Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

(4) JL Audio W3v2D2 15's or (1) Resonant Engineering XXX 18?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default (4) JL Audio W3v2D2 15's or (1) Resonant Engineering XXX 18?

Ok....
Our xB's have 17.9 cubic ft of Cargo area.
The new JL 15W3's need 1.5 cubic ft per sub (sealed) so I don't see it really being a problem to squeeze them back there.
The RE XXX 18's need 4.2 cubic ft per sub sealed and like 7.5 ported.
I just bought an Eclipse DA7232 amp that gives me 1000watts x2 @ 2ohms.
That would give me 2000watts to the DVC XXX and push it nicely with the RMS of the XXX being 1600watts.
Or that would give me 500watts to each of the JL 15W3's matching the RMS perfectly of the subs.
I've had good experience with JL but I hear the RE XXX are amazing. Like 156db with one 15" XXX.
I don't want to be the kid on the block that has 4 huge speakers that gets blown away by 1 huge speaker you know.
I know this is a rather retarded post for the simple fact of the cone area difference between four 15's and one 18 is so dramatic but I just wanted to get opinions from everyone....
So what do you think? 4 Smooth JLW3's or one over powered Beast of an 18?
I'm not worried about m Cargo space at all......it's there at my subs disposal.
Holla back!
O yeah I'm slightly more of an SQ than SPL person but I want Knockin pictures off the wall bass....
Old 06-18-2004, 07:26 AM
xBMNx

with a properly built ported box the XXX can get very loud and high spl...i guess the setup would depend on what your looking to achive from it

Old 06-18-2004, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand that. From what I have read the RE will straight rock!
But do you think it will out perform 4 15W3's in a sealed enclosure.
I figure 4 15's in a sealed enclosure will cave you chest in. You can cut any of JL's products short. It's crazy because 4 JL 15's need less air space than 1 RE XXX 18.....Thats crazy
Plus I want it to sound clean and tight. I like the sound of sealed enclosures. Maybe because I haven't really heard a great ported application....
Keep the suggestions coming.....
Old 06-18-2004, 06:56 PM
xBMNx

the 4-15" jl will thump hard and loud and will out preform 1 xxx 15" but the xxx in a ported box will be able to hit subsonic freqencies and drop big bass notes like you wouldn't belive most people run their setup around 40-45hz unless they know what there doing...for instance take a system tuned to 45hz sit in the vechile listening to a bass track that hits hard and low tones you'll feel like puking after a few minutes if the system hits hard now take a ported system tuned to say 25hz with the same track you will get the same afffect after about 45-60 seconds

if you do decide to run the XXX re website has good box designs setup for them already so a ported design should be quite easy to achive

Old 06-19-2004, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like.....no....I love low frequencies.
But I'm debating still. I mean with sealed enclosures and the speakers being 15's it will still get low but it will be able to hit more of a range of notes I believe.
It's just sounds crazy when you tell people you have 4 15's to.....haha
I mean I'm not in it for showing off my equipment or anything.....
How does the song go?
Four 15's didn't seen no wires then I heard "Booooom" from the amplifiers.....
I'm definetly going to bump that when I get the system.
If I do decide to go with the RE XXX I am thinking about getting 2 of them and getting another amp so I can push 2000watts to each speaker.....
But when it comes to that much power I don't see my charging system keeping up with that.
By the way I am getting a upgraded alternator from Dominick Iraggi.
Check out the forum he has all kinds of alternator options for our Scions
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...242&highlight=
Old 09-05-2004, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm new to this forum and the Scion, but as with any audio upgrade, 90% of your results are with your install. JL's are great subs, but they do not compare to an RE. As for a XXX, the are incredible subs and are very versatile. Stick with the XXX if you want SQL, get the MT if you want SPL.

Anyway, yes, a single XXX can blow away 4 JL subs if done correctly. They can hit very low in sealed boxes, they have the flatest BL curve of any sub on the market, and can take tons of power all day long.

