Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's the best mod for xB Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by RTon20s
The prices may "suck," but some people prefer to pay for quality. There are lots of other routes to take, but that doesn't mean that I would be comfortable recommending them.

The few extra bucks for the confidence in the quality and durability of a part is well worth it when considered over the lifespan of the car. Then again, some people are willing to take risks with every part they buy just to boast about the price they got a second rate part for off of ebay.
money does not buy quality. money buys a brand. people think brands are better. and as far as automotive products. tis not the case.

an aem intake(aftermarket one , no from scion), or fujita. about 200 either is awesome.

as far as header. if you have money get teh mmw it is THE best.
if you don't have that much get teh megan racing same quality , fit , finish , design as every header except the 4-2-1 mmw. it costs about 130 shipped

exhaust. why get an axle back? it's more expensive gives you less options , less performance gain.

custom cat back for less than 300.

axle backs are a total waste of money.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
The prices may "suck," but some people prefer to pay for quality. There are lots of other routes to take, but that doesn't mean that I would be comfortable recommending them.

The few extra bucks for the confidence in the quality and durability of a part is well worth it when considered over the lifespan of the car. Then again, some people are willing to take risks with every part they buy just to boast about the price they got a second rate part for off of ebay.
money does not buy quality. money buys a brand. people think brands are better. and as far as automotive products. tis not the case.

an aem intake(aftermarket one , no from scion), or fujita. about 200 either is awesome.

if you don't have that much get teh megan racing same quality , fit , finish , design as every header except the 4-2-1 mmw. it costs about 130 shipped

Actually darren, part of what you said is true and part of it is false. For instance, in some products you do get what you pay for. Usually header's, intakes, strut bars are virtually the same thing. So you are right, usually you are paying for the brand. But, if you have general knowledge you can tell what is good quality and what isn't..Usually by the bends of say a header. As for exhausts, axle backs do typically give off little whp. However, my experience with Jic was surprising even with me. Its an axle back, but didn't hurt my gains at all. Sure, with the right cat back gains are going to be more, but it is possible to pull some pretty decent gains with an axle back given the right piping size and so on. Some may argue though, why go cat back when you can go full.

The money thing though is a completely different issue. It depends on the part you are looking for. For instance, take f/i set ups. 80% of the time, you are buying quality. I would never buy a complete turbo kit for $600, thats way too cheap and the materials used are 99% of time going to be less than of the more expensive. This plays extremely true with body kits, lip kits, or any body bod. People always complain as to why kits are so expensive. Its because when kits are mass produced, some companies use the same mold over and over for the kit, each time they do it the quality will suffer. This partial in reason why companies like Veilside charge so much, because they only use their molding for kits around 5-10 times before starting with a new mold. This is also why you will have delays when ordering from them because they have to make a new mold and catch up on orders.

So, it really depends on the product you are talking about when you say money doesn't equal quality. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

exhaust. why get an axle back? it's more expensive gives you less options , less performance gain.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Originally Posted by morningman
ok i got an 05 auto and the cheapest thing you can do and all it cost is about 5 minutes of your time is go out to your car and pop the hood and on the air intake tube that runs from nothing to the box just undo the conecter and the one bolt holding it inplace an take it so air goes straith in to the air filter box then to the engine mabe two horse power
also i would recomend gettin an exhaust i got a magnaflow muffler ($80) and had my mecahnic run 4 in piping axle back and that made a differece
hope this helps
4'' piping??? Why? Thats ridiculous, it may have sounded like it made a difference but you lost so much tq doing that. I'm surprised it even runs smoothly, 4'' is way too big for f/i set ups let alone a virtually stock 1nz.
yeah i tend to exagerate sometimes it was proably 3 in but it just looked massive compared to the stock piping idont no
o well
Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
ok i got an 05 auto and the cheapest thing you can do and all it cost is about 5 minutes of your time is go out to your car and pop the hood and on the air intake tube that runs from nothing to the box just undo the conecter and the one bolt holding it inplace an take it so air goes straith in to the air filter box then to the engine mabe two horse power
also i would recomend gettin an exhaust i got a magnaflow muffler ($80) and had my mecahnic run 4 in piping axle back and that made a differece
hope this helps
4'' piping??? Why? Thats ridiculous, it may have sounded like it made a difference but you lost so much tq doing that. I'm surprised it even runs smoothly, 4'' is way too big for f/i set ups let alone a virtually stock 1nz.
yeah i tend to exagerate sometimes it was proably 3 in but it just looked massive compared to the stock piping idont no
o well
lol, well 3'' is still way too large. 2.25'' is perfect for n/a, f/i people run 2.5'' piping. If you have a massive set up, then 3'' could work but never logical or practical on a 1nz.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well i have a turbo chip and a ram air intake and im getting heades in a month and turbo this summer so i figured why spend the money twice and just do it all at one time
Old 01-04-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buy a bounch of stickers
j/k
Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

