Notices

1NZ-FE TRD Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 1NZ-FE TRD Turbo

Why is the TRD turbo kit for the 1NZ-FE not offered to the states. the Vios was offered limited edition from toyota turbocharged by TRD from factory. 143 hp @6400 RPM and 196 nm @4400 rpms. source http://paultan.org/archives/2005/11/...ta-vios-turbo/

seems it would have made the xB even more of a hot item had this been offered to us.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its because the bB has a different ecu than the xB. Even if you got a hold of the TRD turbo from Japan, it wouldnt work on our cars.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ecu is merely a technicality. it would have been an awesome "option", especially since they arlready had a turbo kit for it and ecu. the only thing i can think of is maybe emissions, however, if one was to go for the jdm kit, greddy emanage woud take care of the ecu issue. but with the several aftermarket turbo kits available for the 1NZ-FE it wouldn't make much sense to go through the hassle of getting a hold of a JDM Yota kt, it just suprises me that Toyota would not capitalize on the opportunity considering they already have produced turbocharged vesions of the 1NZ-FE
Old 05-22-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

YEah I wonder that as well. They probably wanted the best MPG for the 1NZ-FE and something that will be the most reliable, meaning no F/I
Old 05-22-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tuning issues...they use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor and they run 100+ octane compared to our 91+ octane...running more timing to get those numbers over there is way less of an issue than being able to duplicate the numbers here with our lower octane rating...sucks to be us
Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

^^^Exactly. There is a big difference between the bB and the xB.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by MattyRattyPoo
Its because the bB has a different ecu than the xB. Even if you got a hold of the TRD turbo from Japan, it wouldnt work on our cars.
What if we were to get ahold of a jdm ecu? Would it even be compatible??
Old 06-03-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you got the ecu, it wouldn't do much for you. The wiring harness is different to start, and the tuning on the ecu is based upon a 100oct level.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by NeoXa
If you got the ecu, it wouldn't do much for you. The wiring harness is different to start, and the tuning on the ecu is based upon a 100oct level.
So could you wire an adapter harness? 100 octane would be better for performance...but how would the motor respond to that change? I'm not thinking it would be good lol
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that work too. But you can't really the ecu at all, seeing as the tune is based upon what they give you when they put the ecu flash. And based upon a smaller motor. So piggy back or stand alone is kinda a must.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 AM

well they are thinking about bringing the yaris over supercharged with the same engine so there may be some hope
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mmm weird...... i live in Costa Rica and the Yaris Turbo from TRD has been available since 2000.... i has 150hp at the engine....not bad but not really good and the turbo is set up at 5psi..... course the engine is turbo prepared so I guess it could probable hold 8psi easily.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 AM

yes your engine should be cast iron sleeved like the rest of the XA and Xb ist whatever it should hold the pressure if you cannot modify with boost controller standalone or emanage or maybe even the primitive way of rising rate fuel pressure regulator injectors fuel pump possibly boost guage and turn boost up on wastegate just make sure to tune on dyno and leave set I would set it to the max you can where it leans out then back it off a pound just in case boost pressure spike protect the engine. the connecting rods are the weak link from what I understand if you cannot find aftermarket there are ways of strengthening shotpeening should be cheap I would suspect it could hold 10psi as a 1.6 single overhead cam honda I have holds 14 pounds no problem with all stock internals 125,000 miles now going strong plan in frame at 150 or switch to zc motor. I would suspect 210whp out of ur engine safely if done right
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 AM

yes your engine should be cast iron sleeved like the rest of the XA and Xb ist whatever it should hold the pressure if you cannot modify with boost controller standalone or emanage or maybe even the primitive way of rising rate fuel pressure regulator injectors fuel pump possibly boost guage and turn boost up on wastegate just make sure to tune on dyno and leave set I would set it to the max you can where it leans out then back it off a pound just in case boost pressure spike protect the engine. the connecting rods are the weak link from what I understand if you cannot find aftermarket there are ways of strengthening shotpeening should be cheap I would suspect it could hold 10psi as a 1.6 single overhead cam honda I have holds 14 pounds no problem with all stock internals 125,000 miles now going strong plan in frame at 150 or switch to zc motor. I would suspect 210whp out of ur engine safely if done right
Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone trying to go the JDM route will end up spending a ton more money than just getting a kit that is available in the states. Wiring harness? Sure, you can get the jdm wiring harness but those are COSTLY, not to mention the labor of pulling out your harness and putting the JDM one in, assuming all the sensors, etc are the same. All that time and money, you could have gotten 2 Greddy kits.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: 1NZ-FE TRD Turbo

