Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Steve60
Suprecharger lag????? I must have missed something......... It would be the "how" part.
just being facetious
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah Ha....... I thought I lost something.....
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member

sorry to butt in but i just wanted to inform you about the Blitz Supercharger kit. i ran it for a year on a 04 Scion Xa Automatic with an Injen CAI, DC Sports Ceramic 4 in 1 Header, and JIC Magic Exhaust. I also own a 240sx w SR20DET (turbo) manual and i have had it for a year. the turbo charged vehicle definetley has more power and sounds sweet. but i have to agree that the blitz supercharger kit was the most reliable. it barely gave me problems and close to the end of it being on the car i ran nitrous through it which made it probably as fast as the 240sx. the 240 sx on the other hand has given me grief since i got it. boost leaks mostly.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ruben7520
sorry to butt in but i just wanted to inform you about the Blitz Supercharger kit. i ran it for a year on a 04 Scion Xa Automatic with an Injen CAI, DC Sports Ceramic 4 in 1 Header, and JIC Magic Exhaust. I also own a 240sx w SR20DET (turbo) manual and i have had it for a year. the turbo charged vehicle definetley has more power and sounds sweet. but i have to agree that the blitz supercharger kit was the most reliable. it barely gave me problems and close to the end of it being on the car i ran nitrous through it which made it probably as fast as the 240sx. the 240 sx on the other hand has given me grief since i got it. boost leaks mostly.
thats exactly what my freind is having troubles with. try taking a look at your waste gate, thats where we've discovered atleast 90% of the leak problems on that motor. we also found a few bad seals aswell but it's been mainly the wastegate, he just hasn't had the money to rebuild or replace it yet.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just found this thread, since the original question did not ask about a turbo, the choices are Greddy, Blitz or PE. My opinion is as follows:

Greddy - easiest to install, cheapest system, 8 psi max

Blitz - slightly more complex setup w/ activation switch setup, 7 psi reported on their site

PE - highest performance gains, most expensive, install difficulty unknown

Greddy and Blitz run a piggyback engine management box, so if you have an '06, you will need to rewire the harness. PE runs with the stock ECU and a different injector / fuel pump setup.

Greddy has jack squat for product support, if you have issues, be prepared to troubleshoot yourself or have the install done by a shop that stands by their work. PTuning in Manassas, VA is quite nice.

I'm running the Greddy charger, only two problems I've had are a shorted engine harness and a stuck bypass valve. Harness was my own dumb fault as I routed it directly under the moving arm of the bypass vacuum actuator. Stuck valve was cleared up with a few applications of machine oil. Running 113.6 WHP, stock runs 86. My top end is lean, I will be upgrading injectors and fuel rail on 9/21, will report on gains. HKS's turbo also tops at 114 on stock injectors, so there may be a hard upper limit without upgrading regardless of turbo or supercharger selected.

To the person commenting on supercharger lag, I have noticed it on my vehicle. It is caused by the engine not revving up for .5-1s when the accelerator is pressed. I believe it's caused by the automatic trans / Scion ECU / poor throttle response setup and not the supercharger though, in Neutral there is no lag.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"To the person commenting on supercharger lag, I have noticed it on my vehicle. It is caused by the engine not revving up for .5-1s when the accelerator is pressed. I believe it's caused by the automatic trans / Scion ECU / poor throttle response setup and not the supercharger though, in Neutral there is no lag."
This is the auto only. This also happens, big time, when the trans & engine are cold ( the blue temp light on the dash ). There is NO LAG with the manual. None.
Vettereddi, try the injectors without the piggy. The OE seems to work well with the TC injectors. After experimenting this last Sunday, I found that the e-manage wants to dump more fuel than needed IMHO. The AF drops into the low9s. With the OE the AF at WOT looks to be in the high 11s. I believe that, with this engine, at 8+psi, the AF is safe at mid to high 12s, as long as the EGT is not excessive ( it should throw a CEL if too high ).
Some time this week I'm going to put the TC injectors in the 06 car. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good luck with the injector swap, After I throw mine I'm having another dyno tune done. I really need to get a wideband to check real-world driving but funds have been going to other mods so far.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

PE is the best for making power on an xB...all the arguments about turbo>Blowers>Nitrous are just plain stupid.

