Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Who's interestd in a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who's interestd in a turbo?

I'm just testing the waters here. Need some questions answered from a lot of guys. Top posters, first time posters, your friends who live down the block I need your opinions. Please EVERYONE give me a answer/suggestion. I'm going to build a turbo kit for A box, and if everyone puts in enough input I want to remake the kit to share with you.

Would you be interested in buying a turbo kit? SERIOUSLY would you be interested.. knowing its going to be a HUGE purchase for the box? I know most people bought the box to save money.. Well i did...

How much would you pay for the kit. The research i've done from 2 companies that are going to release the kit is going to MSRP @ 3000 how much would you honestly pay?

How much of a power increase would it have to make in order for it to grab your attention... Remember our boxes dyno @ low 90s WHP stock. With the Supercharger kits they are saying 120-130 and no one know if thats WHP or fly wheel. How much power do you want it to make. Stages may be available..

Would you like a top mount intercooler or front mount where stock grill is located?

ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU HAVE WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

If I dont get enough replies on this thing, or the requests are just impossible to do, then the project gets shoved in the closest, and I just go nitrous. Just trying to help you guys out...

Old 01-27-2004, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would love to see a front mount cool...
now, when i comes to power...all i've been hearin is that the top turbo companys are blowin engines left and right...i dont know what would cause that...(just cause i dont know turbos)...but i would love to see...at least 130...to da wheels...with a nice loud blow off...hehehehehe...just cause i love that sound...
price? wow...seriouly...i would not mind paying...ummm....3500...to...4000....but with installation...does that sound like too much? or too little...

hows that?
Old 01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I would buy one right now. Hopefully under $2500 and 130 to the wheels would be real nice. Something that is capable of 180 crank hp in the future. I think a top mount intercooler is all that it needs cuz then your looking at a lot more work for a FMI unless your just gunna stick it behind the stock bumper but that kinda sux cuz way less air and a top mount would do the job upto 200hp just fine.

Is this why you showed that "guess what turbo this is" thread?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stage 1: Low boost application with sfc
Stage 2: Intercooler upgrade (top mount since it would be easier and cost efficient due to less piping) w/ fuel management comp upgrade/piggyback

Good luck though since the ECU is boost unfriendly from what I hear.

Oh and I agree with Joe on the price and the power output.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:11 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have an xA, so the layout may be a little different, but here's my opinion anyway...

Simply put, I am just waiting until one is done, tested, and ready to be put on the car. As soon as that is done, and I know how much it costs, i'd be getting one. I would expect to pay around $3000. But that better include EVERYTHING that is needed. Obviously, our cars are not that powerful to begin with, and adding a kit like this, isn't going to win us any drag races. They aren't going to be all that big, and shouldn't cost the same amount as if you are buying one for a Subaru or Nissan or something. Installation would be nice to be included, but it's tougher for people who aren't located in California, plus, I rather do it myself if I could.

I personally, would much rather have a FMIC, just because it goes really well with my other plans. As for figures, I think about 120-130 to the wheels would be nice. I don't want anything crazy, and start busting axels or anything. But something that give a noticible difference in power, and makes people say, wow, look at that.

I think having stages would be cool too. You know, have an entry level kit, that put's out decent numbers, and is a good buy for people. Then maybe have another kit that puts out higher figures, but would require a little more modification. I'm not sure what the demand would be for a higher output like that. In my current situation, I don't think I would go for the 2nd stage kit, or anything else higher.

Hope that helps a little. Just a different perspective from an xA owner.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well since a top mounted cooler would be less expensive...yea why not...

Originally Posted by Scionic

Good luck though since the ECU is boost unfriendly from what I hear.
is that why the engines are going...??
Old 01-27-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
I think a top mount intercooler is all that it needs cuz then your looking at a lot more work for a FMI unless your just gunna stick it behind the stock bumper but that kinda sux cuz way less air and a top mount ?
That's why i said behind the grill or replacing the front grill all together.

Ecu's are a _____ because they "learn" so by adjusting the SAFC, the ecu will "learn" and adjust setting accordingly. that equals car go boom.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I know man but the split grille is what's the problem unless people decide to spend money on both a turbo kit and an aftermarket bumper cuz that would look messed up if you cut out the bumper section in between the grilles and have some gigantic square with a tiny ___ FMI sitting inside.

Are you gunna attempt this after el toro?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Possibly... Still waiting on a couple things for my final decision.. It's a lot of money to spend!!!

I talking about the front grill.. I'd remove the grill completely and put the FMIC in front of the one piece in the middle. the endtanks would have the outlets in the rear hear the headlights. some trimming maybe involved. remember everything is just up in the air and im taking ideas down..
Old 01-27-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW thanks DOC!!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guess no one cares then huh...
Old 01-29-2004, 05:31 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I care.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that why the engines are going...??
More then likely to much boost is making the engines go.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd love a turbo setup. Engine management is more important to me however. Performance is all based on the tuning. You can have a bone stock motor H22 power a civic to the 10's with the right tune or blow up with 6psi.

No FMU's of AFC's.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the biggest thing hold me back is the fuel tuning. putta a kit together is EASY, but tuning it is going to suck. Some people say the AFC is going to work, some people say its not. I honestly think its not going to matter now, after speaking with RC engineering. the injector size we are running should be enough to handle the small amount of boost im shooting for. 5-6 psi. Im just trying to figure out how I can get high flow fuel pump when no one is making on application specific. Im thinking inline pump...
Old 01-29-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I guarantee there are a ton of people dying to buy one...however, there are also a ton of people who are just tired of talking about it...I am one of them...I am tired of speculating, and calculating....I want someone else to do all of that for me...make the kit, and sell it to me...I dont care about the price....I want reliable, quality horsepower, and i dont want to think about it too much.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that takes out all the fun.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is interest. there just need to be a quality kit available.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its all going to be a custom kit... i already have the fuel controll figured out..

BWAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted:
Old 01-29-2004, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member

I am down to pay whatever for a turbo when I can afford it. Right now I don't have even
1k to blow. I would expect a decent increase in HP/TQ and for a decent price if I could
afford to purchase one. I don't know much about turbo but if everything looked good I would purchase it from you. I think I would rather see a s/c though.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Who's interestd in a turbo?