Notices

Fastest 1NZ-FE Scion xA (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Jeebus... I have to ask, and if it's rude or you don't want to answer it's totally cool, but I have to know... about how many hours of work have gone into this, and any idea of a ballpark for money?

Just want to get an idea of what would be involved in doing anything even close to that. I'm just up the road from PTuning at work and have been fighting to not go there as I know my wallet would just get decimated.
Well because nobody produces a high output turbo kit, or 3'' exhaust... labor adds up to make magic happen for the 1nzfe. However, the heart of my car is the Ptuning Spec ss 1nzfe shortblock along with the Ptuning 1nzfe turbo manifold ... which are available right off of our website.

I forgot to post timeslip....

Fastest 1NZ-FE Scion xA (Video)-03132011-003.jpg
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

if you guys ever need anybody to "hang on" to one of those manifolds for safekeeping just let me know....lol
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

or if you need me to "hold on" to megan fox let me know....bwhahahaaaa
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbgod
Well I can tell you to get 375hp @ 23 psi to work well and be reliable as well as look good will cost you about: 18K

And thats just for under the hood.
As much as that is a nutty amount of money, and I'd be killed for spending that on our box, that engine gives me a chubbie.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Well because nobody produces a high output turbo kit, or 3'' exhaust... labor adds up to make magic happen for the 1nzfe. However, the heart of my car is the Ptuning Spec ss 1nzfe shortblock along with the Ptuning 1nzfe turbo manifold ... which are available right off of our website.
What he meant to say is PTuning ..... ..... PTuning .... ... PTuning. There's other routes to take, depending on your experience, access to the right tooling, engine shop locality and tolerance for making our own mistakes and having to fix them. If you don't have the time or facilities for DIY, then they're definately a good option.

Wish I made the trip out to MIR on Sunday to see this. Sorry about the axle, but as a friend of mine says, if you don't break something, it ain't racing.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found a good photo.

Fastest 1NZ-FE Scion xA (Video)-192230_10150155773797792_506987791_8075127_8137429_o.jpg
Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update ... I went to the local 1/8 mile track wednesday evening to make sure my car was still up to par. I trapped 87.5 mph , matching what I ran in March.

Today we put my car on the dyno and baseline number was 255whp. It was 90.6 degrees in the dyno, plus my car was running slightly less boost compared to the previous tune last winter (286whp). Good news is, the 12.6 run was done at 255whp .

We tuned my car for 27psi, end result was 301whp. I thought my car was wicked before... now it is just plain stupid fast.

Bad news is.. I have to spend some more money and run a upgraded radiator along with an oil cooler setup. My water temperature was reaching 214 degrees by the end of the dyno pull, which I confirmed on the street. Before I even think about running on a roadcoarse again , I need to upgrade. I guess that can be expected when one exceeds factory whp 3.5x over...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned
SL Member

Continue with that boost and HP and you'll be on your way to a sleeved block. Welcome to the 300 club.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Continue with that boost and HP and you'll be on your way to a sleeved block. Welcome to the 300 club.
The thought of needing a sleeved block, hasn't really crossed my mind as we have brought the tC past 600hp not sleeving. I have encountered more issues with sleeved blocks, so I prefer the realiable route ( from my experience ). So far, my leakdown after 30,000 miles of abuse is excellent showing no sign of cylinder wall distortion.

My worry is blowing a headgaskit. So far,so good.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well your just now starting to push the envelope of that line between just right and to much. The walls are thin on that block and under heavy boost your bound to get piston walk. I don't know who's sleeved blocks you've delt with but the ones done at Golden Eagle or AEBS are worry free, especially since final hone is done at their facility. I've never experienced a problem with a sleeved block, I have however experienced blown blocks from lots of constant boost, 25 psi and higher. And you can't really compare the Tc block with the 1st gen XB block.

Also having a bored out 1nz-fe block allows you to go to a 77.5mm bore instead of the standard 75mm bore. Hince more power.

You'll be ok for a little while but any real engine builder is gonna tell you your riding the line.