They all three make power, but they all have their drawbacks and advantages. I've had the Blitz (pulled it off after a week), a PE (car ran 30k miles reliably making 138whp), and nitroused xBs that smoke both supercharged and turbo xBs.

SC IMO is the way to go on a mild xB due to the fact that with a turbo you are wasting all the boost potential unless you're willing to invest alot more money. The PE is a centrifugal blower that progressively builds boost and volume just like a turbo. PD blowers like the Blitz have instant volume that decresses with pressure. This means the car has more usuable power when it needs it (on the top) with the PE.

Both kits will be reliable. I never had any problems with load on the crank due to the fact that the blowers arent driven off the crank. They are driven off the alt. This has been a problem on other types of cars, but it's not common.

You will have to replace the belt as they stretch and allow slip which robs boost. Fuel economy hovered around 24mpg.

If you want to go the easy and fastest way on a MILD car find a nice nitrous kit. You'll make more power reliably, have stock fuel economy, and a cheap entry price. It'll take a few years to catch up to a blower in price with nitrous fills.

If you want a blower go with the PE.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

finally a straight answer on the pe kit, no one knows anything about it....how hard is the install? if you don't mind me asking, and is that 138whp in stock exaust, header, radiator, injector, etc..., i am in the market for a s/c...but i need to know what to prepare for money wise( after the big purchase)

thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree the cintrifuigul blower is a nive unit its similar to the vf charger they are nice but if you dont want to spend the money the only free power out there is nitrous (dosent rob power) like the turbo or blower and its cheep and as long as its a wet shot and you dont throw a 100 shot in it you will be fine if you ran around with a 35 shot it would be fine and when you went to the track threw in a 50 or 75 it would work fine
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kapthowdy
Both kits will be reliable. I never had any problems with load on the crank due to the fact that the blowers arent driven off the crank. They are driven off the alt. This has been a problem on other types of cars, but it's not common.
Please see my post

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...464&highlight=

My crank pulley pin was compromised after the supercharger install. Part of this may be due to the aluminum crank pulley being softer than the pin and getting rounded out as the pin became misshapen. While I did not notice an issue with the crank pulley while driving, given more time there would have been a failure. When you're doing a supercharger install, since the belts are already off, take the time to swap the stock crank pulley roll pin with a 1/8" solid pin. The pulley bolt covers the pin hole so you don't need any sealant or adhesive to hold the pin in, just make sure it's slightly recessed in the pin hole to let the bolt fasten evenly around the pulley.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes very little to shear the crank roll pin...it happens all the time with the aftermarket pully's. I'm saying it never happened to me. The statment refered to the load on the crank pully. Not the roll pin.

As far as supporting mods to make your blower work better, only thing I had on the PE car was a header into the stock exhaust. About the only way to make the exhaust flow better than stock is to replace the entire set-up from the header back. Dont waste time with the axel back crap unless you just want to sound different. EXPECT 22-24MPG!

The PE istall is just standard blower stuff. You can use regular tools, and should take a decent wrench about 4-5 hours. My car never had a tune, so ran very rich all the time which was holding it back. At the time there wasnt many tuning options for the xB. The stock rail and injectors can easily support the modest gain of either blower. PE adds a bigger (more flow) fuel regulator with there kit to take care of the addtional fuel needed.

Later I added a 17hp shot of nitrous as an intercooler. This dropped my boost 1 pound, but after tuning the nitrous we made 162hp with a very safe AF. I was able to compensate for the rich condition the car regularly ran with a lean fuel jet. Worked out very well, but ran into other issues due to stress and traction. From a roll that car was deadly. My wife even destroyed a Hemi Magnum with it by about 4 cars to 80mph in front of about 10 other Scion owners leaving a car show in Daytona. They were amazed!