Originally Posted by Experimental
Why is the TRD turbo kit for the 1NZ-FE not offered to the states. the Vios was offered limited edition from toyota turbocharged by TRD from factory. 143 hp @6400 RPM and 196 nm @4400 rpms. source http://paultan.org/archives/2005/11/...ta-vios-turbo/

seems it would have made the xB even more of a hot item had this been offered to us.
that explains why our motors can handle 10lbs of boost with ease.... toyota designed the motor to handle a turbo.... i feel sorry for my motor now, what if it had been shipped to the warehouse that made the Vios Turbo, my motor would have had such a better life with a turbo strapped on it
Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah people going the JDM route...don't so much worry about the money that goes into it. It's more about your car is showing you and what you want to have. Not what is cheap and just get just because..
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
tuning issues...they use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor and they run 100+ octane compared to our 91+ octane...running more timing to get those numbers over there is way less of an issue than being able to duplicate the numbers here with our lower octane rating...sucks to be us
Well I have a mini cooper S that uses a MAP sensor, is 1.6L that is forced induction and in stock form puts out 168hp. Currently running 192 HP with intake , exhaust and a 15% reduction pulley on the SC....
No reason the xB's MAP system can't handle it with the 91+ fuel...
It needs some ECM programming... My mini is still using stock programming....
The xB was designed for fuel economy... but you can have both... I get 27mpg city and 35 hwy in the mini... and its heavier than the scion...
It's only time before someone comes out with a reprogrammer or a piggy-back unit for the ECU. But the xB still won't be as quick... its not designed for speed...
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
Well I have a mini cooper S that uses a MAP sensor, is 1.6L that is forced induction and in stock form puts out 168hp. Currently running 192 HP with intake , exhaust and a 15% reduction pulley on the SC....
The xB was designed for fuel economy... but you can have both... I get 27mpg city and 35 hwy in the mini... and its heavier than the scion...
It's only time before someone comes out with a reprogrammer or a piggy-back unit for the ECU. But the xB still won't be as quick... its not designed for speed...
How do you know that you are getting 192hp in the Mini? Also there are plenty of piggybacks for the Scion ECU already. The problem is that the self learning ECU will overwrite things...its THAT smart. As far as the XB going fast, I am certain a turbo xb will easily take a Cooper S with not problem at all. There are plenty of people running 15s NA with just bolt ons. Blown XBs can see mid to low 13s properly tuned.

The other problem is also that the Toyotas/Scions dont use a map sensor. All the newer cars use a Hotwire sensor.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Originally Posted by mikem53
How do you know that you are getting 192hp in the Mini? Also there are plenty of piggybacks for the Scion ECU already. The problem is that the self learning ECU will overwrite things...its THAT smart. As far as the XB going fast, I am certain a turbo xb will easily take a Cooper S with not problem at all. There are plenty of people running 15s NA with just bolt ons. Blown XBs can see mid to low 13s properly tuned.

The other problem is also that the Toyotas/Scions dont use a map sensor. All the newer cars use a Hotwire sensor.
Because I had the mini dynoed. If it were such a smart self-learning ECU, then it would know how to handle the airflow.. What you said makes no sense. MAF or MAP .. it doesn't matter... they both can read the airflow or pressure..
So what would you rather have? A bolt-on turbo for a econo-box that is factory set for fuel economy.. or a factory built car that is designed around forced induction?
There are twincharged minis running around with 350 whp. The box don't have a chance.. It is what it is...
Good luck trying to beat a cooper S with a xB.. blown or not..

Quick Reply: 1NZ-FE TRD Turbo