I am sponsored by RE, and currently run 4 XXX 10's on ny SQ side, and 2 RE MT 18's on the SPL side. I have 1600RMS going to each 10, and they can handle it all day long. You don't even want to know what I send to the 18's.

Anyway, I am in dbDrag Extrem 5 and USACI Super Modified 1800+ in my Suzuki, and did a 163.1 certified in the kick panel during my last comp. All RE gear! You absolutely cannot go wrong with RE gear.

I am currently very much considering purchasing an xB tomorrow for my next project, as I believe it has what I am looking for for my next killer setup. And for a killer SQ and/or SPL setup, it would be very hard for me to consider using anything other than RE subs, sponsored or not.

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 09-05-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Why not go with a Eclipse Titanium or a diamond TDX 15" sub .

Thats very hard hitting bass but its also very clean.

Plus the titaniums work better in a small ported box box is about .75 cu ft and port is about 21 inches long. you can easily stick 2 of them back there.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
Scikotics
SL Member

Go with 2 JL AUDIO 12" w6 d4's with a 1000/1
Old 09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OrangeXbox
Go with 2 JL AUDIO 12" w6 d4's with a 1000/1
that sounds good to me...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 03 models?
The new W6's do not come in a 4ohm configuration....
I already have an Eclipse DA7232 2000watt amp.
Now I am really thinking about 2 Phoenix Elite 12's in a ported enclosure.....
Old 09-07-2004, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about 2 jl 12w7's with 2 1000/1 jl amps. now that would be crazy
Old 09-07-2004, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've read the RE XXX subs would take the W7's in SPL and not be far behind in SQ if any.
I love the W7's but they are too hyped.
I'm looking for something diffenent. CHeck out the Phoenix Elite and let me know if you like their specs.
I'm also impressed with the new MTX line.
I'm also looking at the Orion H2 subs....they are clean...
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Neither the MTX or the JL will beat the RE in SQ, not even close. As far as beating RE in SPL, that depends upon your goals for your system. All of the subs will hit hard and go low, and of course, that depends 90% on your install. Although it's not a XXX, I run 2 RE MT 18's and meter consistently in the low 160's, so the SPL is there.

Price is also another issue. Last time I checked retail pricing, RE was cheaper. I'm sure you can get each speaker at lower prices, but you can also have RE custom build your subs to your preferences.

Again, all the subs you mentioned are great subs, but hands down I would use RE against all of them. I have competed against all of them, and I have an RE Demo Vehicle, so if you have any other questions, please let me know. Hopefully soon I will be converting our RE Demo and Competition vehicle to a Scion, if I can ever find a dealer to sell me one

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 09-08-2004, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blackice.....
Welll how about I just ship you my vehicle and you can hook it up with the RE gear.
The MT are the monster Resonant speakers right? I think I have seen a side by side comparison of the two (MT and XXX) if I am not mistaken and the MT is seriously the most insane looking speaker I've ever seen.
I thought they were still in prototype.
How can I get some of the MT subs?
Actually I think I would only want (or need) one......
Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

popa.

The MT's are currently RE's SPL subwoofer, 18" monsters. RE will be releasing a new long throw subwoofer towards the end of the year, having a 40" xmax, but that subwoofer will not be for 99% of all vehicles.

With the amp that you mentioned you really aren't going to have enough power to get an MT really moving, although it will perform. If your goal is pure SPL only, no music, I would recommend the MT 18". Otherwise, I would recommend the XXX or the SX sub. The xB's have ALOT of room in them, are you going to use just the rear area or will you be removing the rear seats for an enclosure as well?

If you can let me know your price range I can help you further. (shipping will be extra of course, and these subs are big and heavy!)

