Notices

Coming Soon! - Twincharged xB (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Has this been attempted before on the xB?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

you can do itb's w/FI but it's an uber pain in the **** (the nissan sunny gti-r had them stock iirc) i would def run 2 boost

i would go dual boost gauges as well for monitoring, if you're spiking you'll want to know from what source (though the sc shouldn't cause a spike). a wideband is a must for ANY fi application imo, even if it's not as complex as this. and for where to mount the f16 amount of gauges you'll need to monitor things, i'd pull out the radio and get a single din radio and mount it in the storage cubbyhole under the hvac controls and mount your gauges in your newly opened double din location.

or you could mount them in the vast open unused dash area behind the steering wheel, as if scion meant it to be ;)
Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

and oh, i'd also strongly recommend going with a larger turbo (something i almost never do as i hate lag) as you'll have the sc providing a punch to spool the turbo. i'd look in the gt28rs range for a turbo. it should make good power for you without having to run tons of boost with its effiegency range
Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

watching!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I can't wait to see the numbers on something like this.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, umm.. I don't really have any space left in the dash. Engine's not the only thing getting modded.

I can find a 4pod for the a pillar any will look for the mounting cluster Perrin has that goes behind the steering wheel, or fabricate my own.

This is definately a long-lead time project. I'm hoping to have everything in and tuned by April. Of everything I need to buy, so far I only have the engine, pistons, turbo and supercharger. I still need rods, bearings, gauges, an intercooler and meth injection kit. I'm working with a budget of $400 or so a month, so it's a matter of waiting it out to have enough to purchase everything. I'll be doing all the work myself, so labor is free except for the tune, unless I can get PTuning on as a sponsor.

If anyone wants to see this build come to fruition sooner, feel free to buy my other parts. I'll be selling my Strup header, Weapon-R secret weapon intake, Weapon-R oil catch tank, Weapon-R strut tower bar, Perrin lightweight crank pulley, Weapon-R chrome engine half cover, Perrin / Alta fuel rail, and Greddy billet oil cap. I'm also selling my Wii or willing to trade for a PS3.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't think this has been attempted before in a 1gen xB. I know there's a kit out there for the Mini Cooper. I'm actually suprised since the s/c and turbo bolt right up to each other with no modification required.

Not looking to upgrade the turbo just yet. I'd like to see how the stock kit one handles, though it is pretty tiny. Will be interesting to see how well the supercharger spools it since it's running in a pull configuration. The twincharge applications I've seen use it in a push type before the turbo. The downside to that though is that once the turbo spools up, the supercharger creates drag so a bypass valve and clutch is normally employed to disengage the s/c in the upper RPMs. This setup simplifies all that with the turbo pulling air at atmospheric pressure. The blow-off valve should keep from putting too much boost to the supercharger for what I hope is a well regulated system.

When it's done, this will probably be one of the most unique xB's on the road. Did I mention the bamboo-lined wheelchair ramp?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

ptuning would likely be for looking for more road course performance out of a car for them to sponsor. i'd think outside the box for sponsors for this car. i'd contact gary gilberti at chespeake rehab to see if he'd be interested or a music store or video production company as the mac could def be used to produce video on location or as a dj setup. remember they just need to be able to sell the concept and image, not suggest using a car for that day in-day out.

also for gauage placement, i meant on the dash to the left of the center speedo pod, building them into the dash as mini pods 1/3 to half the size of the speedo pod, each raising above the dash witht he top 1/3rd in similar fashion as the speedo pod, you could fit 4 there before getting to the speaker location
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.autotechinteriors.com/products_epod.php that one might be cheaper then the Perrin gauge cluster for behind the steering wheel... thats the one i have...
Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Yeah, umm.. I don't really have any space left in the dash. Engine's not the only thing getting modded.

I can find a 4pod for the a pillar any will look for the mounting cluster Perrin has that goes behind the steering wheel, or fabricate my own.

This is definately a long-lead time project. I'm hoping to have everything in and tuned by April. Of everything I need to buy, so far I only have the engine, pistons, turbo and supercharger. I still need rods, bearings, gauges, an intercooler and meth injection kit. I'm working with a budget of $400 or so a month, so it's a matter of waiting it out to have enough to purchase everything. I'll be doing all the work myself, so labor is free except for the tune, unless I can get PTuning on as a sponsor.

If anyone wants to see this build come to fruition sooner, feel free to buy my other parts. I'll be selling my Strup header, Weapon-R secret weapon intake, Weapon-R oil catch tank, Weapon-R strut tower bar, Perrin lightweight crank pulley, Weapon-R chrome engine half cover, Perrin / Alta fuel rail, and Greddy billet oil cap. I'm also selling my Wii or willing to trade for a PS3.
how about using the space next to the tacometer for gauges? sould look simple and clean!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks duck, it's not cheaper than the Perrin but is formed for the xB instead of being universal it looks like.