We were going to go further with this car, but soon after the nitrous install it burned down in my garage when my house caught on fire. I bought it back from the insurance company and already have a new engine/trans waiting for it in my shed. Just need to strip it and prep the unit body. Hoping to have the fastest xB in the world when I'm done. <flame suit on> Powered by Ford!

Wifes current xB just has a nasty nitrous set-up and exhaust on it, and actually runs better than the old PE car, plus she gets her regular 30MPG

Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes very little to shear the crank roll pin...it happens all the time with the aftermarket pully's. I'm saying it never happened to me. The statment refered to the load on the crank pully. Not the roll pin.

As far as supporting mods to make your blower work better, only thing I had on the PE car was a header into the stock exhaust. About the only way to make the exhaust flow better than stock is to replace the entire set-up from the header back. Dont waste time with the axel back crap unless you just want to sound different. EXPECT 22-24MPG!

The PE istall is just standard blower stuff. You can use regular tools, and should take a decent wrench about 4-5 hours. My car never had a tune, so ran very rich all the time which was holding it back. At the time there wasnt many tuning options for the xB. The stock rail and injectors can easily support the modest gain of either blower. PE adds a bigger (more flow) fuel regulator with there kit to take care of the addtional fuel needed.

Later I added a 17hp shot of nitrous as an intercooler. This dropped my boost 1 pound, but after tuning the nitrous we made 162hp with a very safe AF. I was able to compensate for the rich condition the car regularly ran with a lean fuel jet. Worked out very well, but ran into other issues due to stress and traction. From a roll that car was deadly. My wife even destroyed a Hemi Magnum with it by about 4 cars to 80mph in front of about 10 other Scion owners leaving a car show in Daytona. They were amazed!

We were going to go further with this car, but soon after the nitrous install it burned down in my garage when my house caught on fire. I bought it back from the insurance company and already have a new engine/trans waiting for it in my shed. Just need to strip it and prep the unit body. Hoping to have the fastest xB in the world when I'm done. <flame suit on> Powered by Ford!

Wifes current xB just has a nasty nitrous set-up and exhaust on it, and actually runs better than the old PE car, plus she gets her regular 30MPG

Old 09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow,nice n2o set up, thanks for the input, never eally thought about n20 in the box, ah decision's decisions...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kapthowdy, that was quite the fire. I hope the damage was limited to just the garage......
N2o is very underated & thought to be an engine killer. Not true. In the early days, mid 80s, you would set the FP to the desires level, less fuel more power. No single mixer, 2 sets of jets, 1 fuel behind the gas. Still have a car that was & still is run with a button. If the FP is too low, you melt the ring lands ( great power though ) end the engine.
Today's N2o is safe easy power. As a stand alone power mod nothing beats it.... And low $$$ to boot. The bad - finding a bottle fill. Around here, if you're using spray, you better have more than 1 bottle. The local welding supply, if you have an account, will fill my bottles but it can take as long as a month.
Kapthowdy - what was your AFR? I'm wondering how much the stock pistons will take. 12.6 is the number I'm thinking = safe. 11.6 is where most want to be for any sustained WOT to be safe ( this is a number I use for racing - haven't broken in a very long time ).
Your burned box, Roush blower motor, moved back to the front seat, 9", Speedway front snout, tube frame, 4 link???????
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fire took most of my roof, living room, and kitchen. It started in the wall with a slow short, then went up into the attic. Notice all the Christmas bulbs on the roof? The car was parked under the attic trap and everything fell onto the car and started the garage fire. We were home when it happened, but the doors to the xB were locked, so I just watched it burn...did manage to save my GT parked next to it, though. All happened way too fast. That was about the end of my Scion aftermarket parts business.

Nitrous is a killer power adder, and all being equal will out hustle any other power adder. Bar none. It has drawbacks, but as you said it's cheap, reliable, and very easy to tune. My favorite part is the fact that you maintain drivability and economy while still being able to kick a$$. When you're done with the car it can be pulled off in an hour and reused on the next one.

