Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AHHH! M/T Newb needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default AHHH! M/T Newb needs help!

Hey guys,
I have a problem when accelerating sometimes. I'm a M/T newb, but I think I'm getting really good at it. But sometimes, I will start from a stop, in first gear, and the car with bog > bounce > my foot will bounce as well hitting the gas more for a split second causing my car to go fast > car will bog again > repeat. It really makes me feel like a guy that doesn't know how to drive . I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins.

Would getting lowering springs (TRD? Tanabe? Tein?) fix the problem? Or do I just need to learn how to drive? If so, what do I need to do? Does that mean I have to accelerate more, or what?

Thanks...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your springs arent the problem. id just take some time to get ur driving down. everyone's a little shaky with the manual at first. and if u do go with springs...go with the tanabe df210's
Old 03-30-2004, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

It usually happens when going down an incline onto a road...I guess I'll just play with the clutch more...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea it almost feel like the car is leaping forward..... your not putting enough pressure on the clutch or your not holding in long enough.... just take your time.....
Old 03-31-2004, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It took me a while to get my shifting down pat. but over time I finally got it, just keep practicing...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

when you're first learning try to learn by only the clutch... once you master the clutch then move on to pressing the gas. most people teach by half clutch half gas, just use half clutch until the car starts rolling cleanly then give a little gas, this is better to learn on a slope when your car starts rollin back, just make sure no ones behind you. it'll teach you not to over-rev and burn out and what not also. if in doubt, use the clutch.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First gear on this car is kinda short. Let off the clutch too soon and you'll get the shake/stall unless you can hit the gas or clutch fast enough. Too much gas and you rev really high. As already suggested, use the half-n-half technique until you get used to the clutch. Shouldn't take long. This is the easiest clutch in the world to learn on.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea, it's nice having it short... just put a stiffer and spring and it'll feel like you got a mean clutch on it, lol.

the clutch catch is only about 1-1.5" deep... you don't gotta press the pedal all the way in. i barely touch my clutch when i shift... just tap it and shift, like it like that. :D
Old 04-01-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by tbblizzard
yea, it's nice having it short... just put a stiffer and spring and it'll feel like you got a mean clutch on it, lol.

the clutch catch is only about 1-1.5" deep... you don't gotta press the pedal all the way in. i barely touch my clutch when i shift... just tap it and shift, like it like that. :D
me too.... dont get too lazy or GRRRRRRRind :twisted:
Old 04-02-2004, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

i learned on a taurus SHO, those clutches are so high up it was insane to freakin learn.,. now i feel like the clutch friction-point is too shallow on my xB.. but its much much easier. keep practicing, you'll get it
Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno how someone with no teacher is suppose to learn from clutch only :D Dying out is not really good for the car at all... With this method, they'll die out about a billion times, and in their new car!!

I learned by myself in my new WRX... If you think this is hard, drive the ugly subby tranny and AWD... (totalled it so dying out when it was new don't matter now :D)

I taught my cousin to drive stick too and he's got the hang of it after a week...

1) Find a dead end street with no residence and go there at a safe time with low to no traffic... Or an empty lot...

2) Practice reving your car and holding the gas at 1.5 RPM...

3) Once you're steady on the gas, start practicing with clutch and let it go until you feel the car move... (at 1.5, you should get a LOT of clutch rattle to get you familiar with the catch point)

4) As the clutch engauges, you'll notice your rev drop... Now keep the rev above 1 and under 1.5... If you're dropping REALLY fast, step on some more clutch, if you're dropping slow, give it a bit of gas... As long as you're above 1, and the closer you are to 1, you'll have the quickest and smoothest start... If you're gasing too hard, just clutch in and shift into N and start over... (this means you need more practice with your gas control)

5) Drive like this for at least a week, (or until your foot can start finding confidence to find the clutch catch point) then slowly and slowy rev as little as possible to start your car.. Meaning drop to maybe 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, till you barely gas to get the car started...

As for me, I still rev a bit harder (say 1.2 rpm) from a dead start to get the car moving faster, but in traffic you should be able to drive a car without gas at all or barely any...

Hope this helps... And as for a hill, don't bother with it if you're new, you will probably be stuck there... Get comfortable with flat grounds before you start messing with hills or else you are just abusing your drive train...