BOV on an Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default BOV on an Auto

I am about to buy a turbo kit for my Xb, its an automatic. I got it a month and a half ago. All my prior cars were manual. I dont know why I bought an automatic, i definately regret the auto, I wish I could trade it for a manual.

But anyways, my question is:

Will the BOV still work with an automatic?
Does it work on vaccum, or will it only work when it shifts?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: BOV on an Auto

Originally Posted by HotBox420
I am about to buy a turbo kit for my Xb, its an automatic. I got it a month and a half ago. All my prior cars were manual. I dont know why I bought an automatic, i definately regret the auto, I wish I could trade it for a manual.

BOV uses senses throttle closure and air pressure via mechanical measures to release the extra charge. Shouldn't matter if it's auto/manual... Do a search here for Turbocharging 101, Proshop posted it..
Old 06-29-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had people tell me im not going to get the "pshhhh" sound when it shifts, but I haven't asked the experts who install these for a living yet. Like cz3ch said the BOV is used to vent the air so your not trying to force air into the TB when it is closed for shifting and so it wont try to backfeed. So i wouldn't think that it would matter if it was a manny or an auto. But I will be glad to tell you what it sounds like in about a week.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
I have had people tell me im not going to get the "pshhhh" sound when it shifts, but I haven't asked the experts who install these for a living yet. Like cz3ch said the BOV is used to vent the air so your not trying to force air into the TB when it is closed for shifting and so it wont try to backfeed. So i wouldn't think that it would matter if it was a manny or an auto. But I will be glad to tell you what it sounds like in about a week.
Ed Zachery!

My last ride was a 20lb boosted car with 600whp it would blow off prior to a shift... it's all based on throttle open/close and pressure in the charge pipes to prevent surge back into the condensor..
Old 06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: BOV on an Auto

Yes, it will still work. The BOV operates on VACUUM. As soon as it senses any vacuum, a diaphgram opens and releases the air to keep it from surging back and stopping the wheel from spinning, in turn increasing compressor life as well as making it easier to respool when you get back on the gas. You may not get as much of the BOV sound from an auto as you arent under hard vacuum like a MT car when you totally let off the gas in between shifts.

But to answer your question, yes, it will still work
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last is right, it works off vaccum. The reason why you hear it when people shift is because as soon as they let off there is vac pressure that forces the bov to open up. If you put your finger on the hose that goes to the BOV, you can actually feel the suction.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so your saying i wont get the full BOV sound that I would with a manual? How about the power gain, same?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so your saying i wont get the full BOV sound that I would with a manual? How about the power gain, same?
You should still get a good sound with the BOV, just the manual pulls harder and faster and lets down faster when you let off the gas, unlike an auto when you let off the gas it downshifts for you automatically...whereas on a manual you full spool, go into a boosted condition, push the clutch in and let off the throttle and the BOV senses the vaccum change and blows off..

Power should be comparable but you HAVE to tune for auto as the power bands are totally different than in manual..
Old 06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so it seems its not worth it to turbo the auto. Plus all the turbo kits i see, are for manual trans.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=36

That guy has the Greddy turbo kit on his auto. Seems to be fine.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

To answer your question as most have, In your auto when your racing you will not hear the bov because you wont be letting off the gas. But lets say after the race is over and you let off the gas you will hear it for sure. With autos you dont let off of the gas to shift thats the difference between the two. Hopefully you understand now.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes I understand that now, however im unclear on how well the entire turbo kit will operate with the auto. I dont want to cause any problems nor get a lesser power gain than I would with a manual, unless it would be less money, but thats highly unlikely.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to let up off the gas to hear the bov. for an auto expert answerd :D
Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I understand that now, however im unclear on how well the entire turbo kit will operate with the auto. I dont want to cause any problems nor get a lesser power gain than I would with a manual, unless it would be less money, but thats highly unlikely.
You can get the same HP gain from an Auto, but you are going to have to up the boost of the kit. Which inturn will put more stress on the motor and tranny. If you want to add new pistons, rods and beef your tranny up, then you can up the boost safely. (adding a boost cooler Meth/water injection, will help also) An turboed auto xB, is going to still be a blast to drive. If your so down on the auto get rid of it and buy a manny, then you wont have to worry about less of a power gain or the blow off sound.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a BOV on my auto xB...sounded the same as a manual...turbo is better on the auto with these cars cause you never fall out of boost because of high shiftpoints if you know how to drive your car the right way(only need to run 1 more psi to put down the same power as a manual). Obviously when you are flying through the gears it wont blow off, but the minute you let off the gas it will.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I had a BOV on my auto xB...sounded the same as a manual...turbo is better on the auto with these cars cause you never fall out of boost because of high shiftpoints if you know how to drive your car the right way(only need to run 1 more psi to put down the same power as a manual). Obviously when you are flying through the gears it wont blow off, but the minute you let off the gas it will.
You can shift high with a manual. When the auto shifts, boost will go down during shifting also.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i only used to dip down maybe 1 psi in 1-2nd gear, once I was in 3rd-4th pressure drop was prety much non existent...you can shift high with a manual, but your still gonna dip into vac everytime
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

bringin back here, but will the greddy kit for sure work on an auto, cuz i plan on gettin a turbo soon and i to own an auto, and want to be sure that itll work on the auto
Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dont know... i STILL havnt got one, I keep finding things about kits not working on an 06/auto...ive been reading that the greddy supercharger is better for the auto but may have problems with installing, theres a thread around somewhere about rewiring something
Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The piggyback needs to be rewired for 06 applications... no biggie.

Quick Reply: BOV on an Auto