Project: Angry Panda (V1.0)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago
Originally Posted by ippskidder
Are you personally doing the P&P work? If your are thats sick, lol.
yes.

Pete, as i stated above, i'm using this mani mockup just to find out if it'll fit. it's pretty compact as it is, that tube is 2.5" OD, probably 2.375 ID. i will be revamping the mani before final.
I think the way it sits... even with the charge snout pointed up, the motor won't go in. My turbo sits bascally on top of the manifold and is like a half inch away from the head, and it is close as crap to the firewall. I had to but a giant eye-bolt from the upper motor-mount to the strut tower, and adjust it to push the motor away from the firwall so the turbo doent smack the brake line when and if i got wheel hop. But u should try it... i mean ifs it's not to much trouble. I could be wrong though, cant rember the shape of the firewall from the last time i pulled my motor. Just giving u constructive outlooks here.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

no, i appreciate it greatly, i haven't heard any intelligent input on the 1nZ yet, i'd love any input you have. we'll see.. i'm positive the APR strut bar will be in the way. .

it'll be a couple weeks before i can pull the stock manifold off and test fit.. fingers crossed :D
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

on boring in the 2.0 stage, many people have said it can tbe bored anymore, it was originally a 1.3 bored to a 1.5 so theirs nothing left to bore really, i may be wrong, just a heads up.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Banned
SL Member

thanks! i know ELP did a 1.7L 1nZ so i know there's some room.. i'm thinking very very slight, probably 1.6L or close to it. not really for any other reason then to be able to run "good" pistons
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Tamago, I think you will find it extremely hard to fit the manifold, turbo and downpipe once mounted in the engine bay. The way your compressor housing sits will be really close to the firewall. I am running the Greddy turbo kit and as you can see in the pictures posted, there is little to no room once mounted.

You can also see that the intercooler piping is extremely tight as well once installed.

I am all for innovation and determination, but there are many other routes you could take to build a custom turbo kit. RevHard makes a great cast iron manifold and Turbo Toyotas makes a nice log style manifold that you can easily obtain and build a kit from scratch using one of these manifolds.

You can click the link in my signature; "Greddy xB Turbo Kit Installation" and see some pretty detailed installation pictures.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

thanks! my first problem solver is that i will not be running a front mount, so the piping will not be an issue. the xB has EVEN MORE room under the hood than my car too, which sucks for me.. but i have no problem "modifying" the hood.

i have looked at turbotoyota's manifold, and it actually looks LESS compact than my manifold.. could be wrong though.. we'll see in a couple weeks. it's chafing me to no end not having the time to pull out my stock exhaust
Old 10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about running a top mount joel? if you dont wana run an interocoler in the front because of room.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

that's the plan.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awsome! yea i cut a hole in my hood and slapped a wrx scoop on it. I think the STI one is even larger u may wanna consider that one? good luck and update often!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

ummm i just looked at your pictures...

so the scoop is just for looks then?

is that the way greddy intended the piping to run? if so, good lord i'm glad i didn't buy it lol..
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago
ummm i just looked at your pictures...

so the scoop is just for looks then?

is that the way greddy intended the piping to run? if so, good lord i'm glad i didn't buy it lol..
Yes, he is running the Greddy Kit minus the intercooler.

Here is a pic of the intercooler piping when using the Greddy intercooler.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea the piping runs on top of the motor, look at my profile pics. I did the scoop to get air flow to the turbo housing and air to the brake booster & powersteering pump. Also to cool the pipes down. Between the meth and the scoop my pipes stay nice and cool. seems to work really well
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

sounds good!

yeah glad again i didn't go greddy.. a simple wire splice heals all these confounded pipes all over the place :D
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tamago. I have a feeling your going to do some amazing $hit on that engine, gives us details!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I hope my idea helped out Joel, If you make it reality, it'll definitely add to your already crazy setup that your planning.

Thanks for diagnosing the problem w/ my car.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned
SL Member

no problem Sergio, hope you get that diaphragm soon! if you want me to help you put it in just swing by the shop after work one day (call first lol)
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Alright cool, thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

a liquid to air ontercooler might be a better move than a top mount. If i learned anything working in a high end fab shop it is that top mounts are very inefficiant. On our cars it could be to the point where the parasidic loss is not worth the cooling available on our motors. After talks and mock ups under my hood we have determined that a liquid to air cooler could be mounted wit less than 4 feet of piping total, from compressor to throttle body. I know that it doesnt look as cool to have a heat exchanger in your grill verses an intercooler, but it may be the smarter option.

brent
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

parasitic losses? what are you talking about?

i will be force feeding this intercooler with a sucker fan
Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

well, update.

no real pictures, i opened up the turbo tonight, it's IMMACULATE. over 100K on it, and the blades look brand new. i will be re-bushing and re sealing this turbo before i finish the project, after all $70 will be worth it.

test fit the turbo tonight. the manifold is gonna have to be changed quite a bit. inlet is gonna have to face the other direction, which is fine, make wiring and piping much easier. the only problem i'm having is that i'm working alone (yeah, some friends i have lol) so i can't really take measurements AND hold the turbo up at the same time..

Quick Reply: Project: Angry Panda (V1.0)