Notices

M62 blower project, finished! It works...ish!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default M62 blower project, finished! It works...ish!

Sorry I don't have any new pictures for this post. I did take some but have not uploaded them yet.

I finished the project last night at 6pm or so and started it up, idled great so I took it for a test drive.

IT MAKES BOOST! .... though the first time it hit 5psi it was at 2,000rpm in second and the outlet piping blew off and the engine stalled. Started it up, ran real rough but got it back home (just tooling around the neighborhood.) Found the blown offf pipe (I had forgotten to tighten a clamp) and put it back on. First test drive was by no means flawless either. It bucked a bit, vacuum jumped up and down and it wasnt running anywhere close to tip top shape... but it DID work.

Second trip out, a bit more stumbly, it made boost again.. 10psi worth at ~2,500 rpm and man did it go, then blew the stinking pipe out again at another joint.

I parked it and took off the outlet piping and started it up after moving the intake down to the throttlebody (removing the Supercharger from the intake chain) and found the issue. My calculations didn't account for so much air at idle from the blower (feels like 20mph wind when standing infront of the outlet at idle)... my bypass is too small and the blower pulley is too big.

Have to rethink things and redesign things if I am to go further on it.. but it DID work!!! Almost too much. I'll post more later witha pic of the completed setup. it sounded so awesome and my wife could hear it scream (10psi) about 8 houses down still IN the house. If I was going for all out power it would be killer.

I think I might have to scratch the project or buy a smaller blower. The size pulley I would need is just to large to fit under the hood.

Mock if you want, but I feel thrilled that something I built COMPLETELY on my own actually worked. It made boost twice and the engine is still alive. Even if I write it off as a loss I'll still feel thrilled about that. I don't mind blowing the $500 I spent on this not to mention my time spent on it.

Anyway... some people said the blower was too big.. well, I just can't get a big enough pulley on it to use it.. but make no mistake, it was HAULING at 10psi and the powe to drive the blower was certainly far less than the power gained from the boost.

Cya.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nice bro, congrats man. Glad to see you got something good out of this whole project.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome....Finish it up and make some kits
Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice... That is great!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, that is an awsome project.

What size pulley are you running now?

I have some experiance with the M62, but I own an M90 powered engine in my Fiero. One question, you shouldn't be making that much boost at that low of RPM, or a 2K for that matter. I was wondering do you have the boost bypass valve hookedup? Do you read any vacuum at idle, or is it just boost?

I hope you get it running, that would be bad ___.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Golden, I saw your post over on clubgp.com I'm boogieq over there as well.

I'm running a 3.8 pulley on the M62 but I think my issue is that I have the blower BEFORE the throttlebody, thus it is able to scoop full amount of air per rotation. My bypass valve is an external one and it DOES work, but I believe it to be too small in relation.

I think it would work if I moved the throttlebody to PRE blower and had a larger bypass. However, I am 99% certain I will be ditching the project and selling the parts. I wanted to finish this up, and if it would have worked right right away I'd keep it, but with a kid on the way, I just don't have the $$ to go highly custom (as I would have to have others make me machined aluminum parts).

I may redesign it again next year, who knows...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoogieQ
Golden, I saw your post over on clubgp.com I'm boogieq over there as well.

I'm running a 3.8 pulley on the M62 but I think my issue is that I have the blower BEFORE the throttlebody, thus it is able to scoop full amount of air per rotation. My bypass valve is an external one and it DOES work, but I believe it to be too small in relation.

I think it would work if I moved the throttlebody to PRE blower and had a larger bypass. However, I am 99% certain I will be ditching the project and selling the parts. I wanted to finish this up, and if it would have worked right right away I'd keep it, but with a kid on the way, I just don't have the $$ to go highly custom (as I would have to have others make me machined aluminum parts).

I may redesign it again next year, who knows...
Oh, so your using it more like a turbo setup with a wastegate type of deal. Sounds interesting, but im not quite sure how that would work. I belive a 3.8 is still too small of a pulley, you may want to jump up to a 4" if you have the space, ZZP sells them in that size.

I know what you mean by just not having the money or time to do what you want with the car. Im kinda in tha same boat as you, except it's not a baby but a new place to live for me.

