Notices

Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2

Most of you saw my numbers from the first dyno session. I lost some 19wtq which was dissapointing but the hp numbers are much better from the 116whp.

Here are the specs:

-Greddy bolt on turbo kit
-stock modified intake
-stock injectors
-stock fuel pump
-stock fuel rail

AFR for this dyno was 12.9:1

-Magnaflow catback exhaust (one of the true catbacks available)
-0.5 bar of boost

Emange tuning

141.80whp / 130.34wtq

Overall I am happy with the results. It proves that you dont need to throw a TON of parts in there to make the power. It just takes some patience and tuning. I'll be putting in a high flow cat then dynoing again. Dyno was done on our Dynojet 224x dynometer.
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright glad to see you got your numbers up and im sure your gonna keep trying to move them higher. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
Alright glad to see you got your numbers up and im sure your gonna keep trying to move them higher. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! Im curious to how the ECU will respond to the new map I put on Emanage. I know from before that the ECU will allow the changes for a couple of days then start to act funny. I'll know more in a week or two.
Old 06-20-2006 | 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Thanks! Im curious to how the ECU will respond to the new map I put on Emanage. I know from before that the ECU will allow the changes for a couple of days then start to act funny. I'll know more in a week or two.
Darn Scion ECU's. If this wasn't your somewhat DD, i'd say it might be time for a standalone ECU for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about it resetting or learning on you. But keep us updated .
Old 06-20-2006 | 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Darn Scion ECU's. If this wasn't your somewhat DD, i'd say it might be time for a standalone ECU for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about it resetting or learning on you. But keep us updated .
Well, my car was throwing the CEL about every 2 hours of driving. I mapped my current settings Saturday morning. So far so good. I am pretty sure the CEL was throwing a lean code.
Old 06-22-2006 | 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck on the project and props on the work done
Old 06-22-2006 | 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

12.9 afr sound like its way to lean.. SHouldnt you keep it at least in the 11.8-12.0afr to be safer?
Old 06-24-2006 | 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

So even with the emanage the ECU still tries to adjust? I had an apexi safc II and that thing didn't cut it against the xb's ECU , I'm glad I went with a haltech even though it cost more...hopefully since the haltech is stand-alone, I shouldn't have a problem...hated unplugging the EFI fuse...it was embarrassing!
Old 06-25-2006 | 11:32 PM
5 Year Member

12.9 is pretty lean. We usually tune conservative in the 11.5 range. The ecu you get from Greddy can not be adjusted without erasing the whole program and starting from scratch.
Old 06-30-2006 | 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Hey rollhard, I'm at 135 hp with the default boost setting on the Greddy Turbo Kit. I thought it would be a bit higher though since I do have an intercooler, upgraded fuel system, and stand alone ecu. Do you know if the default boost is set at 5 or 6 psi? My tuning shop said it was set at 5psi. But I'd like to get it up as high as I can while keeping it within what the pistons and other engine components can manage, only thing is, I guess if I increase the psi, I have to also retune it too, which isn't cheap. Still 135hp is still loads of fun!

p.s. I forgot to mention that since I'm in Texas, and it's blistering hot over here, I'm guessing that will effect the max hp. The weather here is at least in the mid-90s! I miss California!
Old 06-30-2006 | 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chorobe
Hey rollhard, I'm at 135 hp with the default boost setting on the Greddy Turbo Kit. I thought it would be a bit higher though since I do have an intercooler, upgraded fuel system, and stand alone ecu. Do you know if the default boost is set at 5 or 6 psi? My tuning shop said it was set at 5psi. But I'd like to get it up as high as I can while keeping it within what the pistons and other engine components can manage, only thing is, I guess if I increase the psi, I have to also retune it too, which isn't cheap. Still 135hp is still loads of fun!

p.s. I forgot to mention that since I'm in Texas, and it's blistering hot over here, I'm guessing that will effect the max hp. The weather here is at least in the mid-90s! I miss California!
Its easier for someone who drives the xb daily to tune the xb. Taking the car to a tuner, they can only tune it to what information they are getting from the dyno, etc at that moment. My car is stock besides these mods: http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=147#147
Going with larger or better flowing fuel components wont give you more power unless you turn the boost up. I suggest you get a boost gauge too so you will know how much boost you are running all the time. The preset boost is about .5 bar or around 6.5-7psi. Atleast, that is what I am getting without adjusting the boost actuator on the greddy turbo.
Old 06-30-2006 | 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

