Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Another audio help thread!...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Another audio help thread!...

Okay, I'm looking another system. I want to do 1 really powerful 12" sub, and an amp to match. I don't know much about car audio, so I have it narrowed down to 3 subs, but I have no idea what kind of amp to pair it with???? i.e RMS wattage, mono, 2 channel, 4 channel, etc. I don't want to spend a whole lot on an amp, as I'm kind of on a tight budget. I would love opinions on which of 3 subs listed you guys would recommend and what spec amp to use with the sub? Also, what brand HU's would everyone recommend?
I know this is probably a very redundant question, and I do apologize for my stereotypical girl ignorance when it comes to car audio!

These are the 3 sub choices:
Audiobahn AW1206T:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiobahn-AW1206...QQcmdZViewItem

Pioneer Premier TS-W3004SPL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-...QQcmdZViewItem

Pioneer Premier TS-W306DVC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pioneer-12-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Which sub and what amp???
Thanks so much guys!!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Saw this on sounddomain forums... RE Audio XXX Subwoofer Freeair Excursion Test

It's worth looking into dude!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

RE Audio Website
Old 04-11-2006, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

this would be a great amplifier for that subwoofer, if u want to stick with the audiobahn company, that subwoofer is capable of 4 ohms and 2 ohms, "ohms should match each other, for instance 4 ohm subwoofer should go with a 4 ohm amplifier, most 4 ohm amplifiers are capable of holdin 2 ohms, the lower the ohms on the amplifier the more power the amplifier puts out, for ex, if the 2 channel amplifier puts out 150 watts rms at 4 ohms it will put out 300 watt rms at 2 ohms. but remember the sub and amp have to be capable of 4 ohm 2 ohm or whatever ohms ur goin with, lol." but like i said before this amplifier is a good one for that subwoofer and is pretty good, my g/f's brother bought it and it bumps his jl wo's 12's. this amp is capable of holding 2 ohms just like ur subwoofer is capable of holding 2 ohms.
http://<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/A...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-11-2006, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member

oh p.s. in order to change ohm load the subwoofer has to be dual voice coil, and the first pioner subwoofer says 3000 watts max, but is rated at 750 rms that subwoofer won't even take 1000 watts i bet, and the second subwoofer is rated at 1000 watts max, and since its pioneer i am guessing that it is 350 watt rms, probably won't handle more than 500 watt max. GO WITH THE AUDIOBAHN SUBWOOFER. pioneer only makes good HU's and dvd systems, not very good speakers amps and subs. I would definetly go with the pioneer 5800mp or 6800mp. I hope that helps you and I know I probably confused u SORRY.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The pioneer 3000w SPL sub
Old 04-11-2006, 01:24 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've blown 3 audiobahn subs with less power than their nominal input rating and never til this day blown a single pioneer and over the years i've owned 5 pioneer subs.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I want an amp that will push the maximum amount of power iinto the subs that the subs can handle. Can someone just tell me the specs of an amp I would need?? ?x2Ohms/?x4ohms? etc? And if I should go with a MONO amp or a 2CHANNEL or 4CHANNEL?
Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok dude follow this step.
1. take that audiobahn off. they wont handle what they are rated for unless u get the eternal line of audiobahn i hear they can take the beating. good amps would be memphis cause thats my fav. oh and stay with a mono amp if ur just running 1 sub. kicker is good. match the rms of the sub to the amp. if the amp pushes 500 rms at 1 ohm get a dual 2 ohm sub. if the amp pushes 500 rms at 2 ohms get a dual 4 ohm sub. 2 channel is usually for 2 subs or your front speakers depending on the rms ratings. the 4 channel depending on the rms rating will power all of your components door speakers mids highs tweeters. umm and depending on how much wattage ur goin to run make sure ur electrical system can handle it. caps are not the answer. just a bandaid over the real problem. the big 3 would help. im telling u all this just in case u plan on doin anything bigger in the future. and if u didnt know already the alternator in the xb is 80amp. the most wrms that u can put on there is 750 ur lights will dim a little. i hope i helped even a little. and add to that list the kicker cvx those are nice subs.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

