Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Any thoughts of this subwoofer for the tC??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any thoughts of this subwoofer for the tC??

When I was looking for a sub for my truck, I basically came down to 2 choices, the Kenwood Woox KSC-WA62RC (which i have now), which is small, sometimes underpowerd, but adequate. The other one is the Infinity Basslink, which is more powerful, but also slightly larger. Unfortunately, it was too large for what I needed.

The tC, however, should be perfect for this. It's a 10" enclosed powered sub, similar to the Bazooka sub made for the tC, but with more power, 200watts instead of 100watts. Plus it has a wired remote (just like my kenwood), which is damn handy. I heard it in Circuit City once and it really sounds good. Plus it's compact. Two versions are available, the black and the clear.

What do you guys think?

Here's Crutchfield's detailed info:
Features

Design: The BassLink brings together a 10" subwoofer (treated paper cone, foam surround), a 10" passive radiator (to increase efficiency and limit distortion), and an extremely efficient, specially designed 200-watt Class D amplifier that work as an integrated system. Special circuitry monitors voice coil position to maintain linearity at high power levels, so you hear loud, clear bass.

Enclosure Type and Materials: The enclosure is made of an acoustically inert polymer which is rigid enough to resist flexing and dampens any resonance.

Servo-Control: The servo-control system continually monitors the performance of the speaker and ensures that the amplifier delivers exactly the right amount of power.

Class D Amplifier: This unit has a built-in 200 watt Class D amplifier which is highly efficient and designed specifically for use with the subwoofer and passive radiator combination.

Frequency response; 20-120 Hz

Auto Turn-On Feature: When the speaker level inputs are used, the system will automatically turn on and off with the radio. Note: The auto turn-on feature does not operate when the preamp level inputs are used, unless the remote turn-on lead is connected.

Crossover: The crossover frequency can be varied from 50Hz to 120Hz for a seamless transition between the output of this unit and that of the other speakers in the vehicle. The crossover has a slope of 12dB per octave.

Bass Boost: The amplifier includes a continuously adjustable bass boost from -6 to +3dB centered at 40Hz.

Phase Switch: Allows you to select normal or reverse for best bass.

Mounting: You will be able to put BassLink in a variety of in-vehicle locations, thanks to its compact size and mounting feet that enable the rigid polymer box to be mounted vertically or horizontally.

Vertical Mounting Dimensions: W=14.5", H=13.375", D=9.875"
Horizontal Mounting Dimensions: W=14.5", H=9.5", D=15.1875"

BassLink LC Remote Level Control

Overview: The BassLink LC allows you to adjust the volume of BassLink powered subwoofer.

Installation: The BassLink LC may be mounted under the dash or may be dismantled and mounted inside the dash for a factory appearance.

Under-dash Mounting: Select a mounting location that allows easy, safe access to the control while driving. The BassLink LC has mounting "ears" to use as a template for drilling pilot holes. Attach screws through the "ears" to secure the BassLink LC to the mounting surface.
In-dash Mounting: Disassemble the BassLink LC by removing the Phillips-head screws on the front, rear, and top panels. Remove the bottom and side panels and disengage the RJ11 connector from the back panel. Choose a mounting location that allows easy, safe access to the control, and provides 1-3/4" clearance behind the mounting surface. Drill a 9/32" hole in the mounting surface. Feed the BassLink LC's potentiometer (with the **** removed) through the hold and use the nut provided to hold the control in place.
Connecting to BassLink: Route the cable behind the dash or other interior panels and under the carpet. Do not route the cable outside the vehicle. Connect the cable on both ends.
Inputs and Controls

Inputs:

Universal Interface: Front and rear, left and right Universal interface speaker-level inputs (for use with the supplied speaker-level input wiring harnesses)
Line Level RCA Inputs: Front and rear, left and right female preamp level inputs
+BATT (+12V): Gold-plated screw terminal, 0.350" wide
REM (remote turn-on): Gold-plated screw terminal, 0.350" wide
GND (ground): Gold-plated screw terminal, 0.350" wide
Fuse: There is an installed 20 Amp fuse
Remote Gain Control: Phone type jack for included remote gain control
Controls:

Gain Control: Rotary control that sets gain (variable from 250mV to 4V)
Crossover Control: Rotary control that sets crossover point (variable from 50 to 120Hz)
Bass Boost Control: Rotary control that sets bass boost level (variable from -6 to +3dB, centered at 40Hz)
Phase Switch: Selects normal or reverse phase (0 or 180 degrees)
Power LED: The power LED glows red when the BassLink is on
Servo LED: The Servo LED glows green when the servo circuit has determined that the woofer has reached maximum excursion and power to the woofer has been modified to provide maximum performance. The LED should light momentarily during high-level bass transients. Note: Avoid adjustments that cause the LED to remain lit for an extended period of time

Finally, Crutchfield's review of it, comparing it with the Kenwood sub I have:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...s_reviews.html
Old 07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, no comments??
Old 07-20-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Audicted
hmm, no comments??
It has only been like four hours. There is absolutely no need to bump this. :?:

And it's in the wrong forum? Try the ICE forum.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you by any chance do a search on this...cause i know that ive commented on it already.

ive got it in my xB. very clean an accurate sound...very nice compliment to the other speakers...space saver...good controls...but if you ever want to go really low BASS wise, its not going to get you there...

i would recommend it.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said this sounds good? I've never personally heard it but I can assume its better than the bazooka thing. If you want a system thats slightly better than stock, go for it. If you want something that actually sounds "good" start with some component speakers for the car or even a better head unit. It will do the job, but so will many other things. Personally, I like a custom install more than just a big box with some speakers in it sitting in my trunk. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xB ey
did you by any chance do a search on this...cause i know that ive commented on it already.

ive got it in my xB. very clean an accurate sound...very nice compliment to the other speakers...space saver...good controls...but if you ever want to go really low BASS wise, its not going to get you there...

i would recommend it.
do you have a photo of it??

Here's 2 photos of it in a BMW 7-series trunk (source: cardomain.com)\

Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by technetium
You said this sounds good? I've never personally heard it but I can assume its better than the bazooka thing. If you want a system thats slightly better than stock, go for it. If you want something that actually sounds "good" start with some component speakers for the car or even a better head unit. It will do the job, but so will many other things. Personally, I like a custom install more than just a big box with some speakers in it sitting in my trunk. Good luck with your choice.
Well, this is just the sub, we're not talking about the rest of the speaker systems, yet.

By the way, any ideas whether the clear Basslink glows like this, or was this a custom setup?

Old 07-20-2004, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if youre looking at the basslink...more than likely you dont want to do too much as in a full on custom install. i would agree to change out your stock speakers and deck ASAP. actually, if you just switched out the deck...you would hear an amazing difference.

Audicted - btw...love the new A8 (or even the old A8 for that matter), but i'd have to go with the S55 AMG (V8 Kompressor)...or take it out of this world with the CL / SL65 AMG (and coming soon S65 AMG - V12 Kompressor)...

...we can dream, can't we... :?:
Old 07-20-2004, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have one. It was better than a Bazooka tube, but not as good as a real sub. The plastic was sturdy but not as sturdy as MDF, that's why the Basslink has a passive radiator on the bottom. You gain some volume but lose the tightness and response. I believe the factory Bazooka "box" would sound better in the tC. I plan on getting one.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
I used to have one. It was better than a Bazooka tube, but not as good as a real sub. The plastic was sturdy but not as sturdy as MDF, that's why the Basslink has a passive radiator on the bottom. You gain some volume but lose the tightness and response. I believe the factory Bazooka "box" would sound better in the tC. I plan on getting one.
but the factory Bazooka Box only has 100 Max watts, versus 200 max watts of the Infiniti...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more power is useless unless it can be utilized fully. The reason the Basslink has 200 watts is because of the type of enclosure it's in, and it needs to have volume to make up for frequency response. Basslink sounds good, but a good box with some nice subs will sound a LOT better. I'm not sure what everyone thinks of the stock stereo in the tC but I personally think it's a quality system for a stock unit. When tuned to your liking it's actually pretty clear and has *decent* bass considering there's no sub(s). I've replaced the stereo in just about every car I've owned but I may leave this one alone aside from adding some woofers to the cargo area.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Y
Originally Posted by technetium
Personally, I like a custom install more than just a big box with some speakers in it sitting in my trunk. Good luck with your choice.
who doesn't like a custom install!?