Greddy Turbo Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
^are you an auto or stick?

If your running the standard e-manage tune, its actually setup specifically for a recirculating system (call and ask if you dont believe me)

As i mentioned, idling isnt really the issue (ulthough it CAN be), its let off's under heavy throttle, and then rapid deceleration (like if you were to auto-x or road race.)

Heres a little test for you stick guys. Bring your car up to about 35-40, quick (as in boosting), then let off the throtle and brake hard...

chances are, your gunna stall. Plain and simple, your overfueling the motor.
I have a 5 speed. I spoke with Mitch @ Greddy Performance a couple of months ago about recirculating. I previously owned a 350 whp FWD Nissan Sentra w/ and SR20DE that I turbocharged and we ran into issues if we blew into atmosphere. This is based off the idea that the MAF is calculating a certain amount of air and the ecu reads this and compensates for fueling; causing the car to run rich in between shifts. This has not been an issue with my car at all. I have been turbocharged for about 1200 miles and haven't stalled once. I am using the base Greddy eManage map and factory 280cc injectors. I will be swapping the tC 380cc injectors in shortly. I have 0 idling issues at this time.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get the emanage custom tuned there should be no pro either way, right ??? assuming the guy knows what the hell he is doing
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, exactly. If you have the vehicle tunes correctly, it wont be an issue.

...as for arizonaturbo, thats great that you put a turbo on your sentra. Ive already been down that path, building a 95 sr20det swap (jdm motor), as oppossed to building the stock block which i had cracked...but regardless its irellevant. I dont need to sit here and post credentials, because i am simply speaking fact.

You took the time to restate what I have posted multiple times in this thread.
"the car RUNS RICH in between shifts."

Plain and simple. Try my test i posted up on the previous page, and see what you get for results. It very well may not happen at only 4-5lbs of boost, but i would be interested to see your results.

All i am saying, is on a daily driver, i would personally prefer to have a car that WONT stall under a quick let-off followed by some evasive breaking.

to each their own.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
yes, exactly. If you have the vehicle tunes correctly, it wont be an issue.

...as for arizonaturbo, thats great that you put a turbo on your sentra. Ive already been down that path, building a 95 sr20det swap (jdm motor), as oppossed to building the stock block which i had cracked...but regardless its irellevant. I dont need to sit here and post credentials, because i am simply speaking fact.

You took the time to restate what I have posted multiple times in this thread.
"the car RUNS RICH in between shifts."

Plain and simple. Try my test i posted up on the previous page, and see what you get for results. It very well may not happen at only 4-5lbs of boost, but i would be interested to see your results.

All i am saying, is on a daily driver, i would personally prefer to have a car that WONT stall under a quick let-off followed by some evasive breaking.

to each their own.
Well, posting about the SR20 was actually NOT IRRELIVENT as it was simply to show you that I understand what you were referring to about idling issues with venting into atmosphere on a car with a Mass Air Flow Sensor.

With that in mind, the fact is that many xB's that are turbocharged and venting into atmosphere are not having these same issues with stalling. Todd with Turbo Toyotas has an automatic that does not stutter, fall on it's face or stall when shifting and neither does my 5 speed. I am sure that many others on this forum that are turbocharged and not recirculating will confirm this as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great point....todd's car is AUTO!

as someone had already posted, this problem isnt NEARLY as noticeable with an auto due to the fact that there is not as significant of a rpm drop in between gears ;)

...and for the last and final time, im NOT speaking in regards of idling issues, or simple drives around town. I gave a very specific scenario twice (which you have yet to comment on in either post).

...and for the record, reallisticly you shouldn't have ANY issues at idle since 1. your not making boost, and 2. your not blowing off...

I didn't say every car is going to do this every time, i was simply providing facts which are backed by very reputable companies.

i.e. in the instructions FROM Turbonetics, they highlight the fact that on MAF cars with MAF sensors, the BOV should be recirculated:

"On engines fitted with mass flow meters, the Raptor Valve discharge MUST be routed back to the engine
between the air mass flow meter and turbocharger compressor intake, otherwise this will result in the
meter sending an excess air flow signal to the ECU, which will result in an extra rich fuel signal to the
injectors. The standard discharge connection is sized for a 1.50” I.D. hose (customer supplied)."

