Notices

Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think rollhard knows what he is talking about and is on the cutting edge for emanage once you guys can make the transition to a standalone if you can find a legal one I think it's going to open up the door for alot more ponies. at least thats why I have seen happen on the hondas. fuel management is key to not cooking a motor keep in mind that everything in our engines are forged so with proper fuel management and retarding the timing you should be able to get 200whp I anticipate safely daily driver once all is said and done that is my guess since we are getting 245 out of a jackson supercharged single overhead can 1.6lier honda with stock internals of course we are doing an inframe rebuild every 80 thousand miles. but thats not bad at all.
Old 07-06-2006 | 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider25
I think rollhard knows what he is talking about and is on the cutting edge for emanage once you guys can make the transition to a standalone if you can find a legal one I think it's going to open up the door for alot more ponies. at least thats why I have seen happen on the hondas. fuel management is key to not cooking a motor keep in mind that everything in our engines are forged so with proper fuel management and retarding the timing you should be able to get 200whp I anticipate safely daily driver once all is said and done that is my guess since we are getting 245 out of a jackson supercharged single overhead can 1.6lier honda with stock internals of course we are doing an inframe rebuild every 80 thousand miles. but thats not bad at all.
hehe, thanks for the compliments. I dont claim to know everything. In fact I am learning many things on these forums just as everyone else should. As for the Emanage, it does what it needs to be our ECU is quite tricky. Its kind of like a stubborn child who will do what you tell him/her to do sometimes, but other times will do what it wants to. The funny thing also is that, from what I know, the Greddy turbo kit is not a legal kit, but the Emanage has a sticker that says "not street legal if removed". Im not sure what that is supposed to mean.

Anyways, I have been told that our pistons were forged but, some have said they werent. Where did you hear that the stock internals were forged?
Old 07-07-2006 | 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard that all the internals were forged from a local machinist who had to tear one down because somone let the motor run lean and popped the head gasket with a turbo. I trust him after 20 years of experience he builds great engines. I know they are cast iron sleeved so doing an overboar is a walk in the park. the connecting rods seemed as beefy as the honda 1.6 and they were forged as well his assesment was that the bottom end was very tough and that with proper retarding and management and fuel delivery the car should be able to handle alot of boost. I take everything with a grain of salt until I see it with my own eyes but I had no reason to doubt the guy he has built alot of engines for people I know and race engines as well.
Old 07-07-2006 | 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hey just to give you a heads up guys, I dont know if you all know this or not, but the way this crankshaft was blueprinted from toyota kind of puts a hurting on us to run major boost. The crankshaft is on a 15 degree angle putting the rods in an awkward position creating a lot more stress on the rods then normally....sucks but I figured I would throw that out for you because Im pretty sure that your(ghostrider25) machinist wouldnt know this stuff until he actually ripped the motor apart
Old 07-07-2006 | 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard that all the internals were forged from a local machinist who had to tear one down because somone let the motor run lean and popped the head gasket with a turbo. I trust him after 20 years of experience he builds great engines. I know they are cast iron sleeved so doing an overboar is a walk in the park. the connecting rods seemed as beefy as the honda 1.6 and they were forged as well his assesment was that the bottom end was very tough and that with proper retarding and management and fuel delivery the car should be able to handle alot of boost. I take everything with a grain of salt until I see it with my own eyes but I had no reason to doubt the guy he has built alot of engines for people I know and race engines as well.
I did hear that the pistons were forged from the factory but when i asked someone at Toyota, they said no. I will do some more research...thanks for sharing!
Old 07-09-2006 | 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well keep in mind it is from word of mouth so I could be wrong wouldn't be the first won't be the last I'm sure. I have no reason to believe the machinist would lie to me but who knows.
Old 07-09-2006 | 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well keep in mind it is from word of mouth so I could be wrong wouldn't be the first won't be the last I'm sure. I have no reason to believe the machinist would lie to me but who knows.
mention it to him and see if he knows anything about it
Old 07-12-2006 | 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard wrong so it was my mistake not the machinist the block is cast iron sleeved the pistons and connecting rods aren't forged but the machinist said that the bottom end is built very solid and should be able to handle the amounts of boost with the proper tuning and fuel that I wanted to run. he also said that it wouldn't cost much if I wanted to have the connecting rods and pistons replaced with forged ones he said he could get them both for around 450 but did not elaborate he was very busy. I talked to some guys on the echo forums as well a few of them are breaking 200whp one guy in particular selling a kit had dyno charts of 227whp everyone I talked to specifically said that the scions problem was the ecu and emanage doesn't allow everything that needs to be done. I am no turbo guru so I would go ask them to elaborate but they seemed to have solved fuel delivery issues and tuning issues averyone I talked to said I would have to find a standalone that would work to achive high numbers safely. so if I can find a standalone that will work I think I am going to get this used echo kit I know somone in denver that can tune pretty well depending on the standalone and software so we'll see it's a possobility. my apologies for hearing wrong about the internals.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think you might want to look into a new machinist. YarisWRC had Carillo make forged rods and pistons for his motor and it ran him around $1300.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scanning through the topic, it doesn't look like y'all have noticed this yet, but uh, there's something wrong with that dyno. Something very fundamental. Maybe I'm just stupid.
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Freudenfahrer
Scanning through the topic, it doesn't look like y'all have noticed this yet, but uh, there's something wrong with that dyno. Something very fundamental. Maybe I'm just stupid.
Okay, please alaberate .
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

what are you talking about...the only thing wrong that I see is the cross over point for tq/hp is not at 5250 RPM's but instead at around 4500 RPMs
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what I'm talking about....should it not crossover at 5252?
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea it definitely should...im not to sure either why it doesnt
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm that is wierd, Im not sure why that is. Everyone is invited to come to my next install/dyno session so maybe we can address that problem. Maybe the Emange program messed with it? Not sure.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever dyno you're using is incorrect. It's not your car that's the problem. The torque may be correct, but the hp definately isn't.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Freudenfahrer
Whatever dyno you're using is incorrect. It's not your car that's the problem. The torque may be correct, but the hp definately isn't.
We have the Dynojet 224x here. Its only a year old so I doubt there is anything wrong with it.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

since it's mathematically impossible for the torque and horsepower not to be the same at 5252 rpms, it has to be the computer on the machine.
Old 07-13-2006 | 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They dont necessarily have to cross (linewise) at 5252. they are supposed to be similar numbers. Here is the graphic from the first run.
[img]They dont necessarily have to cross (linewise) at 5252. they are supposed to be similar numbers. Here is the [/img]

They dont cross at 5252, but the numbers are similar when both are at that range. Im wondering if a clutch slip would cause this.
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh, yes they do. The formula that determines horsepower requires them to cross at 5252.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit Dyno part 2