Notices

Coming Soon! - Twincharged xB (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

i mean a parts list of any and all non-greddy kit parts used, and any info on engine management and what system you end up using for that. PTuning doesnt seem to think that 170-180hp is an issue to get out of the greedy turbo kit with tc injectors and a tune for reference on a stock bottom end, so dont be too surprised if you are in the 180 range with no lag at all and nice torque.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for clearing it up, I'll post a parts list when finished. Right now I still plan on using the eManage blue that came with the supercharger, so I've got an extra and an 04-05 harness from the turbo kit. Since the person I got it from lost two of the coupler hoses, I'll be buying all new ones in black from Samco, not sure why Greddy decided on purple as their team color but it does not work with my car's color scheme (or lack of color, being all black and silver). The Turbo XS BOV was also added custom by the previous owner.

I'm assuming PTuning added a manual or electronic boost controller to get those number, I don't see it happening on the stock 5 psi. If I can make 150 at the wheels I'll be more than happy.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I really hope thos high compression pistons wont be an issue. But i must say if you pull this off you WILL get more than 160WHP, gauranteed. It all depends how much boost your pushing from the turbo and the charger combined...
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think with the methanol it should be enough to stave off detonation at the pressures I'm running. Blown_xA is running 9 or 11 psi on his with stock 10.5:1 internals w/ meth, so I should be fine at 12-13. If I want to go higher, I can always add a boost controller later and pick up a second piston set down the road, I'm just trying not to kill driveability.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Was going to take it to PTuning, though they don't know that yet. Hope they can handle it on blue or I'll need to upgrade to ultimate. Not sure how difficult it will be, s/c and turbo both have mechanically-controlled boost levels so their shouldn't be much variance between pulls, and in a serial configuration it's a straight shot through. I'm debating dual boost gauges though, one post-turbo and one for the intake manifold. wideband O2 will be a must as well. I've only got a 2-gauge pod though, looks like I'll need at least 4, boost, boost, AF/R, oil pressure. I'd like engine temp and trans oil temp as well, but not sur how to fit in 6 without making it look ricey, even though they would all serve a purpose and give early warning if something messes up.

ITB's are pretty much an impossibility you realize, they're normally done for n/a. I'd have to move the throttle to AFTER the supercharger, and if you look at the cast manifold, there's not much room there. I'm not sure it would even be possible on a boosted application since there would be a shared intake plenum anyway from the s/c.
This is how i set up 6 gauges, without the rice affect. I put boost and oil pressure on top, then oil and water temp on the console, then the EGT in the "easy bake oven" along with the camcon, boost controller and turbo timer.

The wide-band read out is ont he console, but ive moved that to the top because its easier to read up there.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, the oven is out since my head unit currently occupies that space. I'll probably build a box to sit to the right of the speedo, it should house at least 4. The others I'll throw in the A pillar, probably total boost and AF/R.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is one friggin awesome event.. vettereddie.. I mean, geez man.. wow
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks man, I'd post more pictures but they'd be more of the same until the block starts getting torn down. I'll be ordering rods next week and am looking to send the pistons out to be coated. I'm trying to find somewhere cheaper than Swain, they want $200 but don't really know who's good and who's not. Swain does the head with a thermal barrier and the sidewall with a dry lubricant, haven't found too many others that do both.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Go with what you know bro!!
I think your going to pull bigger numbers than predicted.. I vote 185-190WHP

lol.. I could stare at the pics all day anyway :p
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Wow this could really be interesting....
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
SL Member

Default For reference

I think my TC is setup the same way as what your trying. My turbo pressurized pipe feeds the S/C intake and then goes to an Intercooler which then goes to the TB. No bypass valve installed to cancel out the S/C in high rpms. Which I think is why it was limited to 300hp. (besides the clutch) Blow off Valve is between IC and TB.

Flaws on mine....I think the huge turbo just puts out to much pressure to fast even though they are both currently regulated at 7 psi. In theory Im thinking of doing the 9.5 psi pulley for the S/C and that should help move the air better since the S/C will require more flow at a lower rpm thus overall help with drive ability. Just a thought.

Anyways, the only hassle is trying to keep temps down while living in AZ. ( 160 Thermo, Mishismoto Rad, vented hood, ect.) So make sure you put a lot of consideration into cooling .

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for updates
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Update: The Supercharger got sold, now ALL turbo.

This project isn't happening. After some discussion with Eaton and going over the tech data, it became apparent that this particular setup on the xB would run a possible risk of compressor failure.

Simply put, the incoming pre-pressurized air would be at elevated temperature. The compressor rotor lobes are metal and do undergo thermal expansion. If the intake temp is too high, they will expand out of tolerance and hit instead of mesh, locking the compressor. Also, methanol can not be injected pre-s/c to cool the rotors because it could displace the oil in the sealed bearings and dry them out, damaging the compressor shaft. Elevated temperature could also de-laminate the anti-friction coating on the lobes, creating a FOD issue in the compressor, or worse, get pulled into the cylinder.

The mini cooper actually swaps out pulleys to de-rate the s/c with the addition of a turbo. I have a feeling the above failure mode is why and not over-pressurization of the block.

