Notices

Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Oh yeah, rollhard, it is for an electronic one, not the manual dial type. They did tell me that if I increase the boost, I have to retune the car for that boost.

As far as blowing engines, I heard that having a return fuel line will help with that. Even so, since our engines use high compression ratios we probably can't boost our cars like those cars with lower compression engines...ie. the wrx.
Old 07-03-2006 | 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chorobe
Oh yeah, rollhard, it is for an electronic one, not the manual dial type. They did tell me that if I increase the boost, I have to retune the car for that boost.

As far as blowing engines, I heard that having a return fuel line will help with that. Even so, since our engines use high compression ratios we probably can't boost our cars like those cars with lower compression engines...ie. the wrx.
A return fuel line wont do anything but make your emissions go up and allow you to run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

I thought a return fuel line helps in getting the necessary fuel under boost. Don't turbos prefer return fuel systems as opposed to non return fuel systems?
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chorobe
I thought a return fuel line helps in getting the necessary fuel under boost. Don't turbos prefer return fuel systems as opposed to non return fuel systems?
It would be easier to tune the car with a return type fuel system. You can adjust the fp, to your needs. On the other note, if your fuel pump can't deliver fuel past or exceed the amount that you need, there is no point in using a return type. The other advantage of using an adjustable fpr is your fp can raise with your boost.
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes here is the link to mini mania you can find out more about our engine here than any site I have found and there are alot fo guys hammering the car with boost they even refer to our bottom end as bulletproof http://www.minimania.com/web/threadi.../msgthread.cfm I hope this may help some of you guys and me as well because I want to boost my car to it's maximum potential in the future when they have a kit for the Xa available.
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you also have to look at mitigating factors at 12 -13 pounds of boost he may have been running the car lean the boost may have been spiking I think these cars need to be on standalone management and definently all tuned by somone with alot of experience on a dyno. when we did my honda we made at least 30 pulls to get it dialed in and the tuner has 26 years of experience. I think the cars will handle 13 pounds with no problem with the right engine management fuel delivery and tuning.
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll have to search the threads for the stuff about boosting our engine thats where I found it and there are so many I don't have the time to go through them today
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some info on the return and returnless fuel systems.

Setting up your fuel system:
http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=56

Fuel system types:
http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=55
Old 07-03-2006 | 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rollhard

nobody will know for sure until we start blowing engines. Another guy has tried 12-13psi which blew his motor. We know our engines cant handle that much boost.
so far anyone I have seen that has threw a rod or melted the pistons/rings has been on the stock fuel system...its a pain in the a$$ when you cant raise the fuel pressure once you start hitting those double digit numbers in boost...I have stated in previous posts, i have run my car a bunch of times at 13 psi...good hard runs at that and never ran into any consequences...same compression as the day I got the car. Fuel delivery is critical with these cars, and with the right setup, you can be safe all day long.
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Originally Posted by rollhard

nobody will know for sure until we start blowing engines. Another guy has tried 12-13psi which blew his motor. We know our engines cant handle that much boost.
so far anyone I have seen that has threw a rod or melted the pistons/rings has been on the stock fuel system...its a pain in the a$$ when you cant raise the fuel pressure once you start hitting those double digit numbers in boost...I have stated in previous posts, i have run my car a bunch of times at 13 psi...good hard runs at that and never ran into any consequences...same compression as the day I got the car. Fuel delivery is critical with these cars, and with the right setup, you can be safe all day long.
Im not concerned with "I ran it many times at 13psi." I am more concerned with everyday driving. I commute about 80 miles a day and at 13psi, how long will the motor last?

What Im looking at now are 2004 celica GTS injectors, walbro fp, and sard fpr with perrin fuel rail. I think that is a bit overkill or under 10psi of boost, but Ill know for sure on the dyno.

