Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Who's interestd in a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by DjFrOsT
i would love to see a front mount cool...
now, when i comes to power...all i've been hearin is that the top turbo companys are blowin engines left and right...i dont know what would cause that...(just cause i dont know turbos)...but i would love to see...at least 130...to da wheels...with a nice loud blow off...hehehehehe...just cause i love that sound...
price? wow...seriouly...i would not mind paying...ummm....3500...to...4000....but with installation...does that sound like too much? or too little...

hows that?
what he said
Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoCalbBox

No FMU's of AFC's.
Why not? if we're only looking @ low psi? FMU would be fine. Above 6 psi, i'd go injectors + AFC..

Standalones are way too much money to spend on a econobox that isn't going to make gobs of power IMO
Old 01-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

how bout aiming for 6-8psi? injector's, afc, etc... is fine by me
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want to start low to be safe.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member

Just my two cents,

Its a scion, its gotta be priced scion $2500.00 max for the basic kit. a realistic 130 hp. and C.A.R.B. approved at least . But for me its gotta be a toyota /TRD part as I can break anything on any car so I need a warranty. But hell im thinkin of blowing serious $ on some 12 lb 17' wheels. for SCCA comp.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WILL be buying a turbo kit and I will buy based on the following:

1. The cheapest turbo or even surpercharger kit I can find. (I want under 2g)
2. The simplest and least problematic to install and maintain.
3. I don't care if it also has a lower HP/TQ boost compared to other turbo's. With the weight to power ratio of the xB, all I need is around a 20-30hp boost.
4. Doesn't affect Gas Mileage.
5. Price is king. Make the simplest / most generic turbo you can make so you can sell it at a rock bottom price and everyone will buy yours.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:40 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by wonderworm

You're gonna be out of luck on that one. Any turbo setup will effect your gas mileage. I'm not sure how much you should expect to lost, but expect to lose some.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

3. I don't care if it also has a lower HP/TQ boost compared to other turbo's. With the weight to power ratio of the xB, all I need is around a 20-30hp boost.
I agree 100% with these statements, if its possible to get easy and cheap in 1 package. I don't mind a 25-35 hp boost if thats what it takes to keep my engine from doing the high jump through the hood. But most of all I want to see QUALITY-QUALITY-QUALITY Hypothetically you're gonna have to be able to compete with TRD warranties because Most people and myself included are willing to wait and spend the extra 500-1000 bucks if Toyota is backing the parts and it keeps the vehicles original warranty intact as well.
I don't think it really matters where the intercooler is, or what forms of hardware it utilizes as long as I can whole heartedly feel safe knowing at all times that it's on my car and I have nothing to worry about with pre-mature engine wear, or a mangled bottom or top end or driveability issues. Anyway I appreciate you taking all these posts into consideration, good luck.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can do a high quality kit no prob.

just remember high quality = high priced. I can get away with the some of the best products that are needed and keep the cost low. but if you want the best of the best stuff expect to pay for it.

And it doesnt matter if its supercharger, No2, turbo, or even an intake. It's only going to be as good as the installer/tuner is.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WILL be buying a turbo kit and I will buy based on the following:

5. Price is king. Make the simplest / most generic turbo you can make so you can sell it at a rock bottom price and everyone will buy yours.
You really might want to reconsider #s 1 and 5, simply because cheap price also usually equates to cheap quality. And I don't think it's worth developing a *cheap* solution that might cause catastrophic failure of someone's engine. And as a consumer, you really shouldn't pay less for inferior parts and put yourself at that risk. What if it's your engine that blows up, and you can't get a replacement under warranty? Then you end up shelling out thousands to resolve a problem that could've been avoided if you spent an extra couple hundred the first time around. This whole scenario is played out VERY OFTEN in the world of aftermarket automotive performance, and I'd hate to see it happen here too...
Old 03-06-2004, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

Rev Hard is coming out with a front mount intercooled kit. Just give them a few more months to finish it up so that it is flawless to the public.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Turbo kits

I see talking but no action. I found two web sites that have turbo kits for the xB. Go to www.scioned.com or www.turbokits.com. You will find kits there plus other cool stuff for the xB. Hoped this helped.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't see the action, because fuel management sucks ___. I offically stopped with my plans to make that damn kit a long time ago.

