Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default WHICH IS BETTER FOR DRAG RACING

GREDDY TURBO KIT OR SC KIT?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

greddy turbo kit but that depends on a lot of different variables and dont write in caps people will think your yellin lol
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greddy turbo kit...you can turn up the boost with a turn of a dial.

Don't know if they make an upgraded pulley for the SC.

As they are, the supercharger might get you quicker short times but the turbo will be better up top, giving you a quicker et overall.

Hope that helps.

Regards-

Todd
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...euh...since xa's have small motors, they wouldn't be able to spool up a big turbo very fast, and and smaller turbo's would run out of efficency. so i would guess that maybe superchargers would be better since the boost is directly rpm related?

i'm not the foremost authority on forced induction so i might be wrong on this one.

seems like most episodes of pinks, everybody has a supercharged engines so i'm guessing they are the more poppular choice.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm...euh...since xa's have small motors, they wouldn't be able to spool up a big turbo very fast, and and smaller turbo's would run out of efficency
The Greddy kit does not have a big turbo. It wouldn't have been wise on Greddys part to offer a kit with a large turbo as it would have been tough to market.

The Greddy Kit or any other for the xA/xB are no where near running inefficiently, as they are only running at 5-10psi. The turbos used have allot left in them.

seems like most episodes of pinks, everybody has a supercharged engines so i'm guessing they are the more poppular choice.
WOW! Sorry and don't take offense to that....but there is one of the main reasons why I dont like the show and I have been on it 3 times. Bad Education. It gives the wrong idea to the general public and this is a good example of it.

1st off......PINKS cars are usually built out of parts that are laying around the shop, and most V8 guys are into blowers + the fact that they are allot cheaper. You want to spend as little as possible.

2nd most of those guys on PINKS are OLD SCHOOL and are not into Electronic Fuel Injection, they are stuck in there ways of mechanical fuel delivery....it works for them so why change...

But if you look at the Import cars that have been on there, the fast ones have all used turbos.

Look at import drag racing......how many blowers/superchargers you see vs the amount of cars with turbos.

Anyways....I'll stop here, you get the point.

Regards-

Todd
Old 04-03-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dragsters use Surperchargers not turbos. It probably does not matter that much on our cars, but a SC is by nature a mechanical boost that spools up quicker than a turbo.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OldYeller
Dragsters use Surperchargers not turbos. It probably does not matter that much on our cars, but a SC is by nature a mechanical boost that spools up quicker than a turbo.
yea that's what I thought.... but when my buddy and Igot dyno'd it showed otherwise. The Greddy Turbo puts out 11 ft. lbs. more torque at only 4psi., and at a low 3,300 rpm. This is compared to the Blitz charger @ 7psi
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well superchargers are known to be safer on the motor, they dont experience boost spikes like some turbos are known to do, in other words, superchargers are more controllable. Just my $0.02
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so sc it is and i can always get a custom pulley made if i want to increase boost.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To decide between a turbo vs a SC you need to look at what you are going to use them for. if all you want is to make your 1NZ a little more fun to drive, go with a SC, a lot less complicated and in many ways more reliable than a turbo. if you are wanting to boost to get as much hp as possible, continue modding and increase the boost later to try to get your little motor going as fast as you can, go with a turbo. it is more efficient and will be easier to mod, and will net you higher hp numbers and will allow you to go faster. SC's are great for those who want to make their car "more drivable" for the racer, always go with a turbo. Personally, i went with the GReddy SC and will be installing in my wifes box in about a week when i get home on leave. I just wanted to make the car a little more fun to drive, make passing on the freeway easier, and hills not so ominous. If it was my box i would have gotten a turbo so i could have milked everything out of it i could have... so it boils down to, what do you want?...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Drag racing? You bought the wrong car.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what 103 hp! i think we all bought the wrong car. but we all are looking for extra power out of these toasters and shoes.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say it depends what you are using it for. Drag racing i would sure go with turbo. On a tight auto cross course i would take supercharger anyday over turbo. like a bunch of others said take into account what you want. I personally want to supercharger my egg....
Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just blew my box... hehehe, yeah, the GReddy s/c kicks butt. instant power. its not a rocket ship but so much easier to drive on the freeway and up hills. pulls really strong in first and second too. makes it so much more drivable.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TT, what does your kit run in the quarter mile? any idea?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard of several people having problems with the s/cs on their boxes. Sheering pins and what not.

Anyone heard of this?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will always get better times out of a turbo engine, than an s/c. Yeah, big v8's get blown, supercharged, and that works best for carbuerated engines, with relativly low rpm red lines (5-6k rpm). 4 cyl. high rpm engines respond better through out the range with turbo's, and turbo systems offer enough aftermarket products and tweaks to be adjusted to whatever your purposes are. The turbo kits for these things only run at 5-8 psi, and for most turbos that pressure is pretty easy to achieve with not that much "spool time" involved. Turbo's can lead to more headaches than s/c's, but the results are worth it, in my opinion, and are basically infinatley adjustable for power as the necessary mods are made. Now that i've said that, I still am going with an s/c, due to ease of instal and maintenance on my daily driver. However, we are a building a family track car project, here at the house, its gettin' the turbo (sorry its a honda).
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, the superchargers will shear the roll pins on the crank pulley, but if you have seen the roll pin you will wonder why it doesnt do it stock, it is a hollow thin walled roll pin, i replaced mine with a hardened drill bit, works great, no problems.