Notices

S/C bogging at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry S/C bogging at low RPM

I've been searching for this on here and on google and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I installed a used Greddy S/C and Emanage on my '06 XB and now the car is bogging when I step on the gas from idle to about 2000rpm, then it takes off like a rocket. Since it was new, the car has always had a slight bog, taking off with the a/c running, but it seemed to get a little worse when I installed a Fujita SRI and even worse since the s/c install. It also seems to get worse over time. I have no red lights on the emanage and no CEL.

I've read it could be a vacuum leak. I've visually inspected the hoses and couldnt find anything and , at idle, I get a steady vacuum reading on the vacuum/boost gauge. I was thinking I need to get the Emanage Support Tool and fine tune the fuel trims but I wanted to get a consensus first.

I don't have an AFR gauge. I know, I need to pull the plugs and look at them. Perhaps I'll do that soon and post pics if necessary.

thanks
Dennis
Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be lack of fuel. Get a wideband AFR gauge, and see if you are lean, rich, or at or about 14.4.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was afraid someone would say that. I do need to get one but money is tight right now.

Thanks emrules
Dennis
Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yours is auto or manual? Mine is manual and does bog a little bit before taking off hard. Keep in mind I don't dump the clutch and I have really soft tires so they don't spin. Wideband A/F gauge is a good idea, I have one and a boost gauge.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

johnny, it's an auto. My tires are soft too. I guess I need that wb afr gauge. It may be a little while before I have the money. I have the boost gauge.

thanks
Dennis
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could also try cleaning the MAF sensor. Is the filter on your intake oiled? And did you add a step colder plugs and gap them at .032"? Just a thought anyways...
Old 07-24-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the NGK iridium plugs, but not a step colder. The filter is a Zex, the purple one with a nitrous nozzle. I did not oil it.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
SL Member

How long ago did you have the car tuned?

How were the AFRs after the tune?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Your running rich.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't had the car tuned. The emanage was already programmed for an 06 xb but I'm sure it could be tweaked. I need to get that software and look at it.

I thought it could be running rich.

Update: I changed my plugs from NGK BKR5 to BKR7, I'm guessing two steps colder, and they were already gapped at about .030. I also reset the ecu when I did it and that seems to have helped some. It still bogs a little.

Dennis
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got some pics of my plugs. they look pretty normal to me. what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails S/C bogging at low RPM-cimg0200.jpg   S/C bogging at low RPM-cimg0205.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Mine bogged with a stick and running the blitz kit sometimes.Seemed to be caused by a loose belt though,causing it to slip just enough to bog.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Justin, thanks for the tip. I think I'm gonna replace the belts and make sure they're good and tight. I've been having some belt chattering. Sounds like a 6 foot cricket under the hood sometimes, especially with the a/c on.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I ran the Greddy s/c on the auto box for a while, and had the same issue. Sit at a stop light, push the gas, and it chokes like it's going to cut out for 1/2 - 2 seconds before going. Sorry to say I never found the problem, I was just guessing it was the eManage fighting with the stock ECU. When I went turbo, eManage blue would cause a momentary bad lean condition when the auto trans shifted into 4th under boost also. I think it has something to do with blue not using vacuum / boost pressure to tune out of the box. You may want to invest in the option pressure sensor for blue and get a retune. I've ditched it for AEM F/IC.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See here for details on the sensor. it hooks to your vacuum line after the throttle body before the head. You'll need both the sensor for eManage (not the one for e-01) and the harness. it plugs into the two-prong grey plug on the existing adapter harness.

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/e-manage/
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
See here for details on the sensor. it hooks to your vacuum line after the throttle body before the head. You'll need both the sensor for eManage (not the one for e-01) and the harness. it plugs into the two-prong grey plug on the existing adapter harness.

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/e-manage/

Are we better off just ditching and going for the AEM? I've heard mixed reviews of the emanage blue and a lot of people seem to just change them out for something better...? I was looking into getting the camcon VVTi controller too but can't seem to get too many opinions on it. I would imagine I'd be better off getting in there (if it's worth it) before getting tuned, right?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm not sure it's worth it to ditch blue for the AEM with a supercharger, adding the pressure sensor is a bit cheaper. Talk to your tuner and see what they recommend.

FYI, I never ran an AF/R gauge on the supercharger either, it doesn't seem that necessary since you could never overboost a supercharger to induce an acute lean condition, and any dyno tuner will be using the tailpipe sniffer.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vetter, thanks so much for doing the pinout on that harness for the 2006 xb. That was most helpful.

I don't think the emanage is the problem because I unplugged it and it still bogged but HAD NOOO POWER. That thing is pitiful without the blue box. The problem isn't so bad that I can't live with it.

Im thinking about putting the stock air box back on just to eliminate that as a possibility. I've also been thinking it could be an o2 sensor problem since I no longer have catalytic converter. My cel came back on yesterday. I could just reset the ecu and get it to go off for another thousand miles or so.

Thanks so much for you guys help
Dennis
Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bamapolar
Vetter, thanks so much for doing the pinout on that harness for the 2006 xb. That was most helpful.

I don't think the emanage is the problem because I unplugged it and it still bogged but HAD NOOO POWER. That thing is pitiful without the blue box. The problem isn't so bad that I can't live with it.

Im thinking about putting the stock air box back on just to eliminate that as a possibility. I've also been thinking it could be an o2 sensor problem since I no longer have catalytic converter. My cel came back on yesterday. I could just reset the ecu and get it to go off for another thousand miles or so.

Thanks so much for you guys help
Dennis
You'd be running dangerously lean unplugging the emanage and just using factory ECU under load, hence no power. My stock air box made no difference, I just noticed more noise/throttle response when adding the AEM CAI. Why did you remove your converter? You'll just set codes for o2 sensor and converter and make your rear o2 sensor useless.

I'm switching to a 1ZZ tb soon and I'll see if it affects this at all, if it does i'll update.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Johnny,
I removed the entire exhaust system and installed an obx 4-2-1 header and a pipe with two resonators and a muffler. It had a bung for the o2 sensor. Since then I added the weapon r cel eliminator. I was actually gonna put my cat back on and it got stolen ON THAT DAY!. I'm still thinking about adding an aftermarket cat.

Oh, my cel went back off when I was on my way home today.

thanks
Dennis

Quick Reply: S/C bogging at low RPM