Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket head unit install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket head unit install question

I searched and couldn't find anything on this. I just purchased a new pioneer head unit and when I got it ,I checked out the pricing to see how much it would be to install it at circuit city.They were saying that I needed 2 wiring harnesses because I am replacing the stock head unit. Then I went to best buy to see if they had the harness just to see if what circuit city had said was correct. Best buy pretty much said the same thing they said I needed some special harness because I still have the stock radio.I just want to know if there is any truth to this and if so what exactly will I need to install the unit? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.metraonline.com/product_l...el=xB&type=ALL
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you want to permanently cut off the stock harness, then yes, you will need adapter harnesses that have the female receptacles to mate with the Toyota plugs. There are two. One end of each plugs into the Toyota plugs, and the other is bare wires that you match up with the pioneer harness.
Sounds like in your case it'd be better to have a shop do it.
If you only got a single DIN unit, you'll need the mounting kit too. Even if you got a double-DIN, you'll need the brackets. I saw both at Fry's.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I bought the unit online because they're giving me the ipod adapter free with unit and they said everything needed to install it but I have doubts about that because of what Best Buy and Circuit City has said.The price was really good.I really don't wanna pay to install it because I went to Circuit City to price the unit and install and the guy gave me a price,I told him I had to think about it and would come back.I came back the next day and another guy helped me but when he gave me the price he charged me more than the other guy did they were charging me to install the ipod adapter when they were already doing the head unit and the guy that had helped me the previous day said they wouldnt charge me for that.The sad part is the guy that had helped me the previous day told the other guy to charge me for that.I think he was just ____ed because I didn't buy the head unit from him so he couldn't get the commission.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ajayaitch
Unless you want to permanently cut off the stock harness, then yes, you will need adapter harnesses that have the female receptacles to mate with the Toyota plugs. There are two. One end of each plugs into the Toyota plugs, and the other is bare wires that you match up with the pioneer harness.
Sounds like in your case it'd be better to have a shop do it.
If you only got a single DIN unit, you'll need the mounting kit too. Even if you got a double-DIN, you'll need the brackets. I saw both at Fry's.
Just in case I dont get what I need,I just wanna make sure if I buy the metra harness is that gonna come with everything I need or do I need to buy an additional harness to adapt to the stock plugs .
Thanks for the help
Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I only buy my car stereo stuff from Crutchfield.com cause the radio is free shipping, free radio bracket and free radio harness...can't beat that...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure they don't charge you for 2 wire harnesses. One is the main harness and the other is a mini-harness but they both come in the same package under one price. If there is a Fry's in your area you can go there and buy it from them, expect to pay $20 at retail price. looks like this...
Source: http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-70-1761-To...ayphotohosting
Old 04-16-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

cool thanks see circuit city was trying to charge me for 2 harnesses I thought that was bs
Old 04-16-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of circuit city sales people dont get commission. Second off I want to clear up why circuit city told you that you will need 2 harnesses. They will sell you the wiring adapter that connects to the toyota side wiring harness, and another wiring adapter that connects to the radio itself. Both of these harness then connect together through a universal plug. This eliminates the need to match up all the colors from the harness indiviually - its literally 100percent plug and play. These are called smart harnesses and are exclusive to circuit city as far as I know. If you get the radio installed anywhere else they will just sell you the adapter that connects to your factory toyota wiring and then manually pair up that harness to the the harness that comes in the radio box. Let me know if you dont understand.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tbone587
Both of these harness then connect together through a universal plug. This eliminates the need to match up all the colors from the harness indiviually - its literally 100percent plug and play. These are called smart harnesses and are exclusive to circuit city as far as I know.
I have seen a few aftermarket HU with the plug, but most just have the wires hanging out of the HU. The poster didnt say what online store he purchased it from, it kinda sounds like he got it from circut city.com, but maybe circut city only stocks these kinds of HUs, so i could be wrong.

Hey 1sloxb, tell use if the wires in the back of your HU are attached via a plug or are permanently conncect?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go on ebay and find the harness. You can get it for around $10 total. Also, you will need a kit to install your fsingle din racdio into the double din opening. you can also find these on ebay for about $10 shipped. I am sure there are some walk throughs on how t oinstall a radio in a box. Use the search funtion in this forum. It should only take about 20 minutes to install your new radio.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just my opinion on the smart harnesses is this. Why would you buy another harness to save the installer a couple of minutes? The aftermarket deck you bought has a harness in it that needs to be wired to the harness you do need. I think it is dirty retail and just another way to get some bucks out of you. Not bashing the installers, just the corporate dudes that make the decisions.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

First of circuit city sales people dont get commission. Second off I want to clear up why circuit city told you that you will need 2 harnesses. They will sell you the wiring adapter that connects to the toyota side wiring harness, and another wiring adapter that connects to the radio itself. Both of these harness then connect together through a universal plug. This eliminates the need to match up all the colors from the harness indiviually - its literally 100percent plug and play. These are called smart harnesses and are exclusive to circuit city as far as I know. If you get the radio installed anywhere else they will just sell you the adapter that connects to your factory toyota wiring and then manually pair up that harness to the the harness that comes in the radio box. Let me know if you dont understand.
Well either way it was grimey that the dude originally told me that they would install the ipod adapter for free and then the next day tell the guy to charge me for it right after he talked to me again and said I remember you from yesterday basically its bad buisness.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
Both of these harness then connect together through a universal plug. This eliminates the need to match up all the colors from the harness indiviually - its literally 100percent plug and play. These are called smart harnesses and are exclusive to circuit city as far as I know.
I have seen a few aftermarket HU with the plug, but most just have the wires hanging out of the HU. The poster didnt say what online store he purchased it from, it kinda sounds like he got it from circut city.com, but maybe circut city only stocks these kinds of HUs, so i could be wrong.

Hey 1sloxb, tell use if the wires in the back of your HU are attached via a plug or are permanently conncect?
I haven't got the unit yet buy as soon as I do I'll let you know.