Notices

How Much, and My Experience.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thats really weird... Is it a diaphram style one?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, standard spring loaded piece to my knowledge.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, well i fixed the problem.

What we found is that the internal gate inside of the greddy turbo only has 1 flap. The mcb i was using utilizes a charge for a dual flap style wastegate, hence why it was working backwards.

We got the new controler and put it in, now the thing is flawless....and it looks 110% better too. I will take some pics of it all mounted up tonight and try to get the part number of it.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bfurches
ok well heres an update...

Yesterday we hooked up the Turbonetics mechanical controller.
For whatever reason, the regulator works BACKWARDS on the greddy turbo.

After hooking the thing up, i completely closed the valve (which should set the pressure to the internally gated 5lbs), took the thing for a ride, and watched the boost spike to 13lbs!

After bringing the car back to the shop, we tried switching the lines around, but to no avail. same issue occurred.

We found that by slowly opening the valve (which essentially would bleed off exhaust and create more boost) actually dropped our levels to the current setup of 8lbs which i reside at now.

...to say the least its weird. We even tried running a different boost source from the charge pipe instead of the turbo, and still no luck!

Im guessing that MAYBE its a bad valve? I am going to bring it to a local boost shop later and see what i can come up with, so sit tight!

Oh....and by the way, that extra 3lbs makes a HUGE difference.

all in favor of video say I.
that's not backwards, that's normal, as you restrict/close the valve u gain boost.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea as u open it all the way, it is basically not doing anything and is at the wastegate preset
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i apologize for not being a little more clear on the subject...

I didnt meen to refer to it as closing or opening the valve, what i was trying to explain is that when you crack the **** to the negative position, you are supposed to reduce the boost, and the positive position increase boost. As i already mentioned, it was NOT normal, it was the wrong style regulator for the specific wastegate.

Our wastegates are single flap desing (by "ours" i meen any one with the greddy turbo), while a lot of standard external gates tend to be dual flap (which is what that particular controler was desinged for).

...sure, it did work, but attempting to dial in the desired boost was practically impossible as one quarter of a turn essentially put the thing at total boost.

Regardless, fact of the matter is we have the propper regulator installed now, and adjustments are AWSOME. each click of the controler creates 1/2lb boost increments up to 25 additional from regulated.

I will hopefully have some numbers for evryone tomorw after the run down the track. (hopefully its not too busy and i can get a few passes down)

...as for air/ fuel, the car is def. running rich judgeing by the fuel which was still soaking on the plugs when i pulled them today for the NGK's lol.

I am daily driving at about 7.5lbs right now with no problems....yet.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok guys, got some new info...

First off, i went to the track last night and SUCKED ___. The track was WICKE sticky, and my 60's were terrible. I only ran twice because my clutch started to slip but i hit a 15.7 at 88.9mph with a 2.5 60'. Car def should have been lower than that, and i was running about 8-9lbs of boost.

...heres the real development though. I got my hands on the Apex'i NEO. The thing is SOOO sweet for fuel management, and the ecu seems to be taking evrything ok. Theres a lot of fine tuning with that unit and you can control a low/ high throttle map indiviudally.

I am shooting for the dyno tomorow for some real tuning, but we will have to wait and see. I already feel a huge improvement and if i can get the clutch in this week, i tihnk we will be seeing some high 14's on 8-9lbs.

...if im feeling froggy i will go for 12.

oh! and my block off plate for the static regulator should be done this week, so i can successfuylly run the return fuel system w/ new regulator.