Notices

Disabled Bypass Valve on GReddy SC...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That high pitch "whitsle" is air. Perin - Alta makes a CAI for the Mini that some users think is too loud & the whitsle is anyoning. Others like the sound. Since the inlet uses the air vent at the base of the windshield, without restriction, the induction noise is quite loud ( not something I want to hear inside the car ). From the outside you can easily identify, it's a blower motor..........
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WAS talking to EasysBox. There is nothing wrong with experimenting but if you have no idea why the bypass is there in the first place and it's actual fucntion then you shouldn't be messing with it.

It's your car, your motor, your blower... which happens to spin at Y rpm for X rpm on the motor... at all times, forever, even after the cows come home watching pigs fly in a frozen hell.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoogieQ
I WAS talking to EasysBox. There is nothing wrong with experimenting but if you have no idea why the bypass is there in the first place and it's actual fucntion then you shouldn't be messing with it.

It's your car, your motor, your blower... which happens to spin at Y rpm for X rpm on the motor... at all times, forever, even after the cows come home watching pigs fly in a frozen hell.
you have no idea what you are talking about when talking about me... read some of my threads, or read them all the way through, i do know what the bypass is for, i do know that it does not affect blower speed, i have even argued against some who thought otherwise... it is people like you why i can only come to this site every other week, i get burned out on negative people hell bent on burning other people... like the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice, don't say anything at all, negative pessimistic people are a drag...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

steve, so what your pretty much saying is there is no way to get rid of the whistle without using a factory intake... maybe it is just a 4 banger thing, my L67 (3.8SC) in my Grand Prix never made that sound, even after a CAI and a smaller pulley, thats why i was thinking maybe it was because of so much air traveling through a small and partially closed TB... but yeah, i love the whine of the blower, but the whistle is kinda annoying...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"so what your pretty much saying is there is no way to get rid of the whistle without using a factory intake... " No. It is the design of the CAI, The bends, filter, vent tube placement, MAF placement or a combonation of all that make the whitsle. You could try removing the filter as an experiment & see - hear..... The whistle is always there, my cat can hear it, but I can't, not in the XB. It's not a 4 banger thing
The Mini is a different story, not too audible inside the car, outside it realy sounds good... with the screaming blower. The Mini has a K&N Typhoon with a filter that I used on 1 of the shifter karts. The SC XB has an Injen, the NA has an AEM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm, curious, i guess some experimentation is in order... i am running the injen short ram...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not have the SRI. That could be the difference....
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the TRD CAI, and can't detect a whistle from it. The CAI was put on months before the blower. After the blower was installed, I do hear a whine when the RPM's go up. Of course, I can't hear much of anything with the exhaust silencer out; due to my setup I only had room for a Flowmaster hushpower straigh-through muffler and no resonator, the muffler is mounted mid body since there's only a 4x10" space behind the axle that's useable.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm, sounds like i need to get a full CAI and not a short ram, i was wondering if the extra tubing would help drown the whistle....
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There may not be any audible whistle with a full CAI. The TRD is longer yet, might be lthe longest CAI ever. Like I said my cat can hear it...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that'll be my next project, right now i am working on fabbing up my own fiberglass grill with eyelids incorporated into it... maybe next week...