Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xa limiter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Question xa limiter???

dose anyone know if the limiter on the 04 xa is removable or if its built in? if its removable or if theres a way to bypass it, dose anyone know how to im very interested! any advise would be appreciated. try to be as detailed as possible if anyone knows, thanx!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh goody! a 17 year old who just got their license and a car and immediately wants to take it to triple digits speeds!

dude, you have 88 whp, how much higher above the speed limiter do you think the car will go before the wind resistance will stop you? do you have power mods to actually get you to those speeds? are you actually tracking the car on high speed courses to make it matter?

no? then what is the point? please drive safely and realize that it is a scion xA, it is not a speed machine, and on public roads. also, your speed limiter is there because your stock tires are not designed to handle speeds above that. if you do, the wheels are likely to experience failure.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what limiter are you refereing to the RPm or the Speed limited either way theres no point on removing it its there for a reason so you dont wreck your car..its a XA not a race car..not to be a dush bag but theres no reason to remove or bypass it..stay safe on the road no need to go faster then whats required
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

we drive a 1.5L car that has 88 if that HP. if you are completely stock you will hit about 106 if youre lucky and it will take you about 3 miles to get to that. there is no bragging rights to be had with a top speed of 105 so there is no reason in doing so.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

whoa whoa take it easy guys! im not lookin to break any records and im not tryin to impress anyone(im well aware its just a scion xa) im just turning this into a project car of mine. and yes i do have mods already put on my lil xa, i just put in a turbo and im in the process of a new intercoller. i have a connection to an array of part cuz my uncles auto shop and this is just a project to see what we can push out of this little rice burner(and i got a lil bet me n my uncle are in on). and on top of all that, its not how fast can i go, its how fast can i get there! im not interested in turning heads. the only heads that will be turning are those who are laughing anyway. this is all for the experience. and besides real soon down the road im lookin into gettin a Tc and alot of the parts can be transfered directly to the Tc or with a lil machining. get what im sayin??? now dose anyone know anything bout the speed and or rpm limiter???? its cool if no one is sure i just need some solid advice!(not ridicule, geeeeeeeeeze!)
Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

im aware of the dangers of taking this all to the road. i NEVER push my ride any more than a widge over the limit. im in no position for a ticket anyway. as you guys have pointed out im not 18 quite yet. im not aware of any tracks near San Diego to test my ride but i know of a couple places ive been taken to up near the Saltin Sea. if you guys know any tracks near San Diego or atleast in SoCal area id appreciate that alot. thanx to anyone willing to help.(im aspiring to make a career in car performance and tunning, and this is my first real project so any help would be appreciated)
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best place to test it is on a D Y N O !
Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you kidding? what parts would carry over to the tC from an xA turbo kit? probably just the piggyback ECU, but you would need a diffrent harness, and...the turbo...which would probably be too small for the tC to be very effective. the manifold...no, intercooler...maybe...depends on how big it is...but not really worth it.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

well the tc is all a fantasy for the time being(at least a year), salvaging any parts from the xa is just wishful thinking so its not a total waste of green,and for nothing more than shlits and giggles ...the xa will probably end up a pile of garbage and parted away a couple years from now anyway, unless its worth anything beatn, over tuned, and with pretty high miles...

Last edited by padillaXA; 11-10-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

and to Jan06xB, i already have plans for the D Y N O!, i just curios as to where theres some tracks for future reference and i know people interested in the real track experience to test on rather than just numbers from a computer.

Last edited by padillaXA; 11-10-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

speed limited to ~118, but it's only geared to ~126 so taking the speed limiter off is pretty pointless unless you really need those 8 mph.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wonder what the speedo says when guys run the engine up on a DYNO - they hit the rev limiter or the speed limiter in top gear when they test it?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

i had mine on an old airport run way hit top speed of 125 REV limit kicked in but i also drive an xb... good luck on your search
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

ive maxed my box out and dont recall a limit?(gen 1)i took it all the way till the car turned off thats the only limit i had...im sure if you got rid of the ecu and used a greedy or aem unit and changed or tweaked a few things like your fuel etc from the tune..its cool that ya want to do this but it is really a waste of time to use this as just a ish and giggles car .there is just no support for this car sadly,i know its way overdone but your best bet is a honda.xa/xb 1.5 that makes hardly 100 hp compared to the b16 1.6 that makes 160 .supercharged we still only get around 130 turbo maybe 200 ..honda turbo b16 will make around 300 the choice should be obvious less money more power..if you do go through with this post up what ya did and your #'s etc id like to see them ..
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

hey, thanx for the support but ive pretty much put an end to any efforts on my Xa. i've parted everything out and replaced it with all the stock parts, blew the headers and didn't feel like wasting anymore money and time on this project. i might come back to it in the future.... and yea you got a good point bout tunning out a Honda. that'll definetly be my next project. i'm thinking either a prelude or what im favoring more a tc, only because i enjoy working toyotas' more, don't know why, just a personal preference. itll be some time though, ive done a pretty good job runnin out all my fundage
Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i took my box to the limit before, there is a pic floating around on here somewhere of 125. i was getting about 12 mpg while doing that
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

yupers and not a big fan of the prelude motors im more into the b series line although i would like to get a another da teg(90's) and put a k series and see how i like that..a tc would be cool you can def get some nice power out of that.im just a fan of when the v-tec hits sounds so fe'n nice ,but sounds good as long as you do it right and enjoy it and have fun..everyone has there own opinions and will tell ya this or that but you never learn unless ya do it yourself and fix your own mistakes.i had tons of people try and tell me how and what to do to my da teg and told me a b16 was weak yet i was running with camaros and vettes.im not a fan of the rice rocket look just clean simple power house ...just do lots of research on products and make sure it can handle what ya need to do for you..
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

alright, thanx for the advice n support... gunna need it.