Good luck, your making good numbers.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

we started riding the line well before now and it has held fine. honda owners sleeve blocks all the time and they all seem to fall. in all honesty im not sure why youre so concerned because i havent seen a picture, video, or time slip from one of your runs. lol.
not to mention ive been at around 25psi for over a year now. and i dog the ____ outta my car. leak down (as justin will tell ya) is perfect. so....? not to mention i trust the professionals at ptuning more than anybody on this planet. top of the line equipment and pure geniuses at ptuning
Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned
SL Member

I've posted pics and dyno slips of my stuff, where you been? All i'm saying is your riding that fine line. And come on, the guys that push the limits to the end, run sleeved block. Bisimoto????????? and thats just one honda guy, one of the best I might add. And I'm sure Ptuning does a great job, never questioned their work. But as far as tuning genisus goes, Chrispeed is Haltechs number one tuner,it gets no better than him.

Everyone has a way they like to do things and thats great but I've never seen a sleeved block fail. That must be some back yard mechanic $hit. Almost every high horse power hitting car that I've encountered is sleeved. Titian?, Chris Rado, Stephan Papadakis, Tanner foust, Scranton, Kenny Tran and the list goes on.

It's just good insurance and piece of mind. If you feel you don't need to do it and your happy than leave it alone. But unless you got some personal experience with a sleeved block failing than you can't say they don't work or are not worth the investment.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member

I said TIME slip. And video of a RUN down the track. Every supra, skyline, and mustang is a dyno *****. I wanna know if you can race. Over and over and over again then use your car as a daily driver and see if those sleeves don't start dropping. I see your hp claims. I wanna see if it will beat a car with seriously less power than yours.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Per Justin request, here are some pictures of his setup:

Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't see enough vacuum lines. Also, how the heck did he get all that work done and not scratch the factory intake manifold? Mine looks like it had a run-in with an ex-girlfriend with a fist-full of keys.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've posted pics and dyno slips of my stuff, where you been? All i'm saying is your riding that fine line. And come on, the guys that push the limits to the end, run sleeved block. Bisimoto????????? and thats just one honda guy, one of the best I might add. And I'm sure Ptuning does a great job, never questioned their work. But as far as tuning genisus goes, Chrispeed is Haltechs number one tuner,it gets no better than him.

Everyone has a way they like to do things and thats great but I've never seen a sleeved block fail. That must be some back yard mechanic $hit. Almost every high horse power hitting car that I've encountered is sleeved. Titian?, Chris Rado, Stephan Papadakis, Tanner foust, Scranton, Kenny Tran and the list goes on.

It's just good insurance and piece of mind. If you feel you don't need to do it and your happy than leave it alone. But unless you got some personal experience with a sleeved block failing than you can't say they don't work or are not worth the investment.
A sleeved block for a 1nzfe, is overkill really. I have been though some motors, snapped rods in half.. while factory sleeving remains in tact. Any part of the block which is not part of the factory casting, can and will eventually shift/move/ drop. I have built many motors now, dealt with other companies sleeved blocks... and feel it is an option which is more suited for drag/ low mileage setup.

As far as tuning, I must tell you that Ptuning has the most experience in tuning Haltec on Scions. In fact, Im willing to bet your tuner will have to call Haltec for a basemap to even start your car. The crank voltage, trigger settings , trigger filter settings , other unknowns for getting a Scion running were all developed on our dyno as Haltec came to Ptuning to figure it all out. In return they sponsered us for a race season.
Of coarse there are ways around figuring out those unknown values for creating a map to start a car... but that includes creating a whole new engine harness, coils,sensors, crank trigger external wheel ( ghetto ) . At tis point, you might as well have bought an all out race car... because your air conditioning won't work, along with your gauges. Not to mention, emissions will now be impossible to pass with a custom harness.
It is nice to be able to simply unplug the Haltec and plug in a emanage to pass emissions ( using p&p harness ). Haltec dash, I have considered, however I don't need it.

