Notices

best turbo kit for xB specificly and what else is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default best turbo kit for xB specificly and what else is needed?

it's probably been asked multiple times... buuuut

from opinion, what would be the best xB full turbo kit? i'm just looking for enough to get rid of that slow acceleration problem of hitting the freeway, going up hills and yes... keeping up with some friends...

what would be the best full kit and what else i would need based on best compatability with whatever full turbo kit is sugjested?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going to try and answer this as un-biased as I can.

What is best for one might not be the best for another.

As far as I know in regards to turbo kits that are offered for the xB you have the following:

ZPI
HKS
Greddy
Turbotoyotas

If I missed one please forgive me. They all have something different to offer, with the HKS and Greddy offerings being pretty similar.

You have the big names in Greddy and HKS. There names speak for themselves. Both come with engine management and are "complete" kits.
Greddy uses Emange for managment
HKS uses there F-COn mini for management

Not too familar with any "fitment" issues regarding installation, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Power gains are decent, probably good all around driveability.

Retail on the HKS is $3250.00
Retail on the Greddy is $2950.00

Through dealers I am sure you can get a better price.

ZPI's kit is also a complete kit, that comes with fuel management. They use the Greddy Emange for management. They offer a different approach by remote mounting the turbo. They dont use a traditional manifold but take advantage of using an aftermarket(might work with factory header im not sure)header to mount the turbo. Which is good for those who have already invested in purchasing a header.

There kit of all 4 will offer the most top end power, as they have made over 180whp

There kit retails for $2999.99

Turbotoyotas kit is a complete kit, but does not come with fuel management. They leave the fuel managment choice to the customer, as there is more than one option.
The kit offers a bigger turbo than either the HKS and Greddy but smaller than ZPI.

Offers the broadest powerband of all 4 kits, more top end than the HKS or Greddy, but loosing out on top end power to ZPI.

Its also the most expensive of the 4, retailing for $3299.00

But like I said in the beginning what might be best for one might not be best for another.

My best advice is do you homework on each manufacturer and see what they have to offer. Figure out what you want out of the kit you are looking for, power, driveability, installation, costs and then select which kit works best for you.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope I come across as un-biased as possible. If for some reason anyone has any problem with anything I wrote, please let me know and I will edit my post.

Regards-

Todd
Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess in a way i would be looking for an in between for driveability and power. i really don't care to completely boost my box out to race or anything but a boost from the stock 103hp would be nice especialy when having about 175lbs extra weight in the back. though it wont be noticeable that much, i still would like to boost it a bit.

i was thinking of just usinf the Greddy kit as it's all over the place, but i'm looking for an exceptional power range from 1k througn 4k atleast or like 2k-5k or something. a large enough range to have noticeable gain in almost every espect. i don't know much about turbo kits other then the fact they have lag time and compared to a supercharger they don't hurt your milage very much because of the lag time.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well there is a Off/On switch for one of the blowers, its some kinda clutch that is adjustible. And you could prolly juice 30mpg from a hummer if you drove it right, I would suspect that the spool lag does help some what but like youll ever keep it under that point XD.

All have the same driveability i would suspect and if your not going for peak power, go with greddy its prolly the best choice for you and its the cheapest. BUT if your driving an auto You may have to look into which kit is compatible as i only know of ZPI's compatibility with the auto.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll give you my recommendation, but keep in mind I am a total novice. And before I give my own opinion, I must say, take anything "TurboToyotas" says to heart. He knows his stuff.

If you have an automatic, I would probably skip a turbo all together. I would point you toward a Greddy Supercharger. You won't make as much power, but it is a very simple plug and play operation with no tuning involved.

If you have an auto and still insist on more power, I would give the Turbo Toyotas kit SERIOUS consideration. Sure it is more expensive, and requires you to purchase your own engine management. But the quality of the components used in the kit are top notch. This is the same kit I would recommend for a manual transmission car as well.

If you feel that the Turbo Toyotas kit is just too much either price or performance wise, I would say go Greddy turbo. And of course, get the intercooler.

There are two other very important things to remember if you get a turbo. Number one is TUNING. Find a local shop that really knows what their doing, and get a quote for tuning the car. A well tuned kit can be worry free and last pretty much forever. A poorly tuned car can grenade in a matter of seconds.

Lastly, get some good gauges. Primarily AFR and Boost gauges. I know the AEM UEGO gauges are very populer. Whoever you buy your kit from can probably give some good recommendations in this area.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking of getting some of those "Cobalt" Auto meters i think from cardomain.com to match with the blue lighting in the amps and under the dash.

and Turbotoyotas, i thank you for the info you have given it's very helpful. i'll be driving a manual so i will have the advantage over the automatic. i guess i will just go with the Greddy kit, i AM really not looking for peak power, but a good boost in everyday driving.

i'm mainly concerned about my gained *about* 175lbs in the rear... i'll be replacing the rear hatch, hood and front fenders with carbon fiber pieces. i'm not sure how much wieght i'll loose from all that but that much will help aswell.

i've got a friend of mine who basicly has his own shop and whatnot and hes been helping my alot with learning about this all and i really appreciate everyone's help here. hes going to go through the deeper details about turbos with me later and hes already taught me much about suspension stiffening and whatnot on that end. i will also be helping him redo his entire 240SX and he will be taking me through all the neccesseties and teach me more.

using the Greddy kit, what kind of HP gain would i be looking at here? 103 to what about?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

using the Greddy kit, what kind of HP gain would i be looking at here? 103 to what about
Its 103hp at the crank rated from the factory.