I do have a boost gauge, I'll keep an eye on it to see where it maxes.
Old 06-30-2006 | 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have a boost gauge, I'll keep an eye on it to see where it maxes.
Yeah, since the boost is not controlled eclectronicly, it only goes by the actuator pressure. The actuator rod may not be the same EXACT setting on all the turbo kits so Im sure they are all close enough to run anywhere from 5.5-7psi though.
Old 06-30-2006 | 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Yeah, since the boost is not controlled eclectronicly, it only goes by the actuator pressure. The actuator rod may not be the same EXACT setting on all the turbo kits so Im sure they are all close enough to run anywhere from 5.5-7psi though.
The tuning shop said I'm looking at around $400 for a boost controller and installing it. I may look into doing that later, right now I guess I'll have to get a better feel for the car by driving it and such. Also, the tuning shop said the same thing about things they may have missed because the car is not a daily driver for them. So I am going to write a list of "problems" so they can take care of it. I already had one problem where I was waiting for food at a fast food drive-thru lane and my AC was on, the car suddenly died. I had to try a couple times before I could get it started again. It was weird...during stop lights it was fine at idle. So that's one thing I have to mention to them.
Old 06-30-2006 | 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Rollhard, when I drove my car today, I noticed the maximum boost was about 6 psi on mine. I wonder what kind of power I would be looking at if I increased that to 8-9psi?
Old 07-03-2006 | 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been reading alot of mini cooper forums lately just for fun and alot of the british guys are swapping our engines into the old mini coopers but what I found relevant was the fact that with standalone engine management which they didn't say which brand they were using they have been pushing 14 pounds to the stock internals with no problems. and It seems sensible that since alot of the 1.6 liter honda guys are pushing boost in this range and their internals are not forged that the 1NZ-FE engine should be able to handle it. my main concern would be the head gasket which you can buy an upgraded one online. I think emanage is what is limiting the potential on the cars when I do mine I am going to talk to the mini cooper guys and find out what standalone they are using because they are really putting down some impressive whp numbers. the top guy I read a post changed the pistons and connecting rods and is slamming 20 pounds to the engine and it has held together for 63,000 miles. I know this is very extreme but they are making well over 200whp so I'm thinking emanage has to be the reason everyone is getting stuck around the 140 range. The other problem to standolones is most of them aren't street legal so what do I know but I just thought I would throw out what I read thought it might help.
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt mind a standalone if it had ABS for my car haha having no trac and no stability is fine with me just give me my ABS..........could you provide a link for us or something to atleast have some proof of what you are saying..........not tryin to say that your lyin or anything but we need some kind of evidence of this..........
Old 07-03-2006 | 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tuning shop said I'm looking at around $400 for a boost controller and installing it. I may look into doing that later, right now I guess I'll have to get a better feel for the car by driving it and such. Also, the tuning shop said the same thing about things they may have missed because the car is not a daily driver for them. So I am going to write a list of "problems" so they can take care of it. I already had one problem where I was waiting for food at a fast food drive-thru lane and my AC was on, the car suddenly died. I had to try a couple times before I could get it started again. It was weird...during stop lights it was fine at idle. So that's one thing I have to mention to them.
$400???? I hope its an electronic one. Otherwise, find yourself another shop to go to. Those guys are crooks! We charged a guy with an xb here $150 installed for a manual boost controller. If you were in a fast food lane, and your base idle is too low, when your AC compressor kicks on, your car will die.

Rollhard, when I drove my car today, I noticed the maximum boost was about 6 psi on mine. I wonder what kind of power I would be looking at if I increased that to 8-9psi?
Make sure your fuel settings, etc is tuned and set right for the extra boost.

Originally Posted by ghostrider25
I've been reading alot of mini cooper forums lately just for fun and alot of the british guys are swapping our engines into the old mini coopers but what I found relevant was the fact that with standalone engine management which they didn't say which brand they were using they have been pushing 14 pounds to the stock internals with no problems. and It seems sensible that since alot of the 1.6 liter honda guys are pushing boost in this range and their internals are not forged that the 1NZ-FE engine should be able to handle it. my main concern would be the head gasket which you can buy an upgraded one online. I think emanage is what is limiting the potential on the cars when I do mine I am going to talk to the mini cooper guys and find out what standalone they are using because they are really putting down some impressive whp numbers. the top guy I read a post changed the pistons and connecting rods and is slamming 20 pounds to the engine and it has held together for 63,000 miles. I know this is very extreme but they are making well over 200whp so I'm thinking emanage has to be the reason everyone is getting stuck around the 140 range. The other problem to standolones is most of them aren't street legal so what do I know but I just thought I would throw out what I read thought it might help.
nobody will know for sure until we start blowing engines. Another guy has tried 12-13psi which blew his motor. We know our engines cant handle that much boost.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2