I have learned over the years that so much $ can be wasted on abtaining horsepower goals after observing many set ups come across our dyno. An example ; a great turbo kit design with a good turbo manifold, downpipe,exhaust (3'') will produce awsome numbers. Compare to a setup with say a built head with $3000 poured into it, but with a log manifold and 2.5'' dp and exhaust.... customer scratch head wondering why it took 3psi more to produce same power as previously mentioned setup.

I enjoy working where I do because I get to learn and witness things like that on a daily basis. From my personal experience, I put $ into my car where it is needed. And from those experiences I can really help customers out pointing them in the proper direction on the goals they have in mind... without throwing away $.

Last edited by blown_xa; 07-07-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

Lots of good points made. And for me it's always about finding and manufacturing that next race part. Some people like to just do a little to get to where they want to go but I want to pour it all out.

My personal set up is all race and purpose built and yes is a fair weather car. So conditions for me are different. If I don't like the weather or conditions it stays parked and I take the truck.

As far as emissions go, yeah... I live in Florida we have no emissions. I would never consider living in a place like CA. To many rules and regulation and not just on cars. So I can build and do what I ever I want without the fear of passing some ___ emissions bull-crap and the state robbing me of more money.

I'm sure you guys do a great job at Ptuning. Chrispeed just happens to be Haltechs #1 guy for tuning. He's already done complete wiring harness for the XB, tc as well as just did the new Genissis for Hyundai. Check him out he tunes mainly at AWD motorsports in Fl. Does alot of Porsche, Ferrari, Evo stuff. He's known for exotic builds. He been with Haltech for 10 years, does all the wiring himself.

And like your above mentioning, I've done the 4,000 dollar head build with Jun performance and have been using Tom Fujita at Port Flow Designs. So with me it's all about pushing the envelope.

We all got good ideas I just like to put all mine in to production.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ok, here's what were gonna due. Were gonna put the skepticism to rest.

Justin the car is coming to you guys at Ptuning. I'll finish putting in the new motor and turbo and LSD and then it's going on my trailer to you guys. Andrew seemed cool with it so let's do it. You get to put all my new parts to the test. I'll bring the platinum1000 and the new Haltech CDI system. You get the best of everything.

I'll drop it off and you guys get all the time you need to make 500hp. Or something damn close.

You can even run it down the track, shoot video what ever you want to do. I got lots of time to play. So let's see what we can do together.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, here's what were gonna due. Were gonna put the skepticism to rest.

Justin the car is coming to you guys at Ptuning. I'll finish putting in the new motor and turbo and LSD and then it's going on my trailer to you guys. Andrew seemed cool with it so let's do it. You get to put all my new parts to the test. I'll bring the platinum1000 and the new Haltech CDI system. You get the best of everything.

I'll drop it off and you guys get all the time you need to make 500hp. Or something damn close.

You can even run it down the track, shoot video what ever you want to do. I got lots of time to play. So let's see what we can do together.
Sounds good. Only thing I would recommend on you current parts list to upgrade in order to have a chance reaching 500whp.. is fueling. 900-1000cc injectors, along with an external fuel pump along with your existing in tank. As far as the Haltec ignition system, it isnt really needed from what I have seen, as the Toyota ignition coils are really efficient. In fact, most high horsepower Evo guys upgradee to Scion xB coils (not knowing they came from a Scion xB ) LOL. However I will look into that module.

We most likely have the injectors you need in stock, just ask Andrew if you need them.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

I was already figuring on the injector upgrade, I'll get with you on it. I'll get a Weldon pump no problem.

Also I already have the HD4 CDI ignition from Haltech with the coil packs. I like to be different. Also got the Nology Hot wires to go with it.

Were about 60 days out from what I can tell. I also got the exhaust manifold and down pipe going to Swain coatings so I have a few odds and inn's to get done.

I'm (were) going for the most HP making 1NZ-FE on the planet. I'll bring you the best of eveything, or damn close. You think of anything else we need call me.

Quick Reply: Fastest 1NZ-FE Scion xA (Video)