BTW, since you are running relatively high boost (for a scion) are you getting any check engine lights or VST/trac?
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I remeber correctly Vito ran with a CEL all the time and then every couple of days he would reset the ECU and so on so forth. Correct me if im wrong Vito.
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car is running different. I would get the CEL, track and vsd light on at the same time. Every couple of days, it will go away on its own. Then a couple of days later, it will come back, and so on.
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
If I remeber correctly Vito ran with a CEL all the time and then every couple of days he would reset the ECU and so on so forth. Correct me if im wrong Vito.
correct...same code everytime P0172(system rich bank one)
its gonna happen when you put injectors/return line/rail/255lph walbro etc...it idled smooth though, no pulsing whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

btw i ran my car at about 6.7psi daily, then used a MBC to turn it up to about 9psi daily for a couple of months
Old 07-03-2006 | 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

it idled smooth though, no pulsing whatsoever.
Mine does pulsate at idle when I turn on the engine but it smooths out after a few cycles.
Old 07-04-2006 | 12:04 AM
5 Year Member

Rollhard..... You are now running a all stock Xb with a greddy setup and greddy intercooler kit correct? If so how much did you pay and where? I was wanting to go turbo for a long time and now have decided to. Also clutch wise how much did you pay? Sorry trying to get some #'s here. Ive priced a little but just thought Id ask maybe youve got a hookup place. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2006 | 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeXB
Rollhard..... You are now running a all stock Xb with a greddy setup and greddy intercooler kit correct? If so how much did you pay and where? I was wanting to go turbo for a long time and now have decided to. Also clutch wise how much did you pay? Sorry trying to get some #'s here. Ive priced a little but just thought Id ask maybe youve got a hookup place. Thanks in advance.
My prices will be different than yours because we are a shop here with a Greddy account. I can tell you what to expect though. If you got the kit from us, it will be around $2500 installed. An option is the Greddy intercooler kit. Expect to pay another $500ish for that. Now, if you were doing the install yourself, I have seen some places sell the kit for as low as $1800. Thats lower than we sell it for because we have an actual shop and have to stand behind the product we sell. Many internet only stores will sell the kit to you at a much lower price. The clutch, expect to spend another $275+install. I am using the Exedy stage 1, which has no problem holding the power.
Old 07-04-2006 | 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

Ok.... Ive seen some Greddy kits go for 1800 with no intercooler kit yes, but none of them say they can get the intercooler kit or at what cost for sure. I will be installing everything myself. I am very very mechanically inclinded. Aside from being a Honda junkie putting 3 different motors in my 91 Integra in less than 2 months just because. Its a passion what can I say. But on the other hand I should expect to pay around 2400 for everything Turbo kit, Intercooler, and clutch. Correct me if im wrong? My concern is reliability..... Yes I know turbo's untuned will ruin my motor. But with the Greddy preset emanage system, should I expect to see a cel or any other problems?

Sorry so long you seem to be highly knowledgeable in this field.
Also I will be purchasing and either Innovate wideband or Aem's version so I can monitor my daily driving afr's to be on the safe side.
Old 07-04-2006 | 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

I have some more ?'s if you could answer about the kit could you pm me when you get on. Thanks
Old 07-04-2006 | 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeXB
Ok.... Ive seen some Greddy kits go for 1800 with no intercooler kit yes, but none of them say they can get the intercooler kit or at what cost for sure. I will be installing everything myself. I am very very mechanically inclinded. Aside from being a Honda junkie putting 3 different motors in my 91 Integra in less than 2 months just because. Its a passion what can I say. But on the other hand I should expect to pay around 2400 for everything Turbo kit, Intercooler, and clutch. Correct me if im wrong? My concern is reliability..... Yes I know turbo's untuned will ruin my motor. But with the Greddy preset emanage system, should I expect to see a cel or any other problems?

Sorry so long you seem to be highly knowledgeable in this field.
Also I will be purchasing and either Innovate wideband or Aem's version so I can monitor my daily driving afr's to be on the safe side.
Assuming you get the turbo kit for $1800, add roughly $550 for the intercooler kit, then another $300 for clutch. Thats $2650. Not bad for a 60% increase in power, capable of much more if you upgrade fuel and tune the car. Please see my other posts regarding the stock Emanage maps or see http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Theres a lot of BS going on about turbo kits, power, etc. The turbo kit on my car was more of a "test". I dont sell anything that I wont use myself. Thats why I ask so many questions about other kits, even the Greddy kits....enough to where it will annoy people but I really dont care. If something comes out of this shop, its on us.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2