which has more hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by killerxromances
^ I don't know about that, you can't swap any motor. At least around here, you can't motor swap to a different code'd motor. Especially in terms of insurance, it looses all reliability when they look at a car with a swap (just take a 95' civic thats swapped with a k20a for example) because they don't know how this was performed, and wether or not it was done properly. If it was legal, you would see much more people swapping. Now of course, this doesn't stop people from swapping and never will. But i have never heard anyone (including a few law enforcement) say that swapping motors is legal in any way.
how does insurance even know ?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Tsuihousha
Yes it exists. In CA this is what i know about it having swapped motors in a different vehicle i have owned and its not that difficult. The motor does indeed have to be the same year or newer then your vehicle first off. Next, it must have all the proper smog equipment (so basically oem unless all your mods for it if you have any must be CARB legal) so it must have all the proper EGR Valves etc... then after the swap is performed you must take it to a state ref inspection station and tell them it is a motor change (if they ask why tell the the other motor blew or something but they wont normally ask) Then procede to tell them the year of the motor and all that info. The inspector will then procede to inspect your motor, takes usually about an hour or so because beleive me they go through it pretty well especially since the motor is from another vehicle. Then if all is well you get a stamp in your door jamb saying what year the motor is and what smog equipment to use for the furture and you get paperwork and you go on your merry way. sounds complicated but its not. Plus when you put a motor in your car that makes much better power in your car stock then your old motor its still awesome, and it will be legal! haha, anyways hope this helps. and if anyone knows if theres new laws this year, say so because this was a couple years ago. see ya guys
correct.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by killerxromances
^ I don't know about that, you can't swap any motor. At least around here, you can't motor swap to a different code'd motor. Especially in terms of insurance, it looses all reliability when they look at a car with a swap (just take a 95' civic thats swapped with a k20a for example) because they don't know how this was performed, and wether or not it was done properly. If it was legal, you would see much more people swapping. Now of course, this doesn't stop people from swapping and never will. But i have never heard anyone (including a few law enforcement) say that swapping motors is legal in any way.
how does insurance even know ?
I was just saying..
Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

by yer reasoning tony , any horsepower adding mod would void your insurance as well. "oh wait you have intake and exhaust?" VOID!. lol
Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

by yer reasoning tony , any horsepower adding mod would void your insurance as well. "oh wait you have intake and exhaust?" VOID!. lol
Nu uh.

A motor swap to a different engine code is completely different than modding your motor that the car came with. In terms of insurance, of course you aren't going to tell them. But in the event you wanted to have that particular motor covered with the car, i seriously doubt they would do anything for you if not cancel your insurance because of it.

Its considered a saftey and reliability issue when you go from, okay..lets take the xb for example. going from a 1nz to just say a 2zz. The modifications needed to fit the 2zz, can be considered un-safe for street use which is why i find it odd that the government would approve of this. I mean, if done correctly yes its just as safe but usually the government doesn't see it that way.

It doesn't make sense to me, especially in cali how theres such strict laws in regarding CARB and a few other things, yet do approve motor swapping. I don't know, it just seems backwards to me. Then again, most laws are very much so backwards in regards of how they are written and acted upon.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm lost, when did this become a motor swap thread anyway?

Darren, either go boost or don't. But quit thinking about it and just do it or don't! jk
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dude. motorswaps r cool. carb is not cool.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude. motorswaps r cool. carb is not cool.
Indeed.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The track

Spend some time at the track walking the stagging lanes,people are more then happey to talk, and you can see what cars are running well,you might need some help from them after your kit is in turbo or supercharged.
If your lucky youl have a dragstrip near home,Im 3 hours each way from one.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no one in sac is turbo. or supercharged cept a rich crazy guy with a custom made 5 grand jdm supercharger.