A few months back we had a bunch of people call me out for a friends tC I had put together a kit for. It was an automatic with exhaust and a 50hp hit. First night out he ran a 14.4 at the track with video proof. Amazingly he was trapping at 98mph all night. With more practice he could have hit 13.9999, but unfortunatly he traded the car before we got to play with it hard. Also have another friend with an xB that was running a 35hp hit and couldnt find any races after a couple Saturday night runs. His car is a killer on the street, and nobody wanted to be seen losing to an xB after seeing his car take out some pretty decent cars.

AF was at 12.2 on the spray, but unfortunatle it only had 2 bottles put through it before the fire, and no track runs.

I have a commercial account with Holox and can get an 80# bottle filled at $1.09 a pound. Then just buy a cheap used freezer to store bottles in and you're set. Anybody paying $30-$40 a fill is a nut. At last count I have 7 bottles...we use alot in my Mustang.

For the burned car...I have an built 88 2.3T out of a Turbo Coupe with a T5 and 8.8" rear. It will be set on a 4 link with a bag. It's just a matter of getting time to start the work. Should be a fun little car. Interior will be tinned and it should weigh around 1600 pounds with a good solid 320-350hp. Skinnies and Slicks of course. Should drag the bumper with good track prep.

Still has a clean title, so shouldnt be any trouble getting tagged to take it to the street races.

Originally Posted by Steve60
Kapthowdy, that was quite the fire. I hope the damage was limited to just the garage......
N2o is very underated & thought to be an engine killer. Not true. In the early days, mid 80s, you would set the FP to the desires level, less fuel more power. No single mixer, 2 sets of jets, 1 fuel behind the gas. Still have a car that was & still is run with a button. If the FP is too low, you melt the ring lands ( great power though ) end the engine.
Today's N2o is safe easy power. As a stand alone power mod nothing beats it.... And low $$$ to boot. The bad - finding a bottle fill. Around here, if you're using spray, you better have more than 1 bottle. The local welding supply, if you have an account, will fill my bottles but it can take as long as a month.
Kapthowdy - what was your AFR? I'm wondering how much the stock pistons will take. 12.6 is the number I'm thinking = safe. 11.6 is where most want to be for any sustained WOT to be safe ( this is a number I use for racing - haven't broken in a very long time ).
Your burned box, Roush blower motor, moved back to the front seat, 9", Speedway front snout, tube frame, 4 link???????
Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You WILL have a killer aftermarket business after the rebuild.

The 2.3 will make your XB quite the street fighter. This motor was used for a very long time in USAC midgets. It's pretty dated now but the head design is still 1 of the best. This will be a fun car & fun project.........
Best of luck with the rebuild & the XB project,
Steve
Old 02-24-2008, 11:46 PM
SL Member

found this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Default Dont SC go TURBO

just to let you know after turboing my xa and getting it tuned. I raced my wife in her 5 speed 2007 tc and within a couple seconds pulled 10- cars on her. straight out smoked her. Call Todd with Turbo Toyotas and get a custom kit made for your box.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Hey guys. I've got that Power Enterprise SP? (I don't get what SP is, but I figure it means supercharger? lol.) On my Yaris right now. Installation took around 5 hours to do. But then again, my friends and I were goofing off like crazy.

The only hard part, is that you'd need an impact wrench to take off the alternator pulley, and put the aftermarket pulley in.

Btw, I've got the Prototype kit for the Yaris. There is another post here with pictures of my Yaris.

BTW, the kit isn't offically available here in the states, due to distributor regions.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9831 Thats my post with most of the updates, and information. Or w/e.

Let me know if you have any questions.

/edit. I've been getting around 37mpg in my Yaris, with out the S/C. After the S/C was installed, I've been getting consistant 33mpgs per tank. I've got a pretty heavy foot. That coupled with the fact I like the sounds my engine makes at high revs, I've been flooring the car when ever I can.

Quick Reply: Power Enterprise SP OR Blitz SP