys,
Dan
1. CAI does not make the xb slower, regardless of tranny. Who ever told you that knows just as much as you do, no offense.
2. Inexpensive as in, what..
3. Best thing you can do to any car as far as the motor goes is i/h/e. My set up is DC sport header, aem cai and jic exhaust. Then go from there.

If you need any additional help IM me on aim/aol or PM me and ask away, or you can do it here whichever.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i have an auto.got an an axle back 5 zigen exhaust and no real difference.did notice a pretty nice difference with my injen short ram intake.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got an 05 auto and most bang for the buck i think is injen short ram intake
Old 12-29-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whp gains per dollar would be a header when you talk about inexpensive mods. But, no matter what when it comes to intake or header or exhaust, you won't get the full effect without all three.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you could..how much would a set up like that cost (I/H/E)

and what type of gains are people seeing with that set up done correctly? hp, acceleration, etc..?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hammy
If you could..how much would a set up like that cost (I/H/E)

and what type of gains are people seeing with that set up done correctly? hp, acceleration, etc..?
It depends on a great deal of things, 4-1 or 4-2-1 header, axle, cat, or full exhaust, which intake. sri or cai.

Heres my set up and est. cost:
1.Dc header ($220)
2. AEM cai ($190)
3. Jic Spartan DE type 1 exhaust ($335)

Gains will be between 10-12whp with this set up. Mostly mid to top end whp, no low end whp gains with 4-1 header.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

roughly 10 whp. for anywhere from 800- 1500
Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What you have to understand is that a motor is nothing more than an air pump. The more you can get in, the more you can get out. You can't only work on the intake side and expect real results. The same goes for the exhaust side. You will not see any significant gain until you do all three (intake, header and exhaust).

Do you plan on lowering your car dramatically? (More than 2") If so, my recommendations change for the exhaust.

But here is my recommendation for best bang for the buck.

Intake:

High Quality: Fujita F5 SRI ($180 +/-)
Money Saver: YDR ($85) (Injen Copy)

Header:

Stainless: Strup ($250)
Ceramic: DC ($220)

Exhaust:

Bolt-On: Strup ($250)
Bolt-On for dropped boxes: Tanabe ($300+)
Muffler Shop Custom ($200-)

If these mods don't get you enough, my next mod would be to get a lightened crank pulley. There are a couple different options out there, but plan on spending upwards of $130-$140.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

without going FI... youre pretty much looking at I/H/E
then pulleys and/or torque dampner
Old 12-31-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a ground stabilizer the one that hooks up to the battery, idled and shifted smoother and headlights got brigter! Supposed to get HP and mileage gain but i doubt it
Old 12-31-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by RTon20s
What you have to understand is that a motor is nothing more than an air pump. The more you can get in, the more you can get out. You can't only work on the intake side and expect real results. The same goes for the exhaust side. You will not see any significant gain until you do all three (intake, header and exhaust).

Do you plan on lowering your car dramatically? (More than 2") If so, my recommendations change for the exhaust.

But here is my recommendation for best bang for the buck.

Intake:

High Quality: Fujita F5 SRI ($180 +/-)
Money Saver: YDR ($85) (Injen Copy)

Header:

Stainless: Strup ($250)
Ceramic: DC ($220)

Exhaust:

Bolt-On: Strup ($250)
Bolt-On for dropped boxes: Tanabe ($300+)
Muffler Shop Custom ($200-)

If these mods don't get you enough, my next mod would be to get a lightened crank pulley. There are a couple different options out there, but plan on spending upwards of $130-$140.

those prices suck. that's why i buy other brands to get the same result
Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The prices may "suck," but some people prefer to pay for quality. There are lots of other routes to take, but that doesn't mean that I would be comfortable recommending them.

The few extra bucks for the confidence in the quality and durability of a part is well worth it when considered over the lifespan of the car. Then again, some people are willing to take risks with every part they buy just to boast about the price they got a second rate part for off of ebay.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys,
Dan
Trade it in on a manual transmission model and you'll shave almost 1.5 seconds off your 0-60 (Edmunds.com)

Nothing else you do short of forced induction will give you enough performance for you to even equal a stock 5 speed. Auto was the wrong choice if you care about acceleration, sorry.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Biznox

Thanks guys,
Dan
Trade it in on a manual transmission model and you'll shave almost 1.5 seconds off your 0-60 (Edmunds.com)

Nothing else you do short of forced induction will give you enough performance for you to even equal a stock 5 speed. Auto was the wrong choice if you care about acceleration, sorry.
Theres been a few autos pushing 120-130whp daily with f/i set ups, a little built motor and some tranny work like ATF cooler, i think one had a shift kit and then a few other things. I've beat auto and manual xa's and a manual xb and i don't have f/i.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for people like me who dont know much, what does a crank pulley do and how will a lightened one give u more power?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Peter_Rabbit
for people like me who dont know much, what does a crank pulley do and how will a lightened one give u more power?
Doesn't really give you any more power. It just helps you accl faster. Its a pretty noticeable difference and to sum it up in simplest words, it gets you through your powerband faster.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ok i got an 05 auto and the cheapest thing you can do and all it cost is about 5 minutes of your time is go out to your car and pop the hood and on the air intake tube that runs from nothing to the box just undo the conecter and the one bolt holding it inplace an take it so air goes straith in to the air filter box then to the engine mabe two horse power
also i would recomend gettin an exhaust i got a magnaflow muffler ($80) and had my mecahnic run 4 in piping axle back and that made a differece
hope this helps
Old 01-04-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by morningman
ok i got an 05 auto and the cheapest thing you can do and all it cost is about 5 minutes of your time is go out to your car and pop the hood and on the air intake tube that runs from nothing to the box just undo the conecter and the one bolt holding it inplace an take it so air goes straith in to the air filter box then to the engine mabe two horse power
also i would recomend gettin an exhaust i got a magnaflow muffler ($80) and had my mecahnic run 4 in piping axle back and that made a differece
hope this helps
4'' piping??? Why? Thats ridiculous, it may have sounded like it made a difference but you lost so much tq doing that. I'm surprised it even runs smoothly, 4'' is way too big for f/i set ups let alone a virtually stock 1nz.

Quick Reply: What's the best mod for xB Automatics?