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I am more into SQ but I would like to have the option to turn my sub up so loud it will hurt you.
You know where I am coming from?
I am getting a couple of sets of Focal Utipia components and I just want some crazy bass.
The MT's are currently RE's SPL subwoofer, 18" monsters. RE will be releasing a new long throw subwoofer towards the end of the year, having a 40" xmax, but that subwoofer will not be for 99% of all vehicles.
40" xmax?
Are you kidding me? That's the craziest thing I have ever heard in my life.
With the amp that you mentioned you really aren't going to have enough power to get an MT really moving, although it will perform.
2000watts wont get one sub really moving?

I really don't want to get into having to get 5 extra batteries and 3 alternators. I'm just going to get a 200amp alt, yellow top, and a 20farad capicator for my charging system.

Will 2000watts push 1 MT decently?

I really would like to say that money isn't an issue but it kind of is right now. It might take me a couple of months to save for the subs.

This isn't for competition. The truth is I have a bad back the the Bass viborations seem to be the only cure. I need low deep tones.....haha
Old 09-09-2004, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this 40" max....is that excursion? I can't believe that....I'll admit I know nothing about sound system components and such, but 40"? That's like from the back of the front seats to the middle of the cargo box in the xB.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this 40" max....is that excursion? I can't believe that....I'll admit I know nothing about sound system components and such, but 40"? That's like from the back of the front seats to the middle of the cargo box in the xB.
I believe xmax is peak to peak excursion. So 20" one way. I just broke out the ol yard stick. That seem preposterous in every aspect.
Especially considering that most of the top of the line SPL woofers will have a 3 or 4inch peak to peak excursion.

Maybe he meant 40mm xmax...
40cm would be rather out of reach I think.....

Could you imagine walking up to an xB and you see this speaker....you go in for a closer look and the owner of the car hits a bass note and the speaker jumps up and bites you.
Knocks you out cold.....hit you 15 times before you could blink....
Old 09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry folks, XMAX is in mm, not inches. Can't believe that I said that, no coffee yet this morning.

2000 RMS will definetly get an MT moving, no doubt, but the MT is designed for pure SPL, which is usually not associated with any type of music itself. So, I think the XXX will do what you are looking for. As for low bass, that will be 90% dependant upon your enclosure and how it is designed. The XXX's can get very low, no doubt, so I think they are what you are looking for, and will be better suited for the power that you have.

I have 1600RMS going to each of my 4 XXX 10's, and they take it well. An MT, on the other hand, can handle much more power. I know some guys running 16,000 watts per MT 18, but that is only for 3 second burps, not what you are looking to do.

With an xB you have all the room in the world, depending upon how much room you want to use. I think that 17 cubes would be with the rear seats removed as well as using the hatch area, which is what I will do if I go with the xB over the xA. With that much room, alot will happen, but it's really too much room for the combination you are looking to use. Do you have to use that much room?

Papa, I saw pictures of your ride and it really looks sweet. I sent you pictures of the RE Demo and Competition vehicle that I built so you can get an idea of what you can do which might help out a little. If you look where my 2 RE MT 18's are, that's only 8 cft. of enclosure space, so your 17 would be about double.

I'd have my Scion today if my local Toyota dealers weren't dicks. Man, it never used to be that hard to buy a car. Perhaps it's just my local area.

Kind Regards,
Matt
Old 09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

K man,
Here is what I want to do.

Cargo room is not important for me. So anything behind the rear seats is fair game. Honestly I don't care if it's 1 speaker or 4 but I want to get the most out of my amp and just the most I can get period.

If I got 2 RE XXX 12's or 15's would they sound good with 1000watts going to them?
Or would I be better off getting a lower wattage speaker and try to get as close to the RMS as possible?

My main goal is to get my system as clean and as loud as I possibly can with out having to loose any passenger room or majorly altering my electrical system.
An upgraded alternator is already planned along with a yellow top battery and a 20 farad capacitor and possibly a batcap.

What do you recommend?
I guess I am looking to get in the mid to upper 150's db wise.....if that's possible.
Looking at Ported enclosure for more SPL since the RE are already great with the SQ.

Quick Reply: (4) JL Audio W3v2D2 15's or (1) Resonant Engineering XXX 18?