I thought about using the dash space next to the tach but don't want to drill into the dash, so anything put there would need to have a mount box made for it and the dash curves can be a pain to match without having gaps. Might give it a try anyway, paint it wrinkle black to match the computer housing.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

i'd give it a try, contact evan @ 42 designs (he's local) if you have any issues with design or excution of the idea gauge-wise
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I'm going to send Alta a PM on the Mini Cooper forums. They make a turbo kit for supercharged Mini Cooper S's to make them twincharged. I know the Mini uses an Eaton MP45 like the Greddy kit, but I don't know how it's configured. I just want a confirmation from Alta if the supercharger is direct drive and always engaged throughout the RPM band or if the bypass valve is used to divert air in the upper end for all turbo performance.

I'd like to mirror their setup as much as possible since they've already proven the design. The Mini has an aftercooler between the s/c and engine, something I don't have the luxury of, so I'll be substituting methanol injection for that component. I'll still run an intercooler between the turbo and supercharger. I'll have a Perrin / Alta fuel rail on the final configuration if they want to classify it as a support call for one of their products.

The other unknown I have is on the BOV vacuum line. I have a Turbo XS that came pre-modified on the kit I bought. Their instructions are to run the vacuum hose on the top of it from the BOV to the intake manifold after the throttle body. What I don't know is if I should put it between the throttly body and supercharger or after the supercharger. Right now I'm thinking before to treat the supercharger and turbo as seperate, independant subsystems. If you treat the supercharger as a seperate functional subsystem, the interface between it and the turbo subsystem is where the blower intake goes to the throttle body.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow... i'm watching this...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
I was going to order from Paul @ Dezod. Haven't heard of Eloy, is he on ScionLife or does he have an online store?

I've got an auto trans as well, can't do too much besides throw on an oil cooler.
Yes he is here on the forums, He is from Race Precision
Old 08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks, I'll send him a PM, but judging from the Race Precision forums, I don't think they'll have cheaper rods. The forums were quoting from Rp $650 for pistons, rings and pins but $1800 for pistons and rods. I'd guess that equates to a $1150 rod set. Paul has Crower onses for around $700. I would think for the price the RP ones may be better, but I don't need a 600 HP rod when I'll only be pushing 160 to the wheels, and assuming a 30% tran loss, 230 at the crank.

I'm an engineer, albeit electrical, and we have a saying. "Better is the enemy of good enough". The hard part is defining what's "good enough", once you do that the design work is easy.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NP I got lucky when I got mine from him and he had an extra set. I'm all set for the 600 HP if need be, She still runs like a scalded dog lol. I'm only putting down 142.02 HP with 154.29 torque. and yes 30% loss from the tranny. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, RP did work with me and got a price close to what Crower is selling for, though still a little higher. I'm wondering if it's worth spending a little more for probably a better rod or if the Crower can get the job done, it'll probably come down to if I can spare the extra cash.

Also got a reply from Jeff Perrin from Alta. He confirmed that the turbo kit they make for the mini cooper is pretty much the same as what I'll be doing with the Greddy. The Mini s/c is always spinning, and the air does not get bypassed in the upper RPM's. The main difference is they have an aftercooler between the s/c and manifold, where I'm dumping straight in.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

i'd drop the few extra bucks on the better bottom end hardware. esp because in 2-3 years you will decide to want to crank up the powwaaaa. because after a few years you'll decide you want to and you have the components there to do it, so eventually you will.

that's really cool news from jeff. i knew the 53's always kept their sc spinning. you might want to keep detials notes on production sizes and pieces that you need to have fabbed to be able to market and sell a conversion kit, i know several vendors that would carry it if you wouldnt want to mess with selling it directly.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by captdownshift
You might want to keep detials notes on production sizes and pieces that you need to have fabbed to be able to market and sell a conversion kit, i know several vendors that would carry it if you wouldnt want to mess with selling it directly.
Huh, I don't quite follow. I'm just a guy putting a motor together in his backyard shed. The only fabrication I'll be doing is making a new heat shield to replace the one that got lost when the Greddy turbo was pulled off of the other xB (don't know the shop that did it but they didn't seem to be familiar with the kit, wasn't PTuning). I also need to order new couplers from Samco, the uninstaller forgot to put in the two straight couplers as well. I'll end up swapping all of them out as the Greddy couplers to get rid of any blue in the engine bay. If the kit wasnew, the downpipe flange would also need to be rotated and rewelded, for some reason the flange doesn't line up with the bolt holes as is.

One of the main reasons I'm even attempting this project is that, either by design or chance, the Greddy turbo and supercharger kits happen to line up and bolt directly together without the need for modification. I'll be happy to provide instructions and a parts list if anyone else wants to do this, though it is cheaper and easier to go all-turbo. I'm doing the project because I already had the supercharger, wanted more power for built internals, and found a really good price on the used turbo. I'm hoping the intercooler will fit as easily.

Quick Reply: Coming Soon! - Twincharged xB (w/ pics)