...but again, to each their own.
i rather use proven methods than word of mouth.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a five speed 06' model xb, and I am running the greddy jdm kit, with some custom bends and welds, and I am running a Greddy Type RS BOV, and as stated numerous times, by bfurches, I can honestly vouch for him by saying that he is indeed correct, my car will stall, when you let off abruptly at approximately 3k RPMs or higher, generally it will be okay, idle as low as possible without actually dying, then re level itself out, but only if its under 3k.....just a FYI, I do believe that certain aspects of this topic have become simple misnomers.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for chiming in lol.

got pics of your setup?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought I had a better one of the engine bay but I guess not, well here are some pics, lemme know what you think....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice set-up boost-box
Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by symiansix
nice set-up boost-box
Thanks, man, its nice to have a lil extra power if ya know what i mean, haha
Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am thinking about getting a greddy turbo kit down the road for my 05 auto xb, but after reading threads about ZPI kits blowing motors, and snapping axles, i decided i better hold off.

Currently, i have a Blitz supercharger on my xb, and i used an SAFC II with tc injectors (which are 320cc, not 380cc from what i've read) and after the 2nd dyno pull, my car pull a ____ load of timing, and my hp went down to 81whp! i pulled the fuse, called blitz, called Apexi, and i'm not sure what the deal is. will i have this same problem with a greddy turbo kit later on? is there a fix for this? I was going to switch from the safc II to an Emanage, but i decided to just sell the kit since i could use the xtra cash for my wedding in 2 months.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well, interesting problem to say the least, I have never heard of that happening before, I have the greddy kit and have had it for almost 20,000 miles now and haven't run into any timing problems yet, nor any decrease in hp, if i get a chance i will try to help you figure it out, maybe the injectors are clogged? I didn't even switch becuase with the 1.5L motor and only pushing 5lbs of boost it really didn't warrant the switch or money spending required to allocate some new ones, I will get back to you, post if you get any new leads....
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey boostedbox... thanks for the reply. I pulled the injuectors right out of my tc, and dropped them straight ito the b. the tc is completly stock motor wise for the time being, and it runs fine. if the injectors were clogged, i would have most likely noticed it in the tc.

anyway.. i would greatly appectiate your help in solving this issue. after researching and researching, it looks like the Greddy kit is the way to go. 5psi isn't much, but thats a perfect psi level for our motors.

I'm lacking my stock parts to put my b back together after i pull the blitx kit off. otherwise i would go dyno it with out any forced induction on the car and see what i'm working with.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Been doing some thinking ab talking with some people and we think it could be your engine management, it could be a number of things but that seems like it may be a very distinct possibility....did the kit not come with one?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes.. The kit came with a piggy back fuel controller that consist of 9 wires. There is no way to tune with it.. You just wire it in, and that's how it is. When I dyno'd my b after the install, it was a little on the lean side. This was with the factory injectors and at 7 psi. Sice there was no way to tune the management, I pulled the injectors out of my tc, and threw them in the b, and wired in a SAFC II. Went back to the dyno and made about 8 pulls and after the 3rd pull, my hp dropped over I hp. My af was right at 12.0, so the only thing we could think of is that the ecu pulled a ____ load if timing out. I reset the ecu and made a few more pulls. The first pull was ok, then. It went right back to pulling timing. I'm wondering if its the AFC, of if its my b. I don't remember my buddy having this issue, but he used a camcon for a while but then went back to the blitz management. If and when I get a greddy kit, i'm for sure using an emanage.

Is this a common problem with auto's?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is your buddies' B an auto as well? It sounds to me like the Apexi controller, like I said I don't have a whole lot of experience with the superchargers, esp. and auto no offense, to each their own, but I'm curious if his is an auto or not before I make my final deductions...so hit me back
Old 08-04-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No offense taken man. I wish in would have got a 5 speed but at the time I didn't plan on modding my b at the time of purchase.. Lol.

Anyway.. My friends b that this kit came off of was an auto too.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

best advice i can give is try out a new engine management system, not cheap I know but I have a good feeling that that will help to deduct whether or not that is the problem, sucks your having that many issues bro, i you get a new one let me know...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm selling the sc with or with out the safc. I'm more of a turbo guy anyway =)

who has the Greddy kit on an auto xb? are they having any issues with anything?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ya i know what you mean about being a turbo guy, cause I think its true what they say that once you go turbo you never go back, i don't think I will ever get another car without boosting it, not sure about anyone else with a turbo auto yet I will look around for one and let you know...

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Problems?