I hope you keep on this project after you get settled in, I think it would be a unique mod to the Scion.

Good luck with your project, and the new edition to your family.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the reason why I was going to stay with the 3.8 was I was going to add additional fueling and go for 200ish whp. The 3.8 would supply enough air for that.

Yes, it's setup like a turbo, where the boost/air is collected off the bottom and run by pipe to the throttlebody. The only issue, is the bypass not being large enough, and also that it simply scoops too much air without a restriction (throttle plate) in front of it. Once I got moving and the air was flowing and boost building, it was pretty dang fast.

The $$ to fix the issues is just too much for now. I may hang on to the plates and parts and sell the blower, etc. thus I can simply source another M62 in the future.

I also discovered that with that much weight placed so high, the motor tends to really kick on shifts and has become top heavy. Another motor mount would fix this.. but again.. more $$.

It worked, I'm satisfied, it made boost twice and made power off of that boost.. how much is hard to say. Maybe i'll just start sinking my money back into our L67 GP GT. I'll try and get the completed pic up later.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with the kid. Glad to see that with parts available ... you can S/C the xB without having to break the bank with other s/c kits.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adam (Boogie),

Do you have the weight / dimensions of the M62?

And I know you are abandoning the project for now, but is there any way you could have modified your mount to lower the supercharger? Maybe even have it at an angle, instead of flat to aid with clearance and "balance" issues?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: M62 blower project, finished! It works...ish!

Congrats on your project's success. A hint (I helped build a S14 at 25psi+ that had this same problem with the piping). Besides having a BPV that can handle the boost, one thing you can do is to bead-weld all of the piping and inlets, then when you put the couplers on you put clamps behind the bead thus locking the piping in...

We were driving the S14 a few months ago and blew a charge pipe down the street not fun let me tell you..
Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

awesome. Too bad you have to ditch the project. Post up some pics. I'm sure someone here will buy the parts if you want to get rid of them...then they can make it work really well.

Mad props.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I remember saying something about the M62 being too big, but I was shut down...again (just like the 5th injector idea?!?!) Anyway, good to see you got it all together and sorry to hear of the problems (although minor in my opinion).

BTW, I recall you or someone telling me that this type of blower has a return air system that works off pressure much like a wastegate....to basically keep it from creating too much boost. Wouldn't this regulate the PSI? I mean 10 PSI is extreme!

Thanks for taking the time and energy to do this! You shouldn't give up on it yet...although there is a reason that bigger companies spend tons of time and money on R&D...LOL.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

10psi is desireable. :D Wish I was running that. I'll just have to settle for 7 right now.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adam (Boogie),

Do you have the weight / dimensions of the M62?

And I know you are abandoning the project for now, but is there any way you could have modified your mount to lower the supercharger? Maybe even have it at an angle, instead of flat to aid with clearance and "balance" issues?
I do not have the weight or dimensions off hand. It weighs about ... 15-20lbs if I had to guess. Add in the aluminum and such and it's about a 30-35lb addition in total.

The blower cannot mount any lower, there is no room for a collector if I did that as it would interfere with the stock intake.

Congrats on your project's success. A hint (I helped build a S14 at 25psi+ that had this same problem with the piping). Besides having a BPV that can handle the boost, one thing you can do is to bead-weld all of the piping and inlets, then when you put the couplers on you put clamps behind the bead thus locking the piping in...

We were driving the S14 a few months ago and blew a charge pipe down the street not fun let me tell you..
Exactly what i would do differently, however, again $$ and time being an issue. I do have a BPV that could handle the flow, it's the stock one built into the blower, but I didn't use it, I'll explain why further down.

awesome. Too bad you have to ditch the project. Post up some pics. I'm sure someone here will buy the parts if you want to get rid of them...then they can make it work really well.

Mad props.
Thanks! I just haven't had a moment to sit and upload the shots. I do have them though and WILL post them.

I think I remember saying something about the M62 being too big, but I was shut down...again (just like the 5th injector idea?!?!) Anyway, good to see you got it all together and sorry to hear of the problems (although minor in my opinion).

