Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp placement in tC

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Amp placement in tC

This will probably get moved to ICE, but I figured here would work for now....

Gonna be placing a JL 500/1 amp (to power my JL 12w3v2) in my tC, and was hoping those of you who have somethign similar in size might tell me some of the best placements for it. Gonna have a custom fabb box in right rear well (hopefully) for the speaker, so, where would you suggest the amp go? Seen some under the spare tire cover, but didn't know if heat would be a problem there (Ohio resident).

Hit me with some ideas!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen a few on the back of the rear seat - or rather that piece that folds up with it. Didn't look too bad.

And yes... moved to ICE...
Old 09-21-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Amp placement in tC

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr

Gonna be placing a JL 500/1 amp (to power my JL 12w3v2) in my tC, and was hoping those of you who have somethign similar in size might tell me some of the best placements for it. Gonna have a custom fabb box in right rear well (hopefully) for the speaker, so, where would you suggest the amp go? Seen some under the spare tire cover, but didn't know if heat would be a problem there (Ohio resident).

Hit me with some ideas!
Judging from the people who did put their amps in that space under the spare tire cover, I would say that as long as your amp has some fans on it (preferably a push/pull configuration, where one fan pulls in cooler air, and one pushes it out) it would be OK. I believe Dr. Isotope did his that way and hasn't had any heat issues. I'm planning to do mine that way but with Las Vegas heat, we'll see how long it lasts. To be honest, I don't think I'll have a problem.

If that didn't work out, you could always fabricate a flat plate on the left side of the trunk, out of like 1/2" MDF or something, then cover it in matching carpet, and mount the amp to that.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jaydub

Hit me with some ideas!
Judging from the people who did put their amps in that space under the spare tire cover, I would say that as long as your amp has some fans on it (preferably a push/pull configuration, where one fan pulls in cooler air, and one pushes it out) it would be OK. I believe Dr. Isotope did his that way and hasn't had any heat issues. I'm planning to do mine that way but with Las Vegas heat, we'll see how long it lasts. To be honest, I don't think I'll have a problem.

If that didn't work out, you could always fabricate a flat plate on the left side of the trunk, out of like 1/2" MDF or something, then cover it in matching carpet, and mount the amp to that.
I like the second one, esp. if your sub is already on the right side.

And happy belated b-day Jay.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Originally Posted by jaydub

Hit me with some ideas!

I like the second one, esp. if your sub is already on the right side.

And happy belated b-day Jay.
thanks!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

Here's what I did...

Old 09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice setups! I'm doing mine in an almost plain-jane setup:

Wedge box with 2 10" subs on the vertical side of the box with cap and my amps on the inclined side of the box with the distro blocks. Will take pics later once I have money for the box.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mmm, well it was my hope that my setup wouldn't get in the way of my spare tire
Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paintball or Dyltone.. I can't really tell from the picture but do either of you guys have plexiglass or anything like that over the wholes in the trunk?? I'm thinking about placing my amp in the same place but I wanted to put a cover on it like plexiglass and maybe some fans on it to keep the air flowing. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could just put 2 fans (in the carpet) to get the air circulating. One blowing in and the other out. I don't really wanna show off the amp. I just wanna be able to place it in there to get the air flowing.. What do you guys think?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm in the same boat, Nynativ. This isn't a show car, its my driver car
Old 09-23-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Attach it under one of the front seats. Then you get penty of airflow.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYNATIV
Paintball or Dyltone.. I can't really tell from the picture but do either of you guys have plexiglass or anything like that over the wholes in the trunk?? I'm thinking about placing my amp in the same place but I wanted to put a cover on it like plexiglass and maybe some fans on it to keep the air flowing. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could just put 2 fans (in the carpet) to get the air circulating. One blowing in and the other out. I don't really wanna show off the amp. I just wanna be able to place it in there to get the air flowing.. What do you guys think?
Yes, i have plexi over the amps... They are mounted in the middle of the box on an angle and I have 2 squirrel gage fans (on relays) blowing in to holes on either side of the amp box. The air goes in to the amp box on the bottom and circulates under the amp then across the fins then on top of the amps.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice install. Did you do it by yourself? Or did you have someone else do it? Do you ever have any problems with the amps getting too hot?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Yes, i have plexi over the amps... They are mounted in the middle of the box on an angle and I have 2 squirrel gage fans (on relays) blowing in to holes on either side of the amp box. The air goes in to the amp box on the bottom and circulates under the amp then across the fins then on top of the amps.
sounds excellent. I plan to use a couple of these:

Probably not the stinger jobbies, but something similar.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

No the amps don't get hot at all.

That is the exact type of fan I have.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
No the amps don't get hot at all.

That is the exact type of fan I have.
Are yours Stinger, or did you find an off-brand?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned
SL Member

Stinger
Old 09-23-2005, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you probably can't hear it when the radio is blasting. Is the fan loud when the radio is off?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you probably can't hear it when the radio is blasting. Is the fan loud when the radio is off?
Why would the fans be on if the radio was off ?

Quick Reply: Amp placement in tC