Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB belt replacement problems need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 AM
SL Member

Default xB belt replacement problems need help.

Alright, I was changing the two belts on my girlfriends 05 xB and got finished but running into a problem. The car starts, sounds just fine, but the check engine light, VSC light, and trac off light come on and stay on. I tried letting it run for a minute, turning off, wait a minute, and turning on but it has not alleviated the issue.

Is there any particular cause to this, maybe the belts aren't tight enough, or too tight (though I doubt that)? I wont have a chance to get a reader for a day or so, bout to try to reset the battery and see if that helps.

Any help is much appreciated, the faster the better

-Matt

Edit: I tried to reset the battery, still throwing the three lights. To give a little more info, I did search for the three codes and checked my gas cap to make sure it was nice and tight, then check around the engine bay to make sure nothing had come loose or anything while I was working on the belts. Couldn't find anything and I am pretty lost, will try to go by Autozone or somewhere to get the code read and give more info, but any information that may help is appreciated.

Edit 2: After calling around I can't seem to find a place to pull a code for free anymore...so I have to either get a scanner myself or take it somewhere...trying to avoid putting more money into this, since it was running fine before. Will update if I find out the code, but again, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Edit 3: Drove car around, lights are still on, but runs and sounds better than before I did the belts. Will check on car again tomorrow and post updates.

Last edited by MikeRackhabit; 08-19-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 AM
SL Member

if autozone wont scan it for you, you can always buy this:

http://www.mo-co-so.com/OBD-II-USB-E...bd-323-usb.htm

i use this, comes with free software to scan codes and clear CEL
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
SL Member

That isn't too badly priced (AutoZone wanted 59.99 for one), would be a good investment to get anyways.

My friend said they should still do loaners, so I'm going to call around to try and find one. Thanks for the part referral.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A Scangauge II is pretty nifty as well. OT, do you think you could've knocked a sensor out of place while changing the belts or something? And what belts were you changing out?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 AM
SL Member

Power Steering and Alternator/Accessory Belt.

As far as hitting anything or moving anything odd. I didn't unplug any sensors, when changing the Alternator Belt I pretty much just hit my hand, I may have hit the power steering pump, not too hard, but the ratchet slipped on the lower bolt (the one hidden behind the pulley) and whacked it.

Didn't do any visible damage, or seem to hit anything important on the exterior, but maybe there's a sensor or something fragile it could have damaged on the inside?

Edit: Also had a wrench on top of the engine itself, it fell toward the firewall and onto the exhaust, then the ground. Checked to see if any plugs/hoses or anything looked undone and didn't see anything.

Last edited by MikeRackhabit; 08-19-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
SL Member

Bump.