Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Write-up on transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Write-up on transmission fluid change?

I looked in the tech section and there was only a write up for a Lexus.....does anyone have a write up on changing the transmission fluid on the xA, xB?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Its pretty simple. There is a drain bolt at the lowest point of the trans on the drivers side. Remove that to drain. About halfway up the transmission there is the fill bolt. Remove that and fill the trans up until the level is at the bottom of that hole. I think I used 2qts when I did mine.
Youll need a pump if you try to fill it from below or you can do what I did and buy a piece of heater hose, run it into the transmission, and pour the gear oil in from the top.

BE SURE NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS! The transmission is aluminum and it will strip out easily!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

write-up for tC
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120673

same concept... but i usually just use a funnel or pump and get it thru the fill plug.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This should help:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=141107
Old 11-02-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Write-up on transmission fluid change?

Originally Posted by dinkjs
....does anyone have a write up on changing the transmission fluid on the xA, xB?
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0Oil%20Change/
Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Its pretty simple. There is a drain bolt at the lowest point of the trans on the drivers side. Remove that to drain. About halfway up the transmission there is the fill bolt. Remove that and fill the trans up until the level is at the bottom of that hole...
ALWAYS open the fill plug first on what ever it is you are going to drain. Why? It really blows when you drain the transmission and then discover you cant get the fill plug out so you can put the new fluid in. Opening it first gets that possible nightmare out of the way.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Write-up on transmission fluid change?

Originally Posted by dinkjs
I looked in the tech section and there was only a write up for a Lexus.....does anyone have a write up on changing the transmission fluid on the xA, xB?
need a big oil pan and one of those auto trans oil catch funnels (less of a mess to clean off the ground later)

is it for a automatic or a manual

every body else replyed for manual trans...

but for an automatic transmission idk if it has a drain plug... if it does have one drain it from there and take all the bolts from the pan out and soon as the pan is free, clean it real good and get all the metal shavings out away from the magnet and replace the oil trans filter and bolt every thing back up

if it doesn't have a drain plug its a some what a pretty messy oil change

loosen one corner of the oil pan bolts and take out all the other bolts out break the pan loose and let all the oil drain soon as its done draining take the rest of the bolts from the corner out there will be some oil left in the pan and clean it out replace the oil trans filter and bolt every thing back up

and fill the tranny fluid back thru the oil dip stick hole to the correct amount of quarts (pints two pints to a quart) with new tranny fluid and to be on the safe side run it thru all the gears and old it there for a moment in each gear to get the fluid flowing R-N-D-2-L and do it a couple of times just to make sure...