When I dynoed my stock xA it made 80 whp and 92 ft lbs.

As far as dyno results for the greddy kit you are looking at around 140 whp and 130 ft lbs at the wheels. (peak power)

Just for comparisons sake, the Greddy kit makes 130 ft lbs(peak torgue too) at around 4700rpms.

At the same boost levels my kit(just a comparison not trying to float my own boat...honest ) makes 130ft lbs at 3000rpms and keeps climbing.....
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and what about milage wise, how much of a hinder is it to the milage?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

Originally Posted by Winter
and what about milage wise, how much of a hinder is it to the milage?
ZPI didn't have really any loss with gas mileage. I think they may have gotten a little bit better gas mileage. Don't quote me on it, but I haven't heard anything major with their kit. It will work with the factory header.

I don't like how the greddy and HKS mounts. They don't offer a plate or wrapping to protect some of the vital parts from extreme heat.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The other thing to keep in mind with a manual transmission is that you WILL NEED a new clutch. You will destroy the stock clutch in short order, no matter which option you choose. It isn't a matter of if, but when.

Clutch prices start out at about $250 for a "Stage 1" and go up from there, depending on how aggressive you want to get. The installation isn't cheap either. Make sure you get price quotes for this at the sime time you are pricing out your turbo options.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

Agreed. Try to get all the parts you need at the same time. You will save money on the install cost from the shop.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RTon20s
The other thing to keep in mind with a manual transmission is that you WILL NEED a new clutch. You will destroy the stock clutch in short order, nop matter which option you choose. It isn't a matter of if, but when.

Clucth prices start out at about $250 for a "Stage 1" and go up from there, depending on how aggressive you want to get. The installation isn't cheap either. Make sure you get price quotes for this at the sime time you are pricing out your turbo options.
i second that.... i had my xB at 5 psi with the stock clutch... sliped with the first wot pass... stage 3 or higher is a great choice.... stage 2 will slip over time
Old 02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

Originally Posted by fusionscion
The other thing to keep in mind with a manual transmission is that you WILL NEED a new clutch. You will destroy the stock clutch in short order, nop matter which option you choose. It isn't a matter of if, but when.

Clucth prices start out at about $250 for a "Stage 1" and go up from there, depending on how aggressive you want to get. The installation isn't cheap either. Make sure you get price quotes for this at the sime time you are pricing out your turbo options.
i second that.... i had my xB at 5 psi with the stock clutch... sliped with the first wot pass... stage 3 or higher is a great choice.... stage 2 will slip over time
A lot of cars will do that.

btw, I like your xB. I got to see it up close at ZPI about a week ago. Really clean.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB
Originally Posted by fusionscion

A lot of cars will do that.

btw, I like your xB. I got to see it up close at ZPI about a week ago. Really clean.
Everytime someone comments on peters xB I have to chime in with what did you think about mine sitting at ZPI's Shop LOL it's the 1 that says TOY BX on the plates, I get a bit jelious LOL
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thx for the compliments... i my xB.... i cannot wait to get her back..

enuf.. wanna race when my car is ready? do you life close by the shop...
Old 02-04-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

Didn't know the screenname to match that xB. I am sure you all have seen the black Conquest up at the shop. Thats my old car that is finally coming back to me hopefully in a few days. But yes your xB looks nice too. Where in KY are you from? I live in Lyndon.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in northern ky just across the river from cincinnati oh in a little town called Hebron it is where the airport is. And to answer your question Peter I'm about 100 miles or so from the shop. I have an auto so if you'll give me 5 I'll take that race. Right now my car has a few issues with the Tranny not liking the boost or something it runs good when cold but once it warms up it dosn't want to run at all. Hopefully I can get a tranny upgrade for a good price but thats up the the gang at the shop. fingers crossed, As for the topic in this post I'm kinda getting the best of 2 worlds so to speak I have a greddy turbo that is being installed by ZPI I wish I would have gotten the ZPI kit, BTW does anyone have the march/april issue of truck trend if so check out the 2006 Hennessey SRT600 Jeep Grand Cherokee article starting on page 62 something looks hmmmm a little like the ZPI kit.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get my turbo for racing either, I just wanted to get a little more umpf like yourself and if I get to kick a few hondas along the way that'll work also lol.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sugjests for clutches then? i was looking at Exety i think it is with thier hyper series and carbon series.

only thing i see wrong with the carbon is that it requires to be warmed up for a few minutes with a series of dumb founded revs and idle modes every time you start the vehicle up...

also my friend is telling me i should do a Garrett turbo custom settup to get the most out of my box and aquire 13psi... judging by what others have said, isn't that a little too much?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

You mean exedy.

Carbon clutches are just stronger clutches. The thing about warming it up has to do with the fluid. It goes for any car. Just helps keep the life on the carbon clutch.

13psi might be a little too much for a stock motor. I know ZPI turned up the boost and they didn't break the motor but tore up an axle. Plus with their location of the turbo you don't have to worry about a lot of heat in the engine.

Quick Reply: best turbo kit for xB specificly and what else is needed?