or
greddy supercharger.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

good question....

i think the turbo is a slight winner here.
but i don't really know the true numbers.....
Old 02-04-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know, but does anyone know what the greddy kit comes with as far as fuel management or anything?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Love the turbos

I would turbo a car, superchargers seem to be linear with boost to rpm,making boost at a high rpm ..... a small turbo would spool up at a low rpm and give you some nice low rpm tourqe. Also a turbo would be capable of much higher boost then a supercharger....The supercharger belt wont slip with a turbo also.

It all depends on who you ask,anyone with a supercharger will say get a supercharger.
A turbo with a automatic is even faster,NOBODY can shift a 5 speed as fast as a good auto transmission....spend some time at the drags and you would see that.

I love the whistle of the turbo also.

I'm a turbo lover,see my website,youl know why.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: which has more hp

Originally Posted by hotbox05
greddy turbo.
or
greddy supercharger.
Greddy turbocharger i've only seen one online dyno run, and that was 132whp paired with header and 2.5'' piping.

Greddy claims on the s/c 129.9whp, however i haven't seen an actual dyno sheet or run with it yet.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Love the turbos

Originally Posted by ITSAXA
I would turbo a car, superchargers seem to be linear with boost to rpm,making boost at a high rpm ..... a small turbo would spool up at a low rpm and give you some nice low rpm tourqe. Also a turbo would be capable of much higher boost then a supercharger....The supercharger belt wont slip with a turbo also.

It all depends on who you ask,anyone with a supercharger will say get a supercharger.
A turbo with a automatic is even faster,NOBODY can shift a 5 speed as fast as a good auto transmission....spend some time at the drags and you would see that.

I love the whistle of the turbo also.

I'm a turbo lover,see my website,youl know why.
superchargers are capable of making the same abounts of boost, but like you said it comes on soo late.
and if a belt slips, the install or set up is wrong.

certain auto transmissions are good. ours is not one of them. the torque converter never really locks up and bleeds too much during shifts.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you looking at PLug and play get the Greddy SC. it come with the emanage pre programed and very simple to install and look clean.. if your looking and willing to spend more time and money get the turbo.. the SC I have it and it does make a huge differnce.. Im still yet to get it dynoed but you do feel the diff..

I chose to go SC becuase of the way the install looks with out all that piping that goes right over the valve cover. And there are no Oil lines to be pumbed.. way less parts than a turbo..

I asked about the turbo kit they have out now and its just a basic kit no intercooler what so ever..

So it all preferance.. if you like turbos get the turbo if you like SC. get that.. Greddy would nver sell someting that didnt work..

BUt the SC is plug and play!! NO tuning needed..

It took me just 3 hours to install!

Hope this helps you out..

OH yea i have a five speed.. I had the chance to drive a auto withthe SC and I feel more diff with the 5Spd.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

didnt make any lights come on or trigger any CELS right? if so, maybe i could get away with it in CA (the supercharger)
Old 02-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it didnt triger any lights waht so ever.. pluged the Emanage in and started it right up.. IF i did your install and didnt tell you i put it in you wouldnt even have knew it was in.. it ran as if i didn nothing to the car, untill you take it for a test drive and you feel the power!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A turbo can always be tweaked/tuned to make an engine put more horses to the rubber, but I think the reason that most people with these cars are interested in the SC is to get a decent boost and step in HP without pushing this little lawnmover engine too hard. As glamorous as we all are here, most of us still have our little cars as daily drivers. I would love to have a turbo on my box. Spool this little sucker up and watch it fly, but I'd only do it if I could tune and tweak every time I drove it- and I'd be trailoring it to and from the track. It's a good engine, sure. But pressurize this little sucker too much and...pop!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Tsuihousha
didnt make any lights come on or trigger any CELS right? if so, maybe i could get away with it in CA (the supercharger)
lights don't mean anything. if you have a non carb part on yer car and u get yer hood popped. hello state ref.

they are both carb pending.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know but even if it was carb #'d they would fail you, check engine or cels on diognostic = fail smog check
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well yeah but a smog check is easy to pass illegally. pay 200 and bam illegal pass. but if u get yer hood popped yer screwed no matter what. without a carb that is.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hhahaa thats happened to me in my sr20'd 240 that i used to have and all the cop knew is my exhausr "looked" illegal" and somehow my intercooler was illegal. but the motor? haha didnt notice that. so on my xb, i would laugh if they popped my hood =) and i figured i would start worrying about smog a little more cause i polluted the environment more then i had to hahaha. but that 240 incident was a state ref ticket by the way, but i took care of it and got away with a 10$ court fee.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah if you swapped the motor back to stock. or knew a ref that was willing to put his job on the line. cause the sr20det is illegal in the us.

you care about the environment?

what's funny is that cops are being sent to school to learn common swaps . well the illegal ones anyways. like sr's and rb's , and such and such.

all i know is i got my hood popped and my aftermarket aem intake got me reffed. yet they poked and prodded and didnt see or didnt care about my header.

either way the less illegal stuff on my car the happier. ya know what I mean ?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya thats what im saying, i mean doing it the other way is quite easy and painless if you find people but its much more of a hassle then being legal thats for sure.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

all this stuff you guys talking about we dont have those laws in hawaii just this Recon BS.. but no smog or carb check.. its great to live in hawaii!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya, sweet beaches, sweet water, awesome landscape, less to no traffic, no smog laws... the list goes on, except that your stuff is more expensive then ours, but that is one of the only dawbacks. i kinda wanna live there but i dont know anything about that place since ive never been =( oh and turbo can prolly get more power because you can probably force more air in that way. (haha just so im not completely thread jacking!)
Old 02-06-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbocharger

Turbocharger kits are very reliable now,not like they were in the 80's (showing my age).....many turbos have ballbearing centers so theres no boost lag and the reliability is just as good as a supercharger.

correct superchargers dont have oil lines to run,but thats not to hard to do im sure,besides a supercharger has a oil "tank" im sure to keep things "wet"....you would need to change that,i would rather change my oil and be done.

Turbos are reliable now,you can keep the hood closed between oil changes.

you would need to keep a cool hand on the boost **** and not over boost it,I think these cars have weeeek 1.5 motors.

Turbo or charger you WILL FEEL...... the motor willl reach redline twice as fast in gear
things happen faster.

If you have a auto trans,look into a "shift kit" someone said the auto transmissions are slushboxs with bad converters, I dont know if anyone make a shift kit though for a scion.

My scion is daily driven,It has everything on it......The next thing it gets is a turbo....wish it was a automatic.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmmm dont know about the traffic??? triffic here in hawaii sucks amost like LA..

who makes a shift kit?? that what the Auto Lacks.. and needs..

my car a drivin daily and i was hesitant on doing a mod like this before i bought the SC.. but ah screw the warranty and make more power.. so far it been inthe car for a week nad runs like a champ.. now have to make time to get some numbers on it..