kicker and memphis and a few other are underated. and will put out alot more then they say on the box. also with kicker they come with their true ratings on the birth sheet.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tychpa
oh p.s. in order to change ohm load the subwoofer has to be dual voice coil, and the first pioneer subwoofer says 3000 watts max, but is rated at 750 rms that subwoofer won't even take 1000 watts i bet, and the second subwoofer is rated at 1000 watts max, and since its pioneer i am guessing that it is 350 watt rms, probably won't handle more than 500 watt max. GO WITH THE AUDIOBAHN SUBWOOFER. pioneer only makes good HU's and dvd systems, not very good speakers amps and subs. I would definetly go with the pioneer 5800mp or 6800mp. I hope that helps you and I know I probably confused u SORRY.
Just to let you know, the Pioneer TS-W306DVC can hold every bit of 1000 watts. I have four of the 12's and I have a 1000watt d class amp on each one and they don't have any problems. I've probably had that set up for about 9 months now and it still runs like a champ. Pioneer doesn't put out any B.S. equipment. If they put their name on it, then it's good. If it were me, I'd go with the 3000 SPL's. I'm 95% sure that they could handle every bit of their max. Most subs that are made for SPL applications(someone correct me if I'm wrong) are usually good for one type of note that hits in 3-5 second bursts. They aren't made to be played with everyday listening but are able too, they just won't perform at their peak. It's just my 2 cents though.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like another situation where a NOOB is wanting the world for nothing. Not to knock you or anything, but it is all too common.

If it were me, I would dump all three of your choices, especially the Audiobahn.

Looking at your choices you want a 12" sub with plenty of power handling for about $100. With that in mind I would recommend one of the following...

2004 Model Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 Dual 4-Ohm (600 WRMS)
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24476

Diamond Audio D312d4 Dual 4-Ohm (400 WRMS)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5527.html

Then you could easily find a very good amp for under $200 that would support 400 watts RMS @ 2 Ohm. I think in the end you would be much happier with either of those subs and a quality amp. They will provide pretty much all the bass you could need, unless all you really want is an SPL sub and you'll get much better sound quality out of them.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Looks like another situation where a NOOB is wanting the world for nothing. Not to knock you or anything, but it is all too common.
Hey!!.......I resemble that remark

Folks like RTon20s are cool enough to offer their advice and share
their knowledge so definitely take advantage of their help before you
fork over that hard earned dough.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Looking at your choices you want a 12" sub with plenty of power handling for about $100. With that in mind I would recommend one of the following...

2004 Model Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 Dual 4-Ohm (600 WRMS)
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24476

Diamond Audio D312d4 Dual 4-Ohm (400 WRMS)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5527.html

Then you could easily find a very good amp for under $200 that would support 400 watts RMS @ 2 Ohm. I think in the end you would be much happier with either of those subs and a quality amp. They will provide pretty much all the bass you could need, unless all you really want is an SPL sub and you'll get much better sound quality out of them.
I forgot all about those but yeah, those are some good selections for the money and they won't sound like crap. Whatever you do, just make sure that you don't regret it. Trust me on this one though, you probably won't keep it forever anyways. One day, you're gonna want to upgrade just because. I thought that I was gonna keep mine but I'm changing it all out because I want to wall the whole back end off. Anyways, good luck and enjoy. Peace ...........
Old 04-12-2006, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dont leave out RE audio. www.Reaudio.com
Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

501 and RT are on the money...companies like Resonant Engineering, Elemental Designs, Image Dynamics, and Adire audio all make some of the most bada$$ subs out there and they're all priced very resonably. The reasons they can do this are because most of those companies are direct sellers (no middleman), they don't spend any money on marketing(low overhead), and they don't abuse their good reputation by simultaneously raising prices and lowering quality..,oh, and they don't waste money on chrome, flame looking baskets!!

Diamond Audio is also a good brand but they're a little more mainstream than the other brands I listed, so their 'value' isn't quite as good.

STAY AWAY FROM AUDIOBAHN...they suck, they can't handle the wattage they're rated at and they blow like crazy...as for the pioneers...they're the best subs pioneer makes, but pioneer is a company like sony, who make so much crap that all of it is average. Before anybody bites my head off Pioneer mobile electronics are far superior to sony but they still have the same problem (Pioneer does make a fine nav system though).
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my L7s take a beating everyday. they only warmed up like 4 times smelled glue. its normal for them. but they take a beating. only had them hooked up for a week. or so now. re subs really kick a$$ the new xxx line subs are massive oh my god. the 12 is like 20 in. tall im still shocked. i dont know if u would call memphis mainstream or not. but those are pretty good amps. soundstream has some pretty good stuff from what i hear.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i take that back more like a foot and a half.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

u cant tell me thats not a big 12 in. or maybe is a 15.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member

ok here ya go get a rockford fosgate stage 3 12 inch woofer and a p3002 rockford fosgate amplifier and u will be good. the sub is 4 ohm dual voice coil and the amp is 4 ohm as well. trust me u will be satisfied

Quick Reply: Another audio help thread!...