well for me the best thing for my auto, was geting the injen short ram intake, with my dc sports axleback exhaust, it is the best combo for me, and im going to get my megan headers in alittle while
Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For i/h/e i run aem cai, dc sport header and jic exhaust.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There may be no perceived difference in quality, but I can tell you by experience that there is an actual difference in quality. I am not saying any particular product is good or bad. But I have my reasons for making the suggestions I did.

The one product I will comment on is the MMW header. That is one product I have become very skeptical of. Mostly from personal accounts I have seen about the headers quality. And from what I understand there is a still a question out there about who actually makes the header for them. If it is the company I think it is, they couldn't pay me to run it.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im ordering the strup axelback soon and was wondering, later on when i get a header(dc or strup) will the exhaust get considerably louder? right now i have the injen s/r and dont want the exhaust too loud.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yes it is made by weapon r.

i've been running different parts brands for the same parts side by side for years. the only difff in the VAST majority of the parts is the price and lack of the so-called better brand name on the part.

trust me I hate weapon-r but that header is THE best header in the scion market.

what about the headers quality? u mean people say it's crap cuz it isnt polished? I dunno everyone on here seems to love it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't say weapon r is the best header for us, but its probably the best cheaper one. Personally, dc sport has been good to me.

As for the MMW remarks above, i wouldn't trust that header either. While it is a 4-2-1, something about it just doesn't look right. I believe the company that makes it makes poor headers, i could be wrong but it could be that company you are thinking of. I forget who makes it, i knew at one point. *shrug*
Old 01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

mmw is made by weapon r tony. it's the same header.

what's better then tony?

it's the only well designed 4-2-1 header. and dc headers ehhh lots of price....
Old 01-04-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmw is made by weapon r tony. it's the same header.

what's better then tony?

it's the only well designed 4-2-1 header. and dc headers ehhh lots of price....
No header really stands out that much in the crowd thats on the market right now in my opinion. I know i wouldn't buy anything megan has to offer though.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hm hm hm ...... the megan has the same power , better finish and much cheaper price than your dc. and earlier this month you had spoke of wanting the 4-2-1 from mmw.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm hm hm ...... the megan has the same power , better finish and much cheaper price than your dc. and earlier this month you had spoke of wanting the 4-2-1 from mmw.
Yeah, i did want it till i started checking out who made it.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

who cares if it's a good product it's a good product./ I wou8ldnt buy much from their product line but i'd buy the header.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes it is made by weapon r.

i've been running different parts brands for the same parts side by side for years. the only difff in the VAST majority of the parts is the price and lack of the so-called better brand name on the part.

trust me I hate weapon-r but that header is THE best header in the scion market.

what about the headers quality? u mean people say it's crap cuz it isnt polished? I dunno everyone on here seems to love it.
I was speaking both about the MMW header and aftermarket parts in general. For the most part it comes down to quality control, regardless what the part is. 9 times out of 10, you aren't just paying for a name, you are paying for quality control.

I prefer to buy from companies I know I am not going to have to try and get an exchange or my money back from. And that comes back to quality control. Everything from materials, to manufacturing, to packaging, to shipping. It all plays a part in what ultimately gets put on our car. If you really need me to expand on it further, I can.

On a side note, I know that Weapon R is the "parent company" of MMW. We all know they are one in the same. But there are rumors flying about (which I will not propagate) that another company manufactures the headers for them. A company known for even lower quality products.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just buy whatever brand you want based on how much you want to spend, everything else is just he said she said opinions - why people get dragged into those debates every single time is funny to me (but to each his own of course)

ive got strup header & exhaust, and injen short ram intake...i LOVE IT, and yes i notice a difference....only after the header was put on though...the box just feels like i dont need to push it as much to get going, and cruises smoother (if that describes it right)

it is LOUD though, not deftening loud, but with i + e + h together its got a deep growl, it sounds like a high hp machine....but its not lol
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default How loud is your car over stock with I/H/E ?

i am getting ready to buy the MMW headers and injen sri but as trying to figure out which exhaust to run with? for less noise that is. i dont care about the noise. i want a little performance without haveing to turn my radio up to hear it over my exhaust if possible? can anyone help me on this one?

Quick Reply: What's the best mod for xB Automatics?