BTW, I recall you or someone telling me that this type of blower has a return air system that works off pressure much like a wastegate....to basically keep it from creating too much boost. Wouldn't this regulate the PSI? I mean 10 PSI is extreme!

Thanks for taking the time and energy to do this! You shouldn't give up on it yet...although there is a reason that bigger companies spend tons of time and money on R&D...LOL.
Yes, I remember being told it was too big, but there are two different ways for it to be too big. If I recall you were referring to it being to 'BIG' as far as pushing too much air and that it won't be able to be spun due to parasitic losses on this large of a blower. To that point, you were incorrect. It's flow can be managed and the motor can spin it just fine.

Regarding it's physical size, it fits under the hood, does not hit anything, but weighs enough that it warrants an extra motor mount. To that point you may be correct, but it can be managed. In short, the blower WILL/DOES work on this car, it just needs extra supports.

To address the return air system or boost bypass vavle... yes, it has this feature and is of adequite size to do the job, however, I would have had to have a coustom welded aluminum collector made to be able to use it. I did not want to spend that kind of money only to find out the project sucked or something to that effect. As such, I went with a cheap external already made bypass valve and bought an aluminum collector that is used on older Thunderbird supercoupes. It was about half the cost and did work, just not well enough with the throttlebody AFTER the blower. If I continue the project, I will have the custom part made and the integrated bypass will be used.

It ran fine on 10psi and I would imagine if I got it up to 6,000RPM it would be in the 12-14 range. To just give you a small idea, the car was pulling at 2,000rpm @ 10psi like it was at 5000+ before the blower was installed. I didn't hold on it wide open for more than a second or two each time.

You all's posts make me want to redesign and keep it. I would have to have custom pipes welded, custom collector welded, and move the throttlebody pre blower, and put a coupling on the stock intake where the TB is now.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL... would anyone buy this if it were finished, tested, and custom CNC'd to look all pretty and be a direct install? At this point I would probably only go forward with it if the market was there for it.

Whew, fingers tired.. thanks for the props guys.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, do not forget, this plate mount design could be used for almost any blower that can fit under the hood, so cheaper M45's would work too. Just the piping and collector would have to be blower specific, but the main mounting design is universal. Different holes in the plates and it's good to go.

Anyway. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BoogieQ...I am a welder and do a lot of aluminum work...If you can get me drawings, dimensions, sketches, pics of what you need, I may be able to get you the collector you need. Let me know something, ok?

And as far as size, you are correct. In the past, I did mention that it was too big and thought the motor wouldn't be able to turn it to produce any real boost. You proved me wrong on that one! Now the problem is TOO MUCH boost. Anyway, if I can help you in any way, let me know!

Althogh I don't know the limits of our 1NZ motors, I do feel that I would not bolt one of these on unless it was around 6-8 PSI. I love having power, but don't want to scatter the motor all over the highway!

What did you do for fuel management? I was looking into a few set-ups for my Tacoma turbo project and basically decided it was going to be way too expensive after buying a wide band O2 sensor, a piggyback system, bigger injectors and all the other things needed. I was looking at $2000 before I even added in the turbo and BOV, tubing, intercooler etc. What are you doing for management?

Thanks for the update on everything!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have anything on it yet. Like you said, it's expensive for FM parts so I wanted to see if it worked first. The stock injectors could flow enough to handle just about any boost amount I put at it low in the RPM range *where I tested* so I wasn't worried about it. Now, I most certainly would not have taken it over low RPMs without something in place.

I might take you up on that offer x_rayted. I'm leaving the project on hold for now simply because I don't want to mess with it. But should the time come I wish to go at it again, I'll refer back to you.

My main management option was going to be a ODB scanner and a 5th injector controler, if that didn't work, I'd go from there. I always investigate the simplist method first, if no dice, I go all out.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ignore the PVC pipes and visible RTV. I was nearing the end and simply didn't want to deal with it anymore so I went supercheap. It still worked The materials used didn't effect it as much as the flaws in my design (that are known and that I CAN fix should I choose to continue it.

Here yee be. Laugh away

Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

So, what happened? Anything new on this?

Quick Reply: M62 blower project, finished! It works...ish!