The new build will be a simple turbo setup. The moter is being built prior to install. The final configuration will be:

- Wiseco 10:1 pistons 75.5mm bore (coated w/ thermal barrier top & dry-lube sideskirt)
- Crower rods
- Toga HP bearings
- ported / polished head and turbo manifold
- Greddy turbo kit
- Greddy front-mount intercooler
- Turbo XS manual boost controller
- Turbo XS RFL BOV
- Greddy turbo timer
- eManage blue
- AEM UEGO wideband O2
- boost gauge (mfgr TBD)
- water temp guage (mfgr tbd)
- oil pressure gauge (mfgr tbd)
- tC injectors

I currently have the spare motor, pistons, and turbo kit. I need the rods and bearings still. First, I will install the turbo at factory boost pressure to make sure it works. Later I will add the intercooler and boost controller
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Hey. off topic. i pm'd you bout the Alta rail. any news?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This project isn't happening. After some discussion with Eaton and going over the tech data, it became apparent that this particular setup on the xB would run a possible risk of compressor failure.

Simply put, the incoming pre-pressurized air would be at elevated temperature. The compressor rotor lobes are metal and do undergo thermal expansion. If the intake temp is too high, they will expand out of tolerance and hit instead of mesh, locking the compressor. Also, methanol can not be injected pre-s/c to cool the rotors because it could displace the oil in the sealed bearings and dry them out, damaging the compressor shaft. Elevated temperature could also de-laminate the anti-friction coating on the lobes, creating a FOD issue in the compressor, or worse, get pulled into the cylinder.

The mini cooper actually swaps out pulleys to de-rate the s/c with the addition of a turbo. I have a feeling the above failure mode is why and not over-pressurization of the block.

The new build will be a simple turbo setup. The moter is being built prior to install. The final configuration will be:

- Wiseco 10:1 pistons 75.5mm bore (coated w/ thermal barrier top & dry-lube sideskirt)
- Crower rods
- Toga HP bearings
- Greddy turbo kit
- Turbo XS RFL BOV
- Greddy turbo timer
- eManage blue
- AEM UEGO wideband O2
- boost gauge (mfgr TBD)
- tC injectors

I currently have the spare motor, pistons, and turbo kit. I need the rods and bearings still. First, I will install the turbo at factory boost pressure to make sure it works. Later I will add the intercooler and boost controller
Man... I was hoping for a first in a Gen 1 xB... oh well... Turbo should give a good amount of kick.. sounds like you really thought this thru... good luck with the rest of the build... can you send me pics after your done scionmag@gmail.com would love to do a feature of your ride...
Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sick...can't wait till it's done!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionmag

- Crower rods
- Toga HP bearings
- Greddy turbo kit
- Turbo XS RFL BOV
- Greddy turbo timer
- eManage blue
- AEM UEGO wideband O2
- boost gauge (mfgr TBD)
- tC injectors

Man... I was hoping for a first in a Gen 1 xB... oh well... Turbo should give a good amount of kick.. sounds like you really thought this thru... good luck with the rest of the build... can you send me pics after your done scionmag@gmail.com would love to do a feature of your ride...
Man wish I could have gotten a feature on myxB before I put it back to a stock oem engine, but for some reason i just can't catch a break all the shows,cruiseins and so forth for some reason just hasn't paid off for me LOL well I guess my little box is like Rodney Dangerfield if jut don't get no respect LOL.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

- Crower rods
- Toga HP bearings
- Greddy turbo kit
- Turbo XS RFL BOV
- Greddy turbo timer
- eManage blue
- AEM UEGO wideband O2
- boost gauge (mfgr TBD)
- tC injectors

If you're interested I'm getting rid of my boosted engine and everything assosiated with it listed below for $1500, my B is at the bodyshop right now but early next week it's going to my tuner to put an oem engine back in.

Engine:
Greddy Turbo Charger,
Greddy E-Manage, Blue
Greddy BOV,
Greddy Boost Controller. Profec B Spec2
Greddy Intercooler.
Custom Ram Air Intake by (Performance Theory Mortorsports-Columbus Ohio)
Carrillo Rods
CP Pistons 9:5 to 1 Comp Ratio.
Catch Can by(PTM).
3 Angle valve job on head.
Ported and Polished head.
Engine Balanced and Blueprinted
TC Injectors
Transmission Oil Cooler.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I really wish you would have gotten in touch with me sooner. I've already ordered and paid for parts, my block is currently completely torn down and the head is already out for work.

Hell of a good price on it, but with what I've already bought I don't have an extra $1500 at the moment and am not sure I'd be able to sell all the parts I was going to use for the engine build.

Just curious, with all the time and money you put in your build why are you selling it now?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too much up keep I'm always doing something too it. Make sure you put insulation around your oil return line and ac line I had mine rub through my ac line although it wasn't hard to replace still $300 bucks. The blue e-manage sucks and for some reason won't hold a tune my next option will be a stand alone and I just don't want to p=spend another $2000 besides my daughter has been eyeing my box and will be driving soon lol. I also have a KOYO radiator that's only been in for a month about 300 miles worth of coolant run through it I'll be selling for around $175 with samco sport hoses still new in the pack.

Quick Reply: Coming Soon! - Twincharged xB (w/ pics)