BTW no turbo kits are out yet.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRedBox
You can't see the action, because fuel management sucks ___. I offically stopped with my plans to make that damn kit a long time ago.

i got fuel management worked out
Old 03-15-2004, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Hey peppy....How's your turbo setup coming along?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by abbfanuc
Hey peppy....How's your turbo setup coming along?
it's coming, the manifold is getting made this week, i'm shooting for a june 1st release date
Old 03-17-2004, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by peppy

another controller and set of fuel injectors
or inline pump.....
or u got under the car and put a pressure regulator on the return line off the pump so u could raise the pressure....or another way? just curious
Old 03-17-2004, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxb04
Originally Posted by peppy

another controller and set of fuel injectors
or inline pump.....
or u got under the car and put a pressure regulator on the return line off the pump so u could raise the pressure....or another way? just curious
none of the above i'm not gonna leak too much info about it but i will this and this only, it will be plug and play
Old 03-17-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Old turbo article...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0402tur_scion/
Old 03-21-2004, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default forced induction reality....

i work for Dynotech Performance in Manville, NJ ....

I just recently joined the forum to learn more about the Scion vehicles since I might buy one in the near future to replace my '87 CRX which runs great, but is starting to fall apart around the engine lol

At my shop we primarily work on forced induction cars like the Buick Grand National, GMC Syclone/Typhoon, and Supercharged 3800 GM cars, among other variants of FI applications including imports.

I see a lot of people requiring that these supercharger and/or turbo kits be "cheap". I must forwarn that any aspect of adapting a normally aspirated engine to forced induction is hardly cheap.

It will require the obvious exhaust and intake plumbing rework and packaging. Depending on the strength of the stock engine, its internals, head gaskets, and ability of the cooling system to absorb the increased heat generated by a forced induction engine you'd have to address those systems.

Also, the same applies to the transmission being used. You'll induce more wear and tear on the stock parts. Consideration for restalled torque converter or aftermarket clutch... making a shift-kit for the auto trans and addressing whatever weaknesses when you start throwing 60+hp at it.

Also, the stock fuel system will need to be augmented with either a puller pump or upgrading the existing pump with a Walbro 340, 392LS, or Weldon or similar and enlarging the feed and return lines to provide more fuel volume on demand... also the stock injectors have a certain power support capability and that also varies depending on their duty cycle.

You can suppress detonation with either a alcohol injection or propane injection kit. Our turbo buicks can get into the 10s on pump gas in a 3600lb car by using the alky or propain.

A piggy-back computer will be needed, or a secondary, separate fuel system and injectors will be needed and switched on when boost is sensed by a Hobbs pressure switch or RPM switch. You could ad extra injectors to the intake tract to do this.

Based on the weight of the xB, I figured out that you'd need to make about 216rwhp to break into the 12s, which I think is the contemporary all-around respectable performance goal for anything street driven... at least around these parts..., that's in a manual equipped xB, so that equates to about 260whp.

Also, the manual will always be slower then a auto equipped vehicle with a turbo, even with a BOV. An auto will shift consistently and faster then any stick car.

I think if you want quick bang-for-the buck, a NOS system would work if you keep it at 75hp-shot or less. It has its own augmentation for the fuel system, is easier to install, doesn't require screwing with the computer usually...

The xB wasn't designed to go fast. To make it fast and more powerfull, going beyond the confines of the original design will NOT be cheap by any means.. unless you've got a great hook-up with a company who is going to make a kit for these... or in my case friends with a custom fabrication shop.

Despite my connections, I don't plan on going to forced induction. I'll do basic NA applicable mods and then leave it alone.

Heck, if I was dying to make a xB fast, I'd set the firewall back, cut the floor out and build in a trans tunnel, stick in a live axle, mini-tub it and put in either a Mitsu 4g63 with big turbo, or a grand national engine with 2004r on a trans-brake, or, if I could squeeze it, a Supra 2JZ-GTE engine :D

Then I could go smoke all them turbo Dodge Caravans

For the indefinite future, if and when i get a xB, it'll be appearance, comfort and minor bolt-on mods and i'll leave my disgusting-amount-of-power plans to my supra powered chrysler conquest project

Quick Reply: Who's interestd in a turbo?