Notices

ZPI turbo kit discussion thread**

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fusionscion
i have a question.... i am very confused about this.... is the zpi racing set up for a manual xB in the engine bay, or thrown under the car? if under the car i just threw up
The system is a remote-mount turbo which connects directly to the header and is mounted underneath the car. While there should be plenty of clearance, there is a shield/guard being fabricated that will protect the unit as a whole. And the setup is the same whether it's auto or manual.

Proshop's xB is Auto, mine is Manual we are both the first to roll with it.

Save your vomitory practices for some on topic conversation, thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard a rumor that the ecu learns how you drive and can make it slower after a period of time with the emanage
Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Demetri
I heard a rumor that the ecu learns how you drive and can make it slower after a period of time with the emanage
Thats somewhat true, but its not limited to just the emanage. The ecu is the biggest problem anyone would have when it comes to modding the xb.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So whats the point of modding then?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The point of modding a car is to see where you can take it.. and how far you can take it... It's all about innovation, imagination, and having fun....

Up until this weekend I was gung ho about this project and many others that I'm working on, but due to the fact I was just laid off from my job, I will not be boosting my car in the immediate future. In fact ZPI is refunding my deposit within the next week. I'm really upset that I will not be able to participate in this innovative kit/design but, as they say... "Rent first.. Turbo second"....

I'll be here to answer as many questions as I can and also to support Billy in his quest to be the first boosted ZPI xB.....I hope to work with ZPI on other projects in the future and also continue a good relation with them.

Good luck to ZPI and Billy, hopefully some myths will be broken....
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cz3ch
The point of modding a car is to see where you can take it.. and how far you can take it... It's all abou innovation, imagination, and having fun....

Up until this weekend I was gung ho about this project and many others that I'm working on, but due to the fact I was just laid off from my job, I will not be boosting my car in the immediate future. In fact ZPI is refunding my deposit within the next week. I'm really upset that I will not be able to participate in this innovative kit/design but, as they say... "Rent first.. Turbo second"....

I'll be here to answer as many questions as I can and also to support Billy in his quest to be the first boosted ZPI xB.....I hope to work with ZPI on other projects in the future and also continue a good relation with them.

That's not what I meant. I mean whats the point of modding are xA/xB's if the ecu keeps slowing the car down everytime you mod something?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's not what I meant. I mean whats the point of modding are xA/xB's if the ecu keeps slowing the car down everytime you mod something?
The Ecu is adaptive but not that adaptive.. under a boosted condition it's actually a good thing that it learns and can compensate on its own for bigger injectors... Heck, ZPI ran their original turbo for the xB without an emanage and had no issues with AFR/lean condition/etc
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys are both right, but both wrong in someways. ZPI can run their kit on the dyno and on the street for a while but the ECU really start acting up anywhere from 4 days to a week. You will know what I mean when you drive the car. Something just doesnt feel right. I can tell you this from experience (75+ miles a day on a boosted xb). In fact, when the ECU gives up on trying to figure out what the heck is going on and the CEL comes on, thats when my xb runs best.

Anyways, back to zpi kit. I dont know why you guys didnt get the kit yet. http://turbokits.com/xA_xB_turbo_kits.html has had them posted for over 2 months now (even before I got my Greddy kit) and it says "ready to ship". Is this more BS or is there another ZPI we dont know about?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cz3ch
The point of modding a car is to see where you can take it.. and how far you can take it... It's all about innovation, imagination, and having fun....

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

the turbo kit for the xa, will the exhaust be a full exhaust or will it adapt to the axle back
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brownKIDDnate
the turbo kit for the xa, will the exhaust be a full exhaust or will it adapt to the axle back
There's typically not an exhaust included with a turbo kit. You'll have your downpipe which mates up with the Cat/B-pipe/Exhaust/etc... Then you're on your own from there.

The ZPI down pipe is 2.5 which you can then build a custom exhaust 2.5 back to a cannister, or flange out to 3" and go all the way back
Old 07-26-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what size are the stock injectors and what size are the ones that come with the kit. Will the fuel maps be for 91, 92, 93 or 94 octane? Octane will effect the timing as well and controlling the knock sensor. Pesonally from past experances with turbos, I'll take bigger injectors just to deal with the crappy 91 octane we have in CA.

Does anyone know what other car's injectors will fit into a XB motor?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsigone
what size are the stock injectors and what size are the ones that come with the kit. Will the fuel maps be for 91, 92, 93 or 94 octane? Octane will effect the timing as well and controlling the knock sensor. Pesonally from past experances with turbos, I'll take bigger injectors just to deal with the crappy 91 octane we have in CA.

Does anyone know what other car's injectors will fit into a XB motor?
I guess I will try to answer you since they have not been answering posts for a while....I think the stock injectors are about 270cc. The injectors that come with the ZPI kit, I believe is 380cc+. It may be 410cc. Yes, youll have to increase fuel and might need to retune for the 91 octane gas we have here in CA.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would an AFC be used to help piggy back on the emanagent since it seems to have some probs. When i was boosting my DSM, I was running 720cc injectors for 25-26psi on 91 octane. Turbo of choice was the PTE SC61 and was running 2.5-3* base timing.

I know it's a different ball game converting a NA to boost, but the theory of tuning for timing and knocks should be about the same, prolly with just a few more electronics involved.

I'm pretty new to the scion world (just sold my S13), what is the bottom end limit of these motors and does anyone make lower compression pistons already?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

would an AFC be used to help piggy back on the emanagent since it seems to have some probs. When i was boosting my DSM, I was running 720cc injectors for 25-26psi on 91 octane. Turbo of choice was the PTE SC61 and was running 2.5-3* base timing.

I know it's a different ball game converting a NA to boost, but the theory of tuning for timing and knocks should be about the same, prolly with just a few more electronics involved.

I'm pretty new to the scion world (just sold my S13), what is the bottom end limit of these motors and does anyone make lower compression pistons already?
Though you are going a bit off the topic of this kit discussion, hopefully here's some info that will help:

1.) You shouldn't need an AFC, the Emanage-blue piggy back tuner should be more than sufficient. If you want timing control you need something more standalone or something like a camcon, however with this kit as it stands you should not have to deal with any timing issues.

2.) The xB/xA engines seem to have a limit of about 8psi before internals become an issue and you need to bottom build. From there with the right pistons/rods/etc you could probably turn up the boost another 8lbs, but again this is uncharter territory right now. Zpi appears to be building a kit that is aimed for a great power gain and reliability.

ps... You should've kept the s13, it may be worth $ someday
Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to go off topic, just wanted to kinda show that I know what I'm talking about and not some kid thinking everything is easy.

from a user stand point, how easy is the emanagment to tune. IMO one map isn't going to work for all cars, all octane and weather conditions. I like the AFC because its very user friendly and don't need a laptop/dyno to tune it. Has anyone tried a MegeSquit with AFC on a boosted XB yet? I sure that boosting these are not common at all but I'd think there would be more alternative to tuning. The hardest part of boosting any NA car is tuning.

BTW I sold the S13 for twice of what i paid for it, so I made out good on it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay going back to the ecu part cant you just reset it after you install the turbo kit??
and will the check engine light be on after the kit installation???
i mean like wut roll hard says if it slows down my car and messes with the ecu i unno about the kit
not that im saying im not gonna get it
im thinking of getting it
Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the AFC because its very user friendly and don't need a laptop/dyno to tune it.
Thats probably the biggest mistake anyone can make is assuming you dont need dyno w/b tuning with the afc. I tune AFCs all day here. I have had 2 1g DSM awds that used AFC, my mr2 uses afc and vpc, and one of my s13s used afc as well. First of all the AFC's function and Emanage are the same. Both are piggy back and alter the airflow signal. The reason I say some can use the afc in place of the Emanage when you get some of the turbo kits out there is because most of the maps that come only have airflow corrections. Greddy's stock map that comes with their turbo kit has no airflow correction at all to compensate for the extra fuel needed. What they did was alter the injector duty cylce. In that case, the afc will work just as well and will be easier to use than the emanage. Remember the Emanage does NOT come with the cable and software. Only the ultimate emanage comes with that. Tuning of any kind, whether its afc, emanage, power fc, ems, etc will need to be done with a wideband and dyno. Anything else will be guess work and youre asking for either less power than you have potential for (assuming you tune ____obvious rich) or...youre asking to damage your motor.

As far as how easy is the Emange to tune. Its not an easy question to answer. Any monkey can press keys and make changes to a program or afc, but it takes someone that knows how to run a dyno and has experience tuning to make the right corrections.

I cant tell you how many poeple come here with lets say....cocktarded settings on their piggybacks.

Guys, lets get back on topic. If you have ECU questions, afc, emanage, etc make a new thread. This is a thread for the ZPI turbo kit. Post a new thread or ask me questions directly here http://smoothlinezforums.com/viewfor...753a15ae4e118f

Questions are generally answered within an hour. Lets stay on topic here....even if there is no turbo kit yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Thats probably the biggest mistake anyone can make is assuming you dont need dyno w/b tuning with the afc.
I have about a dozen friends down here in San Diego that has produced 400+HP and one that made 550 WHP without tuning time on the dyno. Most if not all of us street tuned our cars, go to the dyno shop and pay for our 3 pulls and go home. My GST made 409WHP on 28psi on its second pull on 110 octane. 1st pull was 402WHP just from street tuning with the AFC, EGT, and DSM logger. The car produced 387whp on 91 ____ gas and 26psi street tuned. BTW the car has 203k miles on the stock motor with cams. I'm sure you know how strong the DSMs are.

Back on topic. Will the maps that come with the kit, be for the higher octane that they have in FL? And if so, would it be possible to get maps for 91 ____ gas?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Thats probably the biggest mistake anyone can make is assuming you dont need dyno w/b tuning with the afc.
I have about a dozen friends down here in San Diego that has produced 400+HP and one that made 550 WHP without tuning time on the dyno. Most if not all of us street tuned our cars, go to the dyno shop and pay for our 3 pulls and go home. My GST made 409WHP on 28psi on its second pull on 110 octane. 1st pull was 402WHP just from street tuning with the AFC, EGT, and DSM logger. The car produced 387whp on 91 ____ gas and 26psi street tuned. BTW the car has 203k miles on the stock motor with cams. I'm sure you know how strong the DSMs are.

Back on topic. Will the maps that come with the kit, be for the higher octane that they have in FL? And if so, would it be possible to get maps for 91 ____ gas?
The dsm datalogger only takes info from the cars oem sensors. You can tune with your egt but by the time your egt hits rocket numbers its too late. I wonder what your AFR was when you dynod? Its really guess work man. Unless you tune your car on the street with a wideband datalogger, thats all it is, guess work. You can try to do the best you can but its not the same. My suggestion to you is to call ZPI directly. You wont get many answers here since the only people answering are Pro and Cz.

Quick Reply: